RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2020, 01:44 PM   #1

Battery Drain

I have a new Pinecrest and have more problems. After I put in storage between trips I turn everything off and use pull the battery cut off switch. Its new type that you turn in the off position and pull out. When I back to go on another trip I have a dead battery, overtime. I use my jumper box so I can use the jacks hook up and go. My the time we get to the campground I have a full charge. I ask the dealer to look at it and he says its just fine , nothing wrong. I had checked the battery and it had no water in any cell. So I filled.
I took it to him a second time after adding water and again nothing wrong.
I decided to install a Lithium Batteryborn battery and aging I go to leave and dead battery . I double checked and the battery cut off switch is out , nothing on.

I have just ordered and received 4 solar panels (GoPower)and controller and hope to have installed soon. The question is how do I start looking for what is drawing the battery down. I an talking three days in-between trips. I installed the Battery and have a second one to install. I triple checked the installation to make sure everything was connected as before.
I do not want to add Solar before I can figure out what is drawing the battery down. The dealer said the propane detector would do it along with other small lights. I just don't think in three days anything could be drawing down the battery
that quick again the switch is out of the socket
How do I check , especially with a dead battery ??

I have the solar set up and charging the dead battery at home on Lithium setting and seems to be charging just fine.

The dealer said human error most likely. I have given up on them at this point.
Massanutten is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2020, 02:02 PM   #2

Before I went any farther I would charge the battery, then I would disconnect the battery ground cable and test the battery voltage every day to see if the battery continues to go dead.
With the battery out of the circuit it should hold a charge for a couple months.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:10 PM   #3

Maybe not everything runs through the switch....
Old 09-09-2020, 04:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Before I went any farther I would charge the battery, then I would disconnect the battery ground cable and test the battery voltage every day to see if the battery continues to go dead.
With the battery out of the circuit it should hold a charge for a couple months.
Thanks
I will try that The problem is where the wires come in they are not marked some red turn into black with no markings. I do have a second battery I will drop in and try tomorrow.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massanutten View Post
Thanks
I will try that The problem is where the wires come in they are not marked some red turn into black with no markings. I do have a second battery I will drop in and try tomorrow.
The wires shouldn't pose a problem if you just remove the ground wire(s) from the Negative (-) battery post. Leave the wires on the Positive (+) post alone.
Just out of curiosity, how many wires connect to the negative battery post?
Is this a new trailer or just new to you and actually is a used trailer?
Is the battery new?
Lynn
Old 09-10-2020, 05:32 AM   #6

A clamp on DC ammeter is the way to confirm there is still drain on battery and how much with SW off. It will also help locate where it is going.
Turn off all breakers and check. If there is a drain it is something like a detector, radio memory or engine computer module that is wired always on and can be confirmed by measuring A to those devices.
Do you have an inverter?
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:28 AM   #7

I have a Cedar Creek with the battery disconnect switch also. When the switch is moved to the off position and key removed, there is still a parasitic electrical load. I have trace this to the Auto level system. This system can be activated even with the battery disconnect switch in the off position. I also believe that one of the battery operated sensors inside the camper is still activated too.

So, my solution was to install a simply negative disconnect device that I purchased from NPA . This removes all electrical parasitic loss to the battery when in storage. The device clamps to the negative battery post and the other side of the disconnect device has the negative wires connected to that end. You than need to slide the two piece together and screw them together with the supplied hardware. Simply and safe to use.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:36 AM   #8

Very often the battery cutoff switch is not wired to disconnect everything, You must trace the battery lead to the switch and there must not be any other wires connected between the switch and the battery. if so do some rewiring.

Common items that bypass the cutoff are smoke and Propane alarm sensors, inverters, radio and some lights in baggage compartments.

You can test to see where the consumption is by getting a clamp tester.
Tror Fourwinds Class C, 1961 American Eagle 01 Bus
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:22 AM   #9

I am not clear on your final situation. There is good information above.

Lead acid batteries certainly do not like to be stored at low charge levels. That can kill them quickly. There is another possible issue.

Dry or low water flooded cells mean, the batteries were not maintained regularly or they are being overcharged. Flooded cells consume water when charging. It must be replaced regularly. Overcharging consumes a lot of water. More frequent checking water level is required.

Storing off-the-grid usually does not consume water. I am not sure if you had solar before, but if you did, the solar controller may be set to a high charging voltage. (Not high current.) Dry or low water batteries don't hold much charge.

Hopefully, your charging system, including solar, was checked and adjusted when the lithium batteries were installed. If not, the system should be checked against the lithium battery charging specifications. Battle Born lithium's are well protected against over charging. Some other systems may not be.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:19 PM   #10

Thanks for responding. Four wires on Negative post . I turned of each breaker and checked the volts and it remained the same.

The inverter was off no lights and fridge was still on it's an LG with built in inverter or so it says on the door but Its plugged into a regular outlet but has power when everything else is off.

I going to buy a digital volt meter mine bounces a few degrees

Thanks I am not electrical inclined but going to go at this until my appointment.
Jim

Tomorrow I an going to take off each wire attached to the battery until it goes off
Old 09-10-2020, 05:21 PM   #11

Thanks will buy one tomorrow
I called the service center in Mississippi and they are suppose to call back

Thanks
Jim
Old 09-10-2020, 05:30 PM   #12

yes it has an inverter but not much hooked up I thought since it was like our motorhome but just a couple outlets The tv and even the lounger are not attached.
I have a solar system to instal but I want to figure out this battery draw first.
I have until the 18th then I have an local appointment November 16 we go to the service center in Mississippi for generator and washer /dryer install and a few other tweaks That list is growing!
Thank You
Old 09-10-2020, 05:36 PM   #13

I will check that as well I believe that screen does come on even when off that may be it
I charge the batter today and reinstalled Tomorrow I will check Due to HOA we have in storage about 3miles away ..

That may be it the more I think about the screen being on it has the self leveling set up
new to us as we had a motorhome a it was all setup
Thank you will report back
Jim
Old 09-10-2020, 05:43 PM   #14

Still working on it yes Lithium Battleborn batterieswith management system I am 100% sure they are not the problem. I did recharge a I have the solar set up with controller set up at my house it charged on Lithium setting one panel charged 91 % on a cloudy day I put it back in today and started checking turning breaker on off etc
The inverter is progressive and according to the tec people the charge will charge to 80 % to charge they said to remove a diode but I will leave that to a rec, I trying to narrow down the draw on the battery before the solar install on the roof.
I hope to work on it tomorrow
Jim

Tags
battery