Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2020, 10:22 AM   #1

Bed cover

Hello all.....would like to pick some of experienced brains in the forum.

My wife and I are FT in a DRV Tradition. We are gearing up for retirement in maybe less than two years. We have been living in the trailer for about a year now...and really loving it.
That said, we still have yet to purchase a truck! We had the trailer moved to a park close to my work. I plan on making the truck purchase in the next few months. I will be getting a DWR...8ft bed....4 dr.....yet to be determined make.
So....my question is this:
I plan on using the bed for some storage....ie....folding electric bikes....small generator....tool box etc. I plan on leaving the hitch in. I’m asking for some suggestions on a bed cover that gives secure storage and remains on while hauling the trailer.
Also, the hitch I’m planning on getting is one of the air cushion models....if that makes a difference.

I realize that there are bed rail clearance considerations etc that I just don’t have data for since I don’t have the truck yet.

Thanks!
zagato1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2020, 10:27 AM   #2

That was meant to be “DRW”....
Old 05-31-2020, 10:45 AM   #3

Two neighbors in my snowbird park , use hinged bed covers that lock to the tailgate , and fold up to 1' behind the cab for towing , can't use most tool boxes, but they're ok with that .
One has a Ford F-450 4X4 ,quad cab, towing a DRW 5er, and the cover JUST clears his hitch .
I'll see if I have his e mail , and I'll ask for info on the cover and hitch manufacturers.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:19 AM   #4

Excellent! Thanks!
Old 05-31-2020, 01:21 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Have one of these:

https://tonneaucoversworld.com/p/rol...tonneau-cover/

Works great and easy install!
Old 06-01-2020, 07:10 AM   #6

Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by techminer View Post
Have one of these:

It depends on the hitch/king pin setup. If you have a big high trailer, and a relatively low truck, the king pin assembly can be set to ride over the side rails.
We had a roll up cover similar to that with side rails that intruded into the sides of the bed, and with our set up with a tail truck and relatively low fifth well, the kingpin assemble rides down below the sides of the bed. There is still plenty of clearance between the bed rail and the trailer, but the trailer end of the kingpin assembly will not clear the tonneu cover rails.
WiliWali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:25 AM   #7

Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by techminer View Post
Have one of these:

It depends on the hitch/king pin setup. If you have a big high trailer, and a relatively low truck, the king pin assembly can be set to ride over the side rails.
We had a roll up cover similar to that with side rails that intruded into the sides of the bed, and with our set up with a tail truck and relatively low fifth well, the kingpin assemble rides down below the sides of the bed. There is still plenty of clearance between the bed rail and the trailer, but the trailer end of the kingpin assembly will not clear the tonneau cover rails.
WiliWali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:08 AM   #8

New truck or used? Most mfgs changed the depth of the beds from 19" to 21" in 2017. Thus, the hitch sits lower to the bed rails in the newer trucks, and thus the pin box/trailer nose sits lower in relation to the bed rails. Many covers sit on the bed rails, thus raising the actual bed rail height by maybe an inch. Watch out you don't get caught in this situation--raising the hitch to max height and lowering the pin box (raising the nose) can help. Not sure of the Traditions set ups, but the Mobile Suites can have a contact problem with the bed rails/cover rails. Hard to check without having both units together, but check around on the DRV forums for someone with a Tradition/Aire model and a truck like you are thinking about.
Good luck.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:25 AM   #9

Thanks for the replies! I know it’s difficult to make suggestions without actual measurements/data...
From what I’ve viewed so far, I’m really liking the Pace Edwards Bed Locker....expensive....but it looks great....and just visually at least...it appears to be almost flush with the top of the rails....we’ll see when the time actually arrives and I purchase a truck....might start some test drives this week or next.....
Old 06-03-2020, 06:25 AM   #10

We use a Extang tri-fold, the vinyl material allows a hole to be cut for the aux fuel tank. We have never had any security issues with the soft cover and I have even disconnected the tailgate locking key feature. The cover mostly servers to keep things out of sight and dry.
The 2 boxes carry a set of jack stands and a bench grinder along with a wire welder and 2 spare propane bottles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tonneau Cover.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	288059   Click image for larger version

Name:	TruckBox1.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	288060  

grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:30 AM   #11

I use an Extang Tri-fold three piece solid cover on my 8' bed. The cover folds over the front third of the bed and keeps my auxiliary tank plus other stuff dry when towing. The most expensive thing I put in my bed is the Trailersaver TS3 air hitch. Security is OK if you have a locking tailgate but could be defeated by someone in the know. "Out of sight" is most likely the best deterrent. Water tight is pretty good but will drip some.

The trailer overhang will come close to contacting the folded cover in tight backing situations on uneven terrain. I could alleviate the problem by airing up the hitch some more, but have never needed to do so.

As a side note, a very nice bed addition is the BedRug bed liner. Easy on the knees, helps keep stuff from sliding, and makes my bed rails pretty much flush. Plus, the bed won't scratch the bikes.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:59 AM   #12

In 13 years towing fivers I always had hard folding tonneau covers. Over two trucks I chose Fold A Cover because it folded in 4 sections covering 2 feet of the bed right behind the cab. I always used that area when traveling for lots of stuff. When closed it was lockable and water tight i only took my hitch out when I wanted to use my truck for hauling other stuff, so it worked for me.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:10 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
In 13 years towing fivers I always had hard folding tonneau covers. Over two trucks I chose Fold A Cover because it folded in 4 sections covering 2 feet of the bed right behind the cab. I always used that area when traveling for lots of stuff. When closed it was lockable and water tight i only took my hitch out when I wanted to use my truck for hauling other stuff, so it worked for me.
I've had several and the Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite has been my favorite, by far. I use a RDS chest-style aux tank/toolbox combo under it, and a Reese Goosebox/ GN ball for a clean bed when disconnected.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1397.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	389.6 KB
ID:	288087

You can see how the cover stacks up near the cab, and how the toolbox fits under it.

The only thing I didn't like is that it took a couple months to ship out, even though I was repeatedly told it was going to ship out sooner when I ordered it and followed up. It was worth the wait.
n0mad is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover