Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2014, 06:48 AM   #29

I hate to keep posting in this thread but I fear I've failed in getting the major points understood. I'm not shooting my information from the hip - so to speak. It's factual and accurate and I'm going to reiterate the finer points.

The DOT regulations direct trailer manufacturers to set the trailer's GVWR and GAWR and place those figures on the trailers certification label. Therefore, axle specifications by their manufacturers are often devalued by trailer manufacturers to fit the specifications for the trailer. In the very first spec in the reference you will find that the axles have been devalued to 5080# each. I've actually observed those axles fitted with tires rated at 2540# each.

Once a trailer has left the production line and is ready for delivery to the dealer the manufacturer is not required to weigh it. If options are installed at the dealer location the dealer has procedures to follow when adding weight to the trailer.

When the trailer is sold the new owner has the sole responsibility to keep it balanced and its total weight under its listed GVWR. As you can see in the reference there are hefty allowances made for cargo.

Wildcat Fifth Wheel Specifications by Forest River

Only the trailer manufacturer or a certified modifier is allowed to change any figures on the certification label once the new owner takes position. So, if a new owner upgrades the trailer's axles, the GAWR for them is still the value depicted on the certification label.

Only the certified GAWR is used by the trailer manufacturer for tire & rim selections.

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2014, 10:02 AM   #30

Thanks FastEagle, I consider my self a newbie all though since retirement 2 1/2 years ago we have'd traveled from South Ga. to Sault Sainte Marie Canada back across the U.P to Thief River Falls MN, working our way back down to OK and back to South Ga. With our 30' TT. We updated to our now 29mk Wildcat Sterling and last summer pulled it out to Seattle and back visiting all the Western states with know problems. I still feal I have so much to learn and really appreciate all the comments on this post.I now have a much better understanding of axle capacity and weight distribution ,thanks to all who commented . I'm sure in the future I'll have more questions . I just want to make sure I'm safe and the ones around are to . I'm still at this time waiting on a answer back from FR.
carrollander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:45 PM   #31

You also have to factor in pin wt about 20% of the load is carried by the pin so that is subtracted from the overall wt that the axles have to support. So take 1800 lbs off your dry wt and if your 5 weighs 9000 empty your axles are holding a combined wt of 7200 lbs dry or3600 each. Load 3grand in trl and your axles will be supporting another 2400 which will bring you to 9600 on both axles well within the limits of the axles.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:36 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrollander View Post
Thanks FastEagle, I consider my self a newbie all though since retirement 2 1/2 years ago we have'd traveled from South Ga. to Sault Sainte Marie Canada back across the U.P to Thief River Falls MN, working our way back down to OK and back to South Ga. With our 30' TT. We updated to our now 29mk Wildcat Sterling and last summer pulled it out to Seattle and back visiting all the Western states with know problems. I still feal I have so much to learn and really appreciate all the comments on this post.I now have a much better understanding of axle capacity and weight distribution ,thanks to all who commented . I'm sure in the future I'll have more questions . I just want to make sure I'm safe and the ones around are to . I'm still at this time waiting on a answer back from FR.
Your certainly not unsafe with 5200 lb axles carrying less than max weight.

All this over a bent axle/axle stub. Even if your trailer came with 6k axles you could have still come up with a bent axle/stub especially as the tire is side scrubbing around a corner and comes up against a curb/pothole/RR track/etc. A bent axle or the axle stub or ruined wheel or tire can be the result regardless of axle size.

Most equipment trailers GVWR is usually the sum of the GAWRs. We simply have no issue from using a Dexter or Rockwell American axle carrying loads their designed for.
I've ran several 18k GVWR tri axle GN equipment trailers at full 18k on the 6k axles for several hundred thousand miles. These are the same axles RV folks use.

I've delt with many a wheel/tire/axle dealer over a issue with their product on my work trailers and they all usually come up with the same old "you overloaded it nonsense" until I show them my scale tickets and the fact the rig is thru a dot scale house just about daily. They then have a second opinion.

Its great if you want and get 6k axles. Luck to ya'
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:13 PM   #33

Thank you so much Jim, you've certainly put my mind to rest, yes this tread did get long ,but that just shows that every one is so ready to help. I can purchase a rock well axle from a local trailer co here with brakes hub and every thing 5200# for $290 . I think I'm going to get it put it on myself and get back on thre road.thank for your input.
carrollander is offline   Reply With Quote