Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2018, 06:51 PM   #1

Best 2018 Trucks for Towing a 5th Wheel

From ETrailer.com:

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-best-20...323-A-FifW-edu
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2018, 07:01 PM   #2

Interesting article. Not that "deep" If you will...someone is purely comparing spec sheets.

We just did this so I can add some insight to anyone looking:

We recently drove all three when our 2005 Ford died.

The RAM had a great look, phenomenal interior, but felt down right slow on the onramp (unloaded). Also the Cummins was loud. They awanted quite a bit of money for the truck and resale is poor. Really feature and look wise I loved it though. It had the highest payload of the three trucks, 4klbs on a CC SRW Diesel. The higher price/resale combined with the perceived lack of power turned us off.

Chevrolet also had a very nice truck. The Duramax felt the fastest and the ride was the best due to the IFS. The High country leather and features were nice , but I really dislike GM interiors. They look...bubbly... With that aside we would have been happy with the GM. The dealership we were at only had 3/4tons and couldn't get us a truck in our timeline. The price was also pretty spectacular and they weren't offering much in incentives.

The Ford felt middle for power, had all the features we wanted and needed. Brand New model year so the exterior was the freshest. Ride was better then RAM and felt more powerful. More importantly the dealer had a truck in stock that met our needs, and while the MSRP was close close (but still below) the RAM and GM iy was a whopping $12k cheaper after incentives then the price on the RAM and $10k cheaper then the GM. How could I turn it down?

We ended up with the Ford, and have been happy so far.
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:06 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
If I decide to buy a fifth wheel, I'm leaning toward the GMC Denali 3500 diesel, DRW, crew cab, long bed. Nice truck.
RoadEyePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:27 AM   #4

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Keep the popcorn popping for this one!
On my 3rd Duramax. All have been great, problem free trucks.
I just took delivery of a 2018 GMC Sierra. Its awesome and a very noticeable difference over the '13 with all the refinements to the engine, etc.
Don't me persuaded by the lower towing capacity of the GM trucks. Do you really want to tow 30k+ lbs with a medium duty pick-up.
Check out the following video.
Drive all three and purchase whichever one you prefer. Good luck.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:21 AM   #5

They all are good towing units- nice to have a wide array of choises.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:00 PM   #6

We recently traded our 2011 F-350 crew cab diesel truck. After shopping all the brands and doing months of research we ended up ordering a 2018 GMC Sierra 3500 Denali dually. We've had it since Groundhog Day.

Haven't towed with it yet but so far we're very happy with the truck. The fit and finish is excellent, nice interior, great layout, lots of well thought out features. It's more like a luxury car than a truck inside. Better headroom than Ford or Ram - in fact, I finally was able to get a vehicle with a sunroof, for the first time ever.

Interestingly, most towing tests I read had the GM outperforming the rest. Not that it's a race when you're towing but still interesting to read.

Like I said, we shopped all the trucks and found the GM fit our needs the best, this time around.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 380FL
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali dually with 6.6L Duramax and B&W Companion hitch
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithnorv View Post
If I decide to buy a fifth wheel, I'm leaning toward the GMC Denali 3500 diesel, DRW, crew cab, long bed. Nice truck.
Take my .02 for what its worth...

I just traded in a 2018 GMC 2500 for a 2018 Ford 350 dually. The GMCs do not have A/C in the back. Game changer for us with two large dogs. I have no brand loyalty... and having owned both in three months, same year and all, the Ford has it beat in many ways for us. I am VERY happy we switched from a GMC.
And BTW, this 350 dually is an absolute delight to drive , we love it!
Old 03-26-2018, 04:39 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamiwillRV View Post
Take my .02 for what its worth...

I just traded in a 2018 GMC 2500 for a 2018 Ford 350 dually. The GMCs do not have A/C in the back. Game changer for us with two large dogs. I have no brand loyalty... and having owned both in three months, same year and all, the Ford has it beat in many ways for us. I am VERY happy we switched from a GMC.
And BTW, this 350 dually is an absolute delight to drive , we love it!
It's just me but I would not own another Ford...ever....I'd forget about having an RV if Ford was the only choice.
RoadEyePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 04:48 PM   #9

New Horizons Owners Club
We have had GMC, Chevrolet, Ford and now just bought Ram. We liked them all for different reasons. All have had some issues too. Sure is fun.
Pullin' Chocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:23 PM   #10

Best 2018 Trucks for Towing a 5th Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpm View Post
Keep the popcorn popping for this one!
On my 3rd Duramax. All have been great, problem free trucks.
I just took delivery of a 2018 GMC Sierra. Its awesome and a very noticeable difference over the '13 with all the refinements to the engine, etc.
Don't me persuaded by the lower towing capacity of the GM trucks. Do you really want to tow 30k+ lbs with a medium duty pick-up.
Check out the following video.
Drive all three and purchase whichever one you prefer. Good luck.

I find it interesting that there is no penalty for having significantly less towing ability. Somehow, towing ability should be factored in to a towing contest.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:03 PM   #11

Find it kinda funny nobody ever discusses turning radius........
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:58 PM   #12

I have owned Fords and Chevys both, I like both for different reasons, Im going to buy out of those two, the best deal I can find. I dont have a probem driving either one. I have never owned a Dodge truck for whatever reason, I just never have. Im not going to bad mouth the Dodge, just never liked the comfort of them but I know the newer ones have come a long way in comfort. You see in my signature that I own a 2004 Ford, I purchased it last year with only 46,000 miles on it, thats why I purchased it, low miles and I use it on the farm also.
MorganT69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithnorv View Post
It's just me but I would not own another Ford...ever....I'd forget about having an RV if Ford was the only choice.
Lol...I hear ya...I’m that way with GM now. My 2018 leaked trans fluid all over the driveway the first night. Turns out they didn’t weld the front cooler inlet at all. Plus their bouncing headlights are an incredible annoyance, along with a few other minor issues that made it clear my truck was not assembled well.. Guess we all have our bad experiences with different brands.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:51 PM   #14

For me, Chevy is out because I will only own a 4x4 truck and said truck will only have a solid front axle. What I found interesting above was that one or two said the Ford was much cheaper than the Ram or Chevy. I have looked at a lot of trucks before I purchased my Ram 2500 MC with the 6.4 Hemi. The similarly equipped Ford was always 15% + more expensive than the Ram. Hell, my brothers F150 Platinum 4x4 was about $12K more than my 2500 MC Laramie. Sure the Platinum is a model or two higher than my Laramie model for Ram but it is still a Half ton.

Not sure if Ford or Chevy have the equivalent but there are 2-3 high volume Ram dealers that are a no haggle price guarantee. they have prices that 99% of the other dealers can't and won't touch. These dealers usually have 300-500 Ram truck in stock and on the lot. If you want to order a truck to your spec, you will still get the same deep discounts. Discounts so cheap that it almost always saves you a lot of money to buy and fly and drive it home.

I love my truck and bought it because it is the only truck produced with a Mega Cab. Had Ford had a similar model, I'd have given it a hard look.
Parks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, tow, towing