Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2017, 09:23 AM   #29

There is quite a few differences between the ORV and Arctic Fox Silver Fox line. The ORV trailers use the lighter Fox Mountain frames. They are not near as robust as the Silver Fox line. The roof truss system is not as heavy. The slide seals and slide mechanics are a lot less quality. Yes they have a few cosmetic upgrades but they are catering to a different crowd. Go to both factories as I did with an open mind and take a look. The construction is not better. The slide seals are very important for keeping out drafts. I have never thought to much for DRV(Double Tree) as they use the cheapest out of the box Lippert slide frames and seals found on the bottom line Keystone and Thor products with the addition of a bulb seal.. The best seals I have seen were on Alpenlite, Teton and New Horizons. My Newmar nor my Carriage had those slide seals. The Silver Fox's seals are just as thick but a half inch shorter. If you are looking for the best in cold weather I would look at Excel and Travel Supreme. Next would be Teton as some I have seen had three panes of glass. After those would be Alpenlite, NUWA(Champagne and Premier) as the Blue Dow foam is structural but is also very dense. New Horizon uses the Blue Dow. I have found to many DRV's drafty. Newmar better than Carriage in both summer and winter. The older Sunny Brook's were well insulated. Citation and Glendale Titanium work good. If you can find a Automate they were tanks.
Elkfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2017, 11:25 PM   #30

Where do you get your info? NW Fox mountain has two models, both of which are not the same length as the anything from ORV.
2nd the ORV 5th wheels have drop frames. The FM's don't.
Not sure where your coming up with this stuff.
ORV and NW build their own frames around each model.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:00 AM   #31

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can't tell you who makes the best 5ER but I can tell you one thing.

Went to the local (1mi away) Truck stop for lunch (Arby's) the other day and there was a real Sweet 38' Ceadar Creek at the gas pumps.

He finished fueling up the tow vehicle
Pulled out
Turned a few feet too fast
It's not so sweet looking with the rear cap flaping in the breeze.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:29 PM   #32

Wish RV assembly lines improved like the Auto Industry. We would have solid built units with few problems with a life expectecy twice what it is now.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:50 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duoglide1 View Post
All of the above plus NuWa HitchHiker (Champagne) or Holiday Rambler (Presidential). I 2nd Kansas RV center in Chanute KS. Also the New Horizons factory in Kansas gets quite a few of the Excels.
This /\
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:17 PM   #34

I gave up the 5th wheels and went to a diesel pusher which I don't regret. I believe weight is the problem with 5th wheels. The manufacturers have to be careful with the weight which ends up meaning the build quality is reduced. Look at the roofs, frames and suspensions. Usually these are the areas of short cuts as well as the slide operation.

If we were going to stay with a 5th wheel I think we would have gone to the New Horizan. They are well built, which is hard to find in any production 5th wheel.
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality