Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2017, 12:12 PM   #1

Best 5ER quality for extended use

If you were looking for an extended use 5ER, which brands would you be looking at? Lets keep it to the top 3 brands in quality that have a long running history of keeping it that way.

Considering gently used under 4 or 5 years old.

Requirements for washer/dryer, 18 cu> ref, all season units only.

Mostly for use in a CG/RV park, not needing a unit for boondocking more than a few days here and there.

I know my current TV will not do the job. I will need a bigger TV, I will go DRW and diesel power.

Thanks for your help
FirstRodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2017, 12:30 PM   #2

Used 2014 DRV Luxury Suites Mobile Suites 38 RSSA Fifth Wheel at Kansas RV Center | Chanute, KS | #SK1212
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:43 PM   #3

1.) New Horizons or Spacecraft or Continental Coach

2.) Excel or DRV
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:47 PM   #4

All of the above plus NuWa HitchHiker (Champagne) or Holiday Rambler (Presidential). I 2nd Kansas RV center in Chanute KS. Also the New Horizons factory in Kansas gets quite a few of the Excels.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:37 PM   #5

That is a nice floor plan that would work. Researching DRV now, they seem to make quality units with great standard features that would be big upgrades on a lot of other makes for a decent price.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:43 PM   #6

I've read a few negative posts about the new DRV's since the Thor take over. It seems like the older ones are a little better. Used is the way to go on them.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:48 PM   #7

Carriage, Teton, Travel Supreme, Newmar all made great units.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:56 PM   #8

Northwood manufacturing Arctic Fox 29-5k ALL THE WAY!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
I've read a few negative posts about the new DRV's since the Thor take over. It seems like the older ones are a little better. Used is the way to go on them.
Seems like a lot of RV "names" are going through change in ownership making it hard to keep up with who's who.....

I should have qualified that custom made to order units are out of my budget.
Wundertaker,
I have also looked at the NW line and have seen many good posts on them, I agree they build nice RV's. That model in particular gets great reviews from owners of them.

Thanks for these replies, it's great to be able to ask a question, get replies, do research in a few hours you can learn alot
Old 11-27-2017, 08:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstRodeo View Post
Seems like a lot of RV "names" are going through change in ownership making it hard to keep up with who's who.....
It's done so buyers can't rate the quality of a unit over time.

If you're looking at AF also look a Grand Designs Solitude line.

From 2013 onward the tanks in AF 5ths are larger.

There are a some used New Horizons on the market.
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCBackroads View Post
It's done so buyers can't rate the quality of a unit over time.

If you're looking at AF also look a Grand Designs Solitude line.

From 2013 onward the tanks in AF 5ths are larger.

There are a some used New Horizons on the market.
Very few NH compared with DRV from what I can find.

Looked at GD, they look nice, but looks is only skin deep, 5 year old company means the jury is still out to me. They all have a great story, history, good history is harder to find.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstRodeo View Post

I should have qualified that custom made to order units are out of my budget.
Wundertaker,
I have also looked at the NW line and have seen many good posts on them, I agree they build nice RV's. That model in particular gets great reviews from owners of them.

Thanks for these replies, it's great to be able to ask a question, get replies, do research in a few hours you can learn alot
Mr. Rodeo... First, Arctice Fox 5ers are NOT custom made to order units. Yes, you can order them with specific "options", however I wouldn't classify them as Custom Made. A suggestion...Look for the model Arctic Fox that you would like in a model year of 2013 or later. With time and patience I'm pretty confident that you'll cross paths with one.

Second...The Grand Design models that have been spoken about have much more "BLING" than any Northwoods Mfg product out there. They are nice looking and obviously cater to the ladies however my wife and I want nice, comfortable...NOT GLITSY...we're just not like that...again, to each his/her own. GD does not have the track record yet from a quality standpoint....even it it's half way decent I wouldn't buy it...too fluffy for us.

Jus' tryin' to help...

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
Mr. Rodeo... First, Arctice Fox 5ers are NOT custom made to order units. Yes, you can order them with specific "options", however I wouldn't classify them as Custom Made. A suggestion...Look for the model Arctic Fox that you would like in a model year of 2013 or later. With time and patience I'm pretty confident that you'll cross paths with one.

Second...The Grand Design models that have been spoken about have much more "BLING" than any Northwoods Mfg product out there. They are nice looking and obviously cater to the ladies however my wife and I want nice, comfortable...NOT GLITSY...we're just not like that...again, to each his/her own. GD does not have the track record yet from a quality standpoint....even it it's half way decent I wouldn't buy it...too fluffy for us.

Jus' tryin' to help...
I wasn't indicating NW's were custom units, I was referring to the Spacecraft and New Horizon type units.

NW's, DRV's and Excel are more in line of what I'm looking for. Unfortunately here in the Northeast coast most of what I'd like to see are no where near me in a volume that makes it easy to look at multiple units.

For instance there are only 6 DRV units within 150 or 200 miles from me with only one or 2 I'd go look at vs 250 units nationwide. Zero Excel units in that same distance and only 1 2005 Nash.

I'll need to travel quite far to see them and the DW can't even speak to a given unit without stepping inside it.

I'm really not the type that will buy one sight unseen.

This one is 71 miles away but I'm thinking it is not the top of line DRV.
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...KSB3-119522078
The other 5 are in CT dealer lot which is close to me, but again not the models I'm interested in.

Only NW's for sale are 700 plus miles away from here.

Time for a road trip
Old 11-28-2017, 11:12 AM   #14

There won't be very many DRVs or other top end units close to anywhere...there just aren't that many $100k plus FWs sold.

Tags
quality