Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2017, 07:04 PM   #15

Welcome to the forum.

Please let us know when you figure this conundrum out.
Remember everything about RV'ing is a compromise of things. There are no absolutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGrawe
Are you full time or part time?
Mostly static or lots of traveling?
Budget range?
Tow capacity of tow vehicle?
Floorplan preference (toy hauler, Bunkhouse, couples retreat)?
Climate you'll be camping in?

+1 These are all very important considerations. Budget is probably the most important. Yesterday 07:51 PM

Be well.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2017, 11:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
LOL, many are still in business. The best unit out there right now is an Arctic Fox made by Northwood MFG. If you want nicer then you'll have to spend $30,000 more.

Outdoors RV is the same company as Northwoods and their Glacier Peaks are awesome. I fell in the mid-$50 for a 2017 Titanium.
glattimore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 11:04 PM   #17

The best fifth wheel for you is not the best for me. It all depends on what you are going to do with it.
glattimore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:51 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by glattimore View Post
Outdoors RV is the same company as Northwoods and their Glacier Peaks are awesome. I fell in the mid-$50 for a 2017 Titanium.
No doubt ORV makes a solid 5th wheel. My problem with them is they have the dump valves in the front cargo area and have a step up at the bed.
I have a smaller 5th wheel with the step up at the bed. That and the framing member that's parallel to the outside wall makes for a cramped walk around.
I've looked at them at RV shows and I just can't get used to that dump vale being in the forward storage compartment. Not sure I'd like to have to walk back n forth while dumping. Might seem inconsequential to some, but there's other MFG with as good of build quality that have the valves in a better location. I know they havce a full profile unit that has the bed slide. But for more $$$$
ORV does load up their trailers with a good amount of nice standard features and that does make the an attractive purchase.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:25 PM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
No doubt ORV makes a solid 5th wheel. My problem with them is they have the dump valves in the front cargo area and have a step up at the bed.
I have a smaller 5th wheel with the step up at the bed. That and the framing member that's parallel to the outside wall makes for a cramped walk around.
I've looked at them at RV shows and I just can't get used to that dump vale being in the forward storage compartment. Not sure I'd like to have to walk back n forth while dumping. Might seem inconsequential to some, but there's other MFG with as good of build quality that have the valves in a better location. I know they havce a full profile unit that has the bed slide. But for more $$$$
ORV does load up their trailers with a good amount of nice standard features and that does make the an attractive purchase.
I was concerned with the dump valves at first as well, but no biggie now that we have a year of use under our belts.

Rick
Old 01-27-2017, 08:01 PM   #20

You don't have to buy the highest quality to make it the highest quality. If a trailer has 10'' frame instead of 12'' frame it's because it is lighter. I have a 12'' frame on my Montana but i had a 10'' frame on my previous trailer but it was 2,000 pounds lighter. The same if you buy a DRV, they have a 15'' frame but are much heavier than my 12'' Montana. If you buy a 16,000 pound gvw trailer then you should have 16'' tires with 8 lug and 7,000 pound axles and 12'' frame. Probably 16'' wheels on 14,000 gvw trailer with 6lug and 6,000 pound axles 8,000 pound axles and 17.5'' wheels on those trailers heavier than 16,000 pound gvw. If you go with trailer with 16'' tires then be sure to get load range g tires if 7,000 pound axles. You could also have independent suspension and disc brakes installed after purchasing the trailer. My trailer is probably not the best out there but if you have some cash to work with after purchasing the unit then you can certainly make it more safer and personable for you and the wife.For most women it's what's in the trailer and for men it's what's under the trailer. Hopefully you and the wife can find a combination of both but the manufacture's leave plenty of room to upgrade inside and out.
shelbytexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:24 PM   #21

I think right now Grand Design RV's are getting more awards than any other maker out there...
2014 Grand Design Solitude, 369RL, #107
2016 Chevy 3500HD, SRW, Diesel/Allison
Gsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:31 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
Well naturally its the one i own!
Yeah. Me too.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:24 AM   #23

thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbytexan View Post
You don't have to buy the highest quality to make it the highest quality. If a trailer has 10'' frame instead of 12'' frame it's because it is lighter. I have a 12'' frame on my Montana but i had a 10'' frame on my previous trailer but it was 2,000 pounds lighter. The same if you buy a DRV, they have a 15'' frame but are much heavier than my 12'' Montana. If you buy a 16,000 pound gvw trailer then you should have 16'' tires with 8 lug and 7,000 pound axles and 12'' frame. Probably 16'' wheels on 14,000 gvw trailer with 6lug and 6,000 pound axles 8,000 pound axles and 17.5'' wheels on those trailers heavier than 16,000 pound gvw. If you go with trailer with 16'' tires then be sure to get load range g tires if 7,000 pound axles. You could also have independent suspension and disc brakes installed after purchasing the trailer. My trailer is probably not the best out there but if you have some cash to work with after purchasing the unit then you can certainly make it more safer and personable for you and the wife.For most women it's what's in the trailer and for men it's what's under the trailer. Hopefully you and the wife can find a combination of both but the manufacture's leave plenty of room to upgrade inside and out.
Shelby spot on.....women like the inside and men care about maintenance. The ultralight fifth wheels for 150 class towing are built of plastic - it is a compromise of course. A 5th wheel is in our future and we will purchase used - a 40% reduction in cost from new purchase price so I am looking for recommendations here and durability. I can candidly repair most of the interior and make changes as required. But a solid and reliable base . safe to tow and stop and it will not shake itself apart is my primary concern. Thank you all for the updates ...and knowledge
Norcolmille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:51 AM   #24

American Coach Owners Club
Another vote for Augusta Luxe.
Lisablue85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:10 AM   #25

As others have said, we can't answer that for you. You want to spend $250k? or $60k? My 2 cent advice would be to look at the owners forums for all the ones you are interested in, they all have websites. Then read, read, read all you can about the brands you like. Owners are always going to be your best info source. There is such a variety of floorplans and models you can drive yourself crazy.
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:18 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
I would narrow my choices down to anything NOT made by Thor/Crossroads/Redwood...
Old 01-28-2017, 02:34 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
I would narrow my choices down to anything NOT made by Thor/Crossroads/Redwood...
Well I guess the Rules Out anything made by DRV, Airstream, Heartland, Crossroads, Redwood, Keystone, Jayco, StarCraft, Integra Coach, Highland Ridge RV (Open Range) and KZ RV as they are all Thor Companies
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:30 PM   #28

These posts that imply that rv brands that are part of a large corporation are garbage is just that. Some of them put out a good product and some crap . They sell out because the umbrella Corp can get the products at a lower price that go into making them. I have a Cardinal it has had minor issues and l have done suspension and brake upgrades . After 4 yrs and 25 thousand miles all over this country everything still works !
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel