Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2017, 12:16 PM   #43

We have been researching full time rated 5th wheels extensively for the past year. Topping our short list is still Riverstone. As soon as we sell our Columbus we will be ordering the 34SLE. Riverstone construction with the 3" walls, water manifold system, better framing, hung walls and insulation methods are what we keeps them at the top of our list. Plus the owners report few issues, and they are taken care of promptly.

Best of luck on your search
jlsr is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2017, 12:26 PM   #44

I am in agreement but show me the manufacturer at certain price points that does not do this. You are not getting molded stained hardwood trim on any trailers in the price point of GD, Cardinal ,Artic fox or others in that range
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:20 PM   #45

Grand Design

My wife and I have had a GD Solitude working on 3 years. I can't rank it against others because I don't know them as well as I know what we have. Aside from issues like LED lights not lasting like they should, power converter going south, capacitor on the Dometic AC taking a dump we haven't had any significant issues. We've traveled a few times out of state and made multiple trips within Florida. We keep it on some property we bought in Osteen, FL. and regularly stay in it a couple of weekends a month. With a critical eye two things we would change immediately if we could would be to have quiet air conditioners and disc brakes installed. The issues we have are component issues not structural or assembly issues. Actually at some point we will replace the "pleather" (or whatever it is) furniture with leather or micro fiber. The furniture is comfortable but the fabric is junk. The 5th wheel is almost 40' model 368RD. It pulls great and is structurally sound. This model isn't made anymore but we love the floor plan. We bought it slightly used and saved a bunch of money. We were also very impressed with Cedar Creek but couldn't find a used one with the floor plan we wanted.
mikedeenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:25 PM   #46

we are planning full time in a couple years and currently doing homework, getting ready. My wife and l have looked at cedar creek hathaway and like the quality and have plans to look at 29ik in dec. trying to keep price and length down but not sacrifice quality. any more info you can give would be appreciated!
brentwint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:40 PM   #47

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwint View Post
we are planning full time in a couple years and currently doing homework, getting ready. My wife and l have looked at cedar creek hathaway and like the quality and have plans to look at 29ik in dec. trying to keep price and length down but not sacrifice quality. any more info you can give would be appreciated!
I love the 29ik. Only used ours a few time, but few issues. Unfortunately, I backed it into a siding wall and getting a new roof. $$$, but that isn't their fault.
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:31 PM   #48

Best made fifth-wheels??

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelFish View Post
Bob Caldwell and ramn4ver:

Thanks for your comments. I was a little worried about Forest River. I've been looking online and am seeing a LOT of almost new ones for sale. It sent up a red flag for me. Also really appreciate your feedback on Crossroads. THANKS!

We are on our third Forest River product in the past 16 years and I don’t think I’d ever own anything but Forest River.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:05 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropthejacks View Post
Keep hearing good things about the Grand Design models, especially the upper end Solitude series. I would give them a look.
Last week I stopped in a rest area when a 3500 pulling a grand design solitude pulled in. I went over and asked them how they like their 5er. The couple said they were full time RVers and love their Solitude. They have had it for 3 years with no issues. I'm picking up a grand design 29RS this weekend. Hope I have the same luck with mine as they have had with their 5er.
mikey1306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:29 PM   #50

I have a SunnyBrook Bristol Bay (their top of the line) which I think is a run of the mill 5th wheel. For the most part no big problems but about a handful of smaller issues.

I used to have my ranking of 5th wheels. But manufactures pop up and go away like whack a mole.

I had the custom builders at the top.

The DRV, Excel, NuWa, Carriage (Lifestyle) and Holiday Rambler Presidental next.

I had Columbus at the top of 15 or so mass produced units.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:14 PM   #51

Sorry...do not buy the 20 mpg thing.

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:31 AM   #52

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Carriage had the best frame in the business best quality built cabinets.
Nuwa is another great built unit.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:25 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumble Weed View Post
Carriage had the best frame in the business best quality built cabinets.
Nuwa is another great built unit.
Maybe it was just bad luck but we had more than our fair share of problems with both (and many more) in our 2008 Royals International.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:38 PM   #54

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
Maybe it was just bad luck but we had more than our fair share of problems with both (and many more) in our 2008 Royals International.
Some people have more problems than many others. A lot of this depends on how one traverses rough roads and at what speed one travels. Faster travel means harsher bumps which equates to more bouncing and vibration which is detrimental to durability. JMHO
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 04:41 PM   #55

Evergreen Owners Club
I would like to suggest you check into the RV Factory. They build the Luxe, and the Luxe Gold. Strong frames made from boxing on 12 inch forged I-beams not drawn like most of them.
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:52 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post
Some people have more problems than many others. A lot of this depends on how one traverses rough roads and at what speed one travels. Faster travel means harsher bumps which equates to more bouncing and vibration which is detrimental to durability. JMHO
I'm sure there are many happy Carriage owners out there that have enjoyed their trailer and probably still do.
I'm not the person who easily stomps on the reputation of a company or an individual publicly but since you opened the Pandora's box I have no choice.
First of all the problems with our Royals were in no way related to traveling to fast on rough roads, that is just an assumption not a fact.
-From day one, bent front landing jacks where Carriage did not authorize replacement but "straightening", even the dealer was awe struck.
-Skylights in "Arizona Room" leaking badly, fixed by dealer under warranty.
-Dining room slide would sometimes not come in without the help of several people, which is very embarrassing. Slide motor broke twice and was replaced under warranty after much fighting but cost of mobile service was ignored.
-Mis-wired generator, warranty denied fixed by dealer anyway.
-1" open gap between top of both bedroom slides and sidewall, warranty denied because it couldn't be possible according to director of warranty. Dealer tried to adjust slides upward and installed additional seals but problem persists and was the cause of many water related issues that followed.
-Cracked frame on Sony TV, Carriage authorized the use of super glue to fix the crack. Remember this was a $180,000 cdn. trailer.
-The MorRyde pinbox wobbled around like it had a million miles on it, dealer acknowledged the problem, Carriage's response was that's normal. Dealer offered assistance if we needed to replace it.
-More than 1" flex between the lower and upper deck when hitching and unhitching eventually causing the sidewall to crack.
-Some of the 120 Volt electrical outlets had been forced into the openings that eventually popped out.
-A 12" long crack in the rear fiberglass cap, (which was a common occurrence), repair under warranty was denied this time Carriage said the warranty period started when the trailer left the factory not when we purchased it.
-None of the drawers had catches, which I installed myself.
-When the frame of the basement storage door on the driver side started to come out and I discovered that the frame was held by only 3/4" self tapping screws hanging in thin air and someone else noticed a bow in the sidewall I almost freaked and it took us almost 6 months to find a dealer willing to take the Royals in trade.
Carriage was bragging about their warranty and build quality, the director of warranty was one of the rudest and arrogant persons I have ever talked to. The dealer did do some of the repairs out of their own pocket because even they were ashamed of the way we were treated. We had more issues but they were minor in comparison, more like in the range of what you would expect to deal with when you own an rv, any rv.
Another couple who bought a 2007 Royals from the same dealer when they retired, sold their house and planned to travel had much more serious issues than we did.
To be fair, the Royals was a well insulated trailer, the electric blinds were a joy, so were the soft touch walls and ceiling, it was our 1st rv with built in dishwasher, washing machine and generator. I only wish we would have problems and legal actions from this side of the border would have been a waste of time and money.

Tags
5th wheel, luxe