Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2017, 10:44 PM   #57

Forest River Owners Club
After purchasing our 2016 28ft TT, a Forest River Cascade - we will NEVER purchase another Forest River product/unit. We just went FT living in September 2017 after we purchase our 2018 41ft Durango Gold 5th wheel. We love, love it. We still have our TT, it is in storage for the winter. Our 5th is stationary in an RV Condo Resort. We bounce around in our TT. Good luck in whatever you decided to purchase. Gotta love the RV life.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2017, 07:58 AM   #58

Difficult to decide What makes are good and poor

We recently sold our 2013 Winnebago Vista 26he Class A gasser after buying it in Aug of 2017, taking one 2000 mile trip and hating how it handled in the wind. Literally scared the hell out of us a few times.

Sooo after reading many reviews and talking to people we decided on and picked up our new 2017 Grand Design Reflection 26RL last week. Now I made the mistake of reading reviews on another website. Most were very favorable but for other Grand Design owners it was a nightmare. It seems no matter the brand every Mfg, has problems. Now Grand Design has been sold to Winnebago. Don Clark of GD will continue as CEO of the towable's at Winnebago. I read the same kind of reviews when we bought our Class A about Winnebago, some good and some horrible experiences. So how do you decide?

We bought the GD Reflection because we felt there was a lot there for the money,loved the floor plan and had heard a lot of good things about GD. I had never pulled a 5vr. I test pulled it in the wind because I did not want to get into another situation where I hated the white knuckle driving/pulling in the wind. We didn't have a truck to test pull with so the dealer hooked it up to a Ford f-350 diesel. I was amazed at how well it handled in the wind and how quiet it was to be in the cab of a truck instead of all the wind noise and rattles of the Class A. We Did not want a huge 5th wheel and this was just a little bigger than the 220 and 230 series GD reflection. The 26RL is 29 feet. So here we go. We bought a 2012 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Z71 4WD Duramax Diesel with 39K miles to tow it with.

I guess all I can offer for advise in making a selection, is go with your gut, choose what you like and hope for the best. The day we picked ours up and they guided us through the orientation, they fired up all the systems before we got there and found that the Maxxair powered living room fan was not working properly and will be replaced. So already we have to make a trip back to have that done. Hopefully this is not a bad sign of things to come. I have to wonder why, when they say they do a 250 point inspection before leaving the plant, something as simple as this is not discovered? Sorry to say I just don't have faith in anyone doing a good job. So that's my 2 cents worth, maybe 3 cause this was a bit lengthy.
geerhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:28 AM   #59

So you bought a 4-5 year old class A and it had problems? You could've drove it for a while and heard all the rattles and lousy steering. How many miles were on it?
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 12:06 PM   #60

Difficult to know which Mfg is good or poor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
So you bought a 4-5 year old class A and it had problems? You could've drove it for a while and heard all the rattles and lousy steering. How many miles were on it?
We bought the 2013 Winnebago 26he from the original owners with 29000 miles because we wanted a small maneuverable RV and really like the quality better than the others it its class . It was absolutely immaculate well maintained with no suspension or tire issues, and handled ok under low or no wind driving conditions. I even had the alignment checked when we got to our destination just for peace of mind and it was dead on. Pulling our 2017 Cherokee and in higher 1/4 or side wind was horrible being pushed and pulled all over between the white lines by wind and semi's. I had even installed the Safe-T-Plus Steering stabilizer before we left on our first and only trip with it. Its a short frame 16000 lb chassis so that's the biggest issue with these short buses. I did the CHF (cheap handling fix) on the suspension front and rear sway bars after we returned home, adjusted the tire pressure, then took it out and drove it in the wind and was still being pushed around so there was no reason to keep it. I was not going to be subjected to that kind of stress while driving again so we sold it. We had a 1984 33ft sportscoach pathfinder 20 yrs ago and it was a little better but still did not like the white knuckle driving in the wind.

By the way, I drove it for 3hrs from the sellers home to ours on a no wind day and no toad behind. I enjoyed the way it drove. All of them have rattles so that was not the reason for selling. Just saying it is quieter and more comfortable in the cab of a truck.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:25 PM   #61

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicalwoman View Post
After purchasing our 2016 28ft TT, a Forest River Cascade - we will NEVER purchase another Forest River product/unit. We just went FT living in September 2017 after we purchase our 2018 41ft Durango Gold 5th wheel. We love, love it. We still have our TT, it is in storage for the winter. Our 5th is stationary in an RV Condo Resort. We bounce around in our TT. Good luck in whatever you decided to purchase. Gotta love the RV life.
I second that, we have a Kz G384FLT an will put it up against any the high priced 5th wheels, it is well built an far cheaper than the others on the 80 to 100K range. I will say there is not much glitter or bing, but the functionality that Kz has built in is top notch
Old 12-23-2017, 09:14 PM   #62

Redwood makes a good RV. I have the 2016 39mb that is 43ft total length with 2,800 lbs. pin weight. As all rigs will have issue I think RW is a good full timers rig. We full time in the Pacific Northwest with no problems.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:07 AM   #63

Outdoors RV Owners Club
With that age truck you'll be limited on size of fifth wheel. The newer high-end models you probably don't have enough payload for. Good luck in your search!
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:23 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampowerwago View Post
I am Gary's friend and we do live our new RiverStone 38FL. I was very h3sitant to even consider a Forest River product until I read several reviews from OWNERS of the RS product line. After doing quite a bit of research on the product, and reviews from owners, we decided to take the plunge....and have been extremely pleased with ours.

Our last 2 5th wheels were a 2014 Mobile Suites and a 2017 Arctic Fox 29-5T. Both of these coaches were a disappointment to us for quality reasons. Both had issues in the coach that made me very hesitant to buy another. The RS, on the other hand has be2n nearly flawless. The only real issue has been a failed water pump. I replaced it myself.

My best advice would be to do your research, listen to owners and not internet experts, and buy the one that fits your tow vehicle, pocket book, and your needs. Do not be afraid of the RiverStone product if it fits your requirements, but above all, have fun and enjoy your RV life!
Hi Gary's friend!
My husband and I toured inside a RiverStone and it was beautiful and the walls felt super solid. We are looking to trade in our 2012 Open Range, and unfortunately RiverStone does not have a model that is under 36ft (which is something we are trying to stay under). Seems all the high end models go long.

We are looking at Arctic Fox as we have read good things in reserach, and they do have shorter floor plans. Do you mind elaborating on some of your disappointments with the Arctic Fox you had? They are on our short list along with used DRV 33TK3 models..which are hard to find.
Bought used 2012 Open Range 5th Wheel April 2016, sold house in December 2016, and hit the road full time with husband Tad, 2 cats (Harvey/Itty Bitty), and our pupper (Eva). I work sales remotely for an outdoor company, and my husband kayaks a lot.
HarveyRVCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:41 AM   #65

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
If you liked the Montana look at KZ golds, about the same price point, equal or better quality, built for FT living & tons of storage. Been in mine just under a year. I was down to a KZ or Montana. Yes there have been minor issues but all with installed appliances not the 5W it self.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 12:41 PM   #66

Check out the Ambition by Luxe
They have about the best website l have seen. Great build !
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 02:48 PM   #67

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
I'd be curious about your disappointments in the Northwood product. They have a strong following and one of the few that has an in house built frame....not made my Lippert.
We are looking to downsize from a 38' fiver and the AF 27-5l is about the only thing of interest. Granted, they are not as glitzy as most but seem to have more emphasis on quality and function.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:08 PM   #68

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Too bad Newmar doesn't make 5th wheels anymore.
I whole-heartedly 2nd that. Ours was 14 years old when we finally replaced it.

We've been fulltiming for 9 years. We've spent the last 5-6 years looking for a new 5er. Every brand we looked at either closed up or got bought by Thor, which took that brand off my plate. We came very close to ordering a Mobile Suites when Thor bought DRV. Scratched them off our list too. Six months ago we picked up our GD Solitude 5er and have been loving it. In the spring we're going to Elkhart (MORryde) to get their IS suspension and disc brakes put on. Then we're off to Alaska.

Augusta appears to make some very good units. You can meet with them and make custom changes. I haven't heard any owners reports though. There was a Luxe in a recent CG, but they were gone in the momrning o I didn't get to talk to them. They make the Ambition and the higher end Luxe as well as the Weekend Warrior toy hauler. They recently came out with a build your own Luxe Gold model. I looked at it briefly but we like our Solitude too much. All of their coaches are order direct from factory.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:13 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Star View Post
I whole-heartedly 2nd that. Ours was 14 years old when we finally replaced it.

We've been fulltiming for 9 years. We've spent the last 5-6 years looking for a new 5er. Every brand we looked at either closed up or got bought by Thor, which took that brand off my plate. We came very close to ordering a Mobile Suites when Thor bought DRV. Scratched them off our list too. Six months ago we picked up our GD Solitude 5er and have been loving it. In the spring we're going to Elkhart (MORryde) to get their IS suspension and disc brakes put on. Then we're off to Alaska.

Augusta appears to make some very good units. You can meet with them and make custom changes. I haven't heard any owners reports though. There was a Luxe in a recent CG, but they were gone in the momrning o I didn't get to talk to them. They make the Ambition and the higher end Luxe as well as the Weekend Warrior toy hauler. They recently came out with a build your own Luxe Gold model. I looked at it briefly but we like our Solitude too much. All of their coaches are order direct from factory.
K-Star. I share your feelings about Thor products and their attempt to take over every other mfg. Wife and I seriously thought about a Thor or Forrest River but thought the quality was very poor. I am pleased to hear you are enjoying your GD because after doing much research, hearing about their good quality, that is what re just purchased. It is a 2017 GD Reflection 26rl. We did not want a huge fifth wheel. But this has 3 slides and very roomy. We just Sold our 2013 Winnebago after one trip because of the poor handling in the wind. I am curious as to whether you replaced the China Bomb Lionshead Westlake tires ( if that is what yours has). I have read too many bad reviews on them. I intend to replace ours before we even take it out with the Goodyear Endurance E rated 87mph speed rated tire. They are a new model and supposed to be very good. Thanks
Old 01-02-2018, 08:26 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
I am in agreement but show me the manufacturer at certain price points that does not do this. You are not getting molded stained hardwood trim on any trailers in the price point of GD, Cardinal ,Artic fox or others in that range
We just purchased a 2017 GD Reflection 26rl and it does have stained hardwood trim molding around the dining area slide out as well as Hardwood solid Maple Raised panel door stained cabinets. I am a professional cabinet/furniture builder for 45 years so I am familiar with hardwoods. In my opinion they could have paid more attention to detail when filling the pin nailer holes with putty and done a better job with the joinery on the doors. Something I intend to fix. Most people would not know but I am very particular.

Tags
5th wheel, luxe