Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2017, 04:59 PM   #29

I think SpaceCraft will build you a 55' 5th wheel. Still a more economic way to go than buying a new Prevost or Newell motorhome.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2017, 05:14 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I think SpaceCraft will build you a 55' 5th wheel. Still a more economic way to go than buying a new Prevost or Newell motorhome.
It's not so much the price, I know there are crazy expensive rigs out there, but the sheer size...where do you go with a trailer that big? Sure aren't gonna pop into the state park or local KOA with one of those!
MattE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:31 PM   #31

I may have read the original post wrong but I thought they made it clear they wanted to pull their trailer with a 3rd generation Ram. I don't believe Grand Design, DRV, New Horizons, Teton, Riverstone or Spacecraft make or made models that could be towed with the limited capacities of their truck. Upon further reflection, if the OP has the 4.10 rear end they could do the shortest Grand Design.
CecilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:16 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramn4ver View Post
A friend just picked up a Forest River Riverstone. He's seems real happy with it so far. He's fulltiming in it.
I am Gary's friend and we do live our new RiverStone 38FL. I was very h3sitant to even consider a Forest River product until I read several reviews from OWNERS of the RS product line. After doing quite a bit of research on the product, and reviews from owners, we decided to take the plunge....and have been extremely pleased with ours.

Our last 2 5th wheels were a 2014 Mobile Suites and a 2017 Arctic Fox 29-5T. Both of these coaches were a disappointment to us for quality reasons. Both had issues in the coach that made me very hesitant to buy another. The RS, on the other hand has be2n nearly flawless. The only real issue has been a failed water pump. I replaced it myself.

My best advice would be to do your research, listen to owners and not internet experts, and buy the one that fits your tow vehicle, pocket book, and your needs. Do not be afraid of the RiverStone product if it fits your requirements, but above all, have fun and enjoy your RV life!
Old 10-26-2017, 12:51 PM   #33

How can you legally pull a 55 foot trailer when the DOT law states 53 max . Besides most people based on driving, backing turning by large units is really weak. You get something over 40-42 you better go somewhere like a driving school and learn how to operate it and not subject people on the road to OJT.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:59 PM   #34

Cedar Creek and Cardinal are decent trailers that l would put up against as far as build to GD.
any day. They are cranking them out in Indiana like they are free. Every RV builder has help wanted signs up . We were there this summer and everywhere Lippert Cardinal you name it all had signs up. Will train no exp necessary. Nice to know .
Old 10-26-2017, 01:05 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Grand design is the best I've seen
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 03:04 PM   #36

They all use the same components from lights to Washing machines. Someone tell me from walking around inside two trailers in the same price point how you do you know which is better without tearing them apart . They all have problems to one degree or another . I think the main difference is how quickly the manufacturer takes responsibility for the issue and gets it resolved in a timely fashion. Too many stories about people investing hard earned money just to have thier vacation sitting in a dealership waiting on parts that shouldn't have broken in the first place.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:36 PM   #37

With the truck they have that limits what they can tow. DRV Suites Horizons all too heavy
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:23 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
How can you legally pull a 55 foot trailer when the DOT law states 53 max . Besides most people based on driving, backing turning by large units is really weak. You get something over 40-42 you better go somewhere like a driving school and learn how to operate it and not subject people on the road to OJT.
States usually have a dimension that states something like XXX feet from the coupler/pin to the first axle, with no more than XXX length overhang after the rearmost axle. So if you pin is 4-5 foot under the nose, and the length between pin and first axle is ONLY 35 ft, and the state allows a 15 ft overhang then there's your "Legal" 55' RV. There are some that are exactly that.....

Our DRV 44 Memphis is long.... I measured it.... Hanging a plumb bob on the front cap and rear cap, the measurement between was 46'6 inches.... add the ladder on the back cap and it's 47' overall. But the pin on this behemoth is 24" back under the front cap. Pin to rear cap is ONLY... 44'5 3/4"... hence the Memphis 44... They like to round down. And that is legal in every state.....
Old 10-26-2017, 08:59 PM   #39

The trailer length is measured by Dot from end to end . Commercial trailer are 53 ft max unless you get an over length permit. I know be l have been measured when driving professionally. Why they would let a bunch amateurs haul around longer trailers is beyond me. It is hard enough getting 42 ft in some camp grounds. I know l sure wouldn't want to deal with that much trailer and l pulled them for 35 years. It would feel like working again.😁😁
Old 10-27-2017, 08:46 AM   #40

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarata View Post
Grand design is the best I've seen
Then you haven't looked around very much. Cabinet stiles are all the simulated paper wrapped reclaimed wood products. Way too many QC complaints and problems getting repairs which should never need to be fixed if QC was done at factory in the first place.
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:06 AM   #41

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Too bad Newmar doesn't make 5th wheels anymore.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:58 AM   #42

another name to consider the Vanleigh Vilano series (son and grand son of reputable coach builder). Honestly Ive spent the last year looking for the same things you are for a nice fairly well built 5th wheel for full timing and decent support if something does go wrong...factoring out the dealer support part and looking at build I consider this one on the short list of not crushing the bank and pushing us out of pickup towable...check them out at least
masdixdragon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, luxe