Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2018, 09:56 PM   #1

Question Best Medium Priced 5th wheel

We are in the market for a ~32' 5th wheel, but don't want to spend much more that $50K. Want a quality built unit, but needs to have 4 season insulation (we live in MT) and a King size bed. Considering a Artic Fox 29-5, an Montana Avalanche or Alpine and the Grand Design Reflections. Would rather buy a relatively new (2-4 yr old) used, if can find one in good shape for a good price. Would appreciate any advice! Thanks in advance!
SteveSheahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2018, 10:04 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Arctic fox all the way. I wouldn't even put the other two on the same playing field.

Now that being said, there are some quality used fivers out there, but I found that in the quality builds the decor was off putting. The DRV's of yore were nice. I think up to 2011, somewhere along the line they changed. But they are also all a bit longer.

The Artic fox is a great bet, or Outdoors RV, sister companies. I'm incredibly impressed with my ORV, and I've looked at a lot of 5th wheels. This thing is solid.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:06 PM   #3

Outdoors RV would be in you price range with a couple of options around 32'
Old 02-02-2018, 11:42 PM   #4

Artic Fox hands down. Had a 05. 25P trailer. Stayed in Spokane KOA one winter Christmas weekend. It was like 20°. Stayed nice and warm. But I did purchase a 01 SunnyBrook 27' 5th wheel this summer. Built as good as the Artic Fox. It was an one owner. Like new. $6500. Love it. Everything great working order. We were the first callers. We got lucky.
ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:12 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We just bought a 37 foot 2015 Montana High Country for $36K. It should be easy to find a lightly used one in your size range for similar or less $$. Keep in mind that you can get 25-30% off MSRP on new RV's and used RV's depreciate like a rock.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 11:47 AM   #6

All floor plans are not created equal.

The "best fifth wheel" has to take into account for your preference for the living space.

ORV and Arctic Fox fall short on their floor plans, in our case.
WheelingOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 12:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSheahan View Post
Want a quality built unit, but needs to have 4 season insulation (we live in MT) and a King size bed. Considering a Artic Fox 29-5,
AF has a good frame, built in-house, and they use Dexter axles. We have never been uncomfortable in very warm and sub-freezing temps. We have also modified ours quite a bit: disc brakes, Truma water heater, residential reefer, etc.

Virtually all 5th wheels use the same components from the same manufacturers. The mediocrity of RV components cannot be avoided, but the installation and assembly quality depends upon individual RV mfs.

Elkhart is in the middle of heavy production due to market demand. Unless a company is extremely diligent, quality can fall off during rapid production. I would personally avoid any Elkhart brands at this juncture.

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5K
Gray01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyonlands View Post
All floor plans are not created equal.

The "best fifth wheel" has to take into account for your preference for the living space.

ORV and Arctic Fox fall short on their floor plans, in our case.
While AF would be my first choice, only one floor plan meets my desires, but not DW's. Alas, she prefers form over function.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
While AF would be my first choice, only one floor plan meets my desires, but not DW's. Alas, she prefers form over function.
AF is definitely lacking in floor plan excitement.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray01 View Post
AF has a good frame, built in-house, and they use Dexter axles. We have never been uncomfortable in very warm and sub-freezing temps. We have also modified ours quite a bit: disc brakes, Truma water heater, residential reefer, etc.

Virtually all 5th wheels use the same components from the same manufacturers. The mediocrity of RV components cannot be avoided, but the installation and assembly quality depends upon individual RV mfs.

Elkhart is in the middle of heavy production due to market demand. Unless a company is extremely diligent, quality can fall off during rapid production. I would personally avoid any Elkhart brands at this juncture.
Some use mini splits instead of typical units, full size residential appliances, build their own chassis. so all don't use the same components.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
Function over form is what eliminates AF and ORV for us. That said we haven't been in their fifth wheels in person yet, and will wait until then to completely rule them out, but it's very likely.

What we're considering stays on the shorter side at around 35'. 2012-2015 Montana, Alpine, Vilano and Redwood(if we look to spend more) are on our list.

We've had very good luck with recent RVs out of the mid-west, so the floor plan still reigns supreme here.

We'll be selling our much loved View in early spring, then buying the best 5th wheel we can find, and fitting truck.
WheelingOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
Some use mini splits instead of typical units, full size residential appliances, build their own chassis. so all don't use the same components.

Who build their own chassis, uses full sized residential appliances and installs min split ACs in 32' FWs for under $50k?
Old 02-03-2018, 10:44 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've owned a Northwood trailer, Nash 22h, and know two other people who own Northwood trailers and we are all fans of them.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:46 PM   #14

We are very satisfied with our Grand Design Reflection bunkhouse model--36' with 4 slides. Never had a warranty claim or repair required in 3 years. Great floorplans available too.

This company is very customer driven too.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel