Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2020, 07:08 AM   #1

Best no prep hitch for F250

Hi all! this is my first post. I'm trying to learn to navigate,search this forum with little luck.
I'm trying to decide which hitch would be best to put in my 2019 F250.
No dealer prepped tow package. 6 3/4 bed. New to the 5th wheel thing. What say you?
TIA
RogerW64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2020, 07:36 AM   #2

Puck system from ford .Clean bed without the hitch.
buc1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:33 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerW64 View Post
Hi all! this is my first post. I'm trying to learn to navigate,search this forum with little luck.
I'm trying to decide which hitch would be best to put in my 2019 F250.
No dealer prepped tow package. 6 3/4 bed. New to the 5th wheel thing. What say you?
TIA
Short bed you should consider a slider hitch, easier to make turns.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 04:40 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Depending on the front configuration of the fifth wheel cap, you might be able to use a standard rail mounted hitch. Just watch your turning radius and test it first.

I have a Pullrite 20K mounted in my long bed and love it.

Some folks like the goose-neck systems, have fun researching and deciding.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 05:14 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum.

Universal bed rails would be the least expensive to install and would offer a wide variety of hitches. The downside is a less than clean bed if you plan to haul bulk goods when not towing your fiver.

Installation of a removable gooseneck ball in the bed would allow for a clean bed but limit the number of hitch styles. B&W turnover ball system is popular.

The trailer you pick will influence the type of hitch you will want. The style of the front (rounded corners) or a pivot point style pin box will preclude the need for a sliding hitch. There is a lot to consider when making fifth wheel preparations.

If I were starting fresh with a short bed truck, I would look into the Blue Ox Super Ride hitch. Both mounting options.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:26 PM   #6

I priced the rail system for my truck at $800 installed and a turn over B&W ball for a gooseneck which I would plan to use the Anderson Ultimate hitch with was just under $1,200.

Before this truck I had the factory puck system and I used the traditional heavy and clumsy Reese Elite 5th wheel hitch. This was from 2012 thru 2017. I traded that truck in on my current truck.

The trouble with the traditional 5th wheel hitch is they take up room in the bed of your truck plus are not easy to store. And my hitch took two guys to put in or take out, it was that heavy. Of course the advantage is it was made for a 5th wheel.

Since 2012 more methods have been developed using the goose neck ball.

You have a gooseneck ball that a Anderson Ultimate hitch mounts to. You tighten it to the ball. Then on the 5th wheel pin you mount a nylon coupler. This is all a bit hokey to me. The Anderson Ultimate hitch weighs 35 - 40lbs.

The other way to use a gooseneck ball it to replace the whole 5th wheel pin box with a pin box that connects to the ball in the bed if your truck. I forget who makes this device. But I have a crew cab truck and can not see a ball in the bed without a bed camera. My truck does not currentky have a bed camera. Adding an after market bed camera is kinda hokey to me.

After researching this I am now thinking I wish I had the factory puck system with an in bed camera.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 07:15 PM   #7

Hello RogerW64. While I was shopping for my present truck I came across a truck I was interested in, but it did not have the hitch prep package for fifth wheel gooseneck ball. I found out that I could buy the Ford hitch from the Ford accessory web site for $695.00.(You still have to buy a hitch designed for the Ford “puck” system.) I also found a video on You Tube of a man installing the kit on his truck, you can also get a bid from your local dealer to install. It really is not that complicated. All superduty frames have the bolts holes already drilled. With the Ford kit you will have a clean bed if you want to remove the hitch. The truck I ended up buying a truck that had the Ford kit already installed. I have a B&W hitch designed for the Ford system. This is the 3rd truck I have used it in. The B&W hitch comes in two pieces. I’m a senior citizen and I can install or remove it in about 10 minutes. You also have the ability to use a gooseneck ball in the hitch.
Good luck on your 5th wheel adventure.
Tex50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:21 AM   #8

Demco auto slide or Pull Rite are the two most logical choices , I would not suggest a manual slide due to the cost of body shop bill if you forget (Roughly $3500).

An F250 is only capable of about 2700lbs pin weight and that gives you about a 15000 lb trailer max. know your payload compacity's and keep in mind your hitch is 200lbs + and the pin weight is 20% of the gross trailer weight NOT the dry shipping weight the OEM post on there web page.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:29 AM   #9

I love the Anderson Ultimate gooseneck hitch in our short bed 2013 F350. It weighs 35 pounds, provides plenty of clearance for turns that are nearly 90 degrees, and can be removed in just a couple of minutes, leaving no hardware behind. In a couple of minutes I have a regular truck bed back. Also, the Anderson is really easy to hook up to the FW.

The Pullrite slider we used before that was very functional, but weighed almost 300 pounds, and I didn't like the banging if we pulled out of a turn "fast" and straightened up, slamming the hitch forward.

To me, the simplicity of the gooseneck and Anderson combo is worth any minor extra expense for an install.
treeoflib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:07 AM   #10

The Pullrite slider we used before that was very functional, but weighed almost 300 pounds, and I didn't like the banging if we pulled out of a turn "fast" and straightened up, slamming the hitch forward.

To me, the simplicity of the gooseneck and Anderson combo is worth any minor extra expense for an install.[/QUOTE]

the demco auto slide didnt make any noise. worked well and easy to hook up once it had a few miles on it. New the jaws where very tight and became easier once it was used .
Old 11-27-2020, 06:20 AM   #11
IC2

After owning a B&W hitch over the past 11 years am more then satisfied.

You can buy it in three different versions - Ford puck system which is possibly the best and what I'm using now. Then there is the goose ball version which I used in the past then they have a rail system version. All use the same head unit. There is also a slider base unit for each of the 3 types.

- No hitch is inexpensive, regardless of brand name.
- B&W hitches are two pieces. Stationary are about 70 pounds per piece with the slider somewhat more. I'm over 70 years old and have no trouble with their weights

I am not a fan of Anderson hitches and how they were engineered, especially the aluminum version though many are in successful service and most users like them. If you lean this way, do lots of research first before you spend your dollars.

Then there is that F250 but that's grist for another thread. Let's just say that all F250's are not identical.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 07:45 AM   #12

A rail system may be cheaper, but you would be happier with a puck system. I installed a B&W ball mount in my 2003 and it was very easy. Install was so easy that I ended up putting in 4 others for friends. I'd look for install videos on the Ford system and decide if it is a DIY for you or not. I kept the Companion when I upgraded trucks and all I needed was a new base to fit the GMC. I've been very happy with the B&W thru 4 fifthwheels and nearly 20 years.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:43 AM   #13

I had an andersen but now i have a b&w. I like the b&w better than the andersen. With the andersen, it puts your pin weight behind your axle while the b&w puts it in front, where you want it to stop trailer sway. I didnt get much sway with the andersen, but the difference is noticeable. My suggestion would be either a b&w with the companion hitch, or the b&w with the goosebox pin box. Ive seen a few setups that attach with magnets for bumper pulls that go on each side of the hitch so you can see how theyre lining up through your mirror. I really like my bw companion, but i think the goosebox would be great if your trailer weight allows it.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 05:50 PM   #14

I think I would like a slide. Was hoping I could get something I could put in the truck by myself when going camping. I do like the Demco and I don’t want to skimp on my hitch
RogerW64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch