Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2018, 03:09 PM   #1

Cool Best way to hook up a spare propane tank

Our Keystone Alpine 5th Wheel came with two 30# propane cylinders. Because my husband just had elbow surgery, he is a one-handed wonder for now, so I bought a 100 lb. propane tank to leave on a dolly so I can wheel it over to our campgrounds fill station and not have to refill the small tanks so often during this cold weather. Can anyone suggest the best quick disconnect system to connect to the on board regulator so we can save the small tanks for a rainy day. I don't want to have to refill the 30 pounders every 2 or 3 days over the (coming) winter when we leave in the dark and return home in the dark, and the RV Park office isn't open at 6 am and closes before we get home in the evening. I'm looking at MB Sturgis Sturgi-Stay w/ T-Fitting and hose, Type 1 Valve-Quick Disconnect, Disposable Cylinder Ports (#103615). Does anyone know of a better set up - maybe this isn't even what I'm looking for, but the description sounds like it would work without having to remove the two 30 lb. tanks - just hook to the existing regulator. We tend to be in one spot for a year or more before my husband's company sends him to a new location, so this would be a very helpful set up for our needs.
sooney50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2018, 08:40 PM   #2

YEP........
Disconnect one of the cylinder PIGTAIL hose from cylinder (ACME Green Nut)
Screw Adapter 'T' onto cylinder (ACME Red Nut)....then screw Pigtail ACME Green nut onto the adapter 'T'
Connect hone to 100lb cylinder and plug in quick disconnect end of hose into Adapter 'T' (just remember to USE the SHUT OFF Valve on Adapter 'T' when disconnecting hose AND to leave the 30# cylinder OPD valve closed)

S/B easy-peasy
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
YEP........
Screw Adapter 'T' onto cylinder (ACME Red Nut)....then screw Pigtail ACME Green nut onto the adapter 'T'
Thanks! I never knew about the red nut option for higher pressure, flow. There's a lot more I need to learn about LPG plumbing....
manowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by manowell View Post
Thanks! I never knew about the red nut option for higher pressure, flow. There's a lot more I need to learn about LPG plumbing....

The ACME Propane Nuts come in 3 different colors based on BTU/Hr demand
(100% of appliances in service)

Black.....up to 100,000btu/hr
Green....up to 200,000btu/hr (RVs)
Red.......up to 400,000btu/hr

***Above are most common ratings
Different ratings can be found.
70k/80k for black and 500k for red
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
YEP........
Connect hone to 100lb cylinder and plug in quick disconnect end of hose into Adapter 'T' (just remember to USE the SHUT OFF Valve on Adapter 'T' when disconnecting hose AND to leave the 30# cylinder OPD valve closed)

S/B easy-peasy

THANK YOU for your help. We're off and running!
sooney50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, propane, tank