Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2021, 06:42 PM   #1

Bike Rack on Front

Has anyone mounted the bike rack on front of the pin box or front of Truck
I have seen them but can't find them
Tried of having the bouncing on the back
Two Electric Bikes and with several close calls with one wheel hanging off the rack
Massanutten is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2021, 07:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massanutten View Post
Has anyone mounted the bike rack on front of the pin box or front of Truck
I have seen them but can't find them
Tried of having the bouncing on the back
Two Electric Bikes and with several close calls with one wheel hanging off the rack
Before I traded in my 16 model, i bought the draw tite front recieve hitch. I then put my bike rack into that. We hauled our bikes on that for a couple years. Ill be honest, i was never so happy to get that thing off the front of the truck. It partially blocked my view, even with a drop down, it was definitly a distraction that i could never get used to anyway. Plus im one of those guys that doesn't stop until the last minute and I had a few close calls with our bikes, plus keep in mind that while making turns you will have to cut your turn radius a little shorter so you don't hit your bikes on an oncoming car. I personally would never do it again. As a matter of fact, I've been trying to literally give away for free the $150 draw tite receiver and I can't get anybody to take it, for free with all the bolts, looks like new. For a ram model from 2011-2018. Does this sound like an advertisement. Its just something else in my tool box that's taking up pay load.
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:33 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I had on my 1988 with chrome bumpers a bike rack on the front.

Now I would get a front receiver. Only issue, if you want to call it an issue. The bikes get dirty. Dead bugs, lots of road dirt. Jmu
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:42 PM   #4

eBikes are heavy, I wouldn't want to hoist them up onto a pin box set up, but I have seen a few there and they do ride stabile. Before you junk the rear hitch idea, take a look at Swagman Escape. eTrailers.com has a good listing. The Escape is rated for the rear of your trailer. We've used ours without incident now for over 5000 miles and we are very satisfied. I do remove the battery though to cut down on the weight a bit. You do need a frame mounted receiver hitch and not a receiver mounted on your rear bumper.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 10:30 PM   #5

I have a receiver on the front of my F450 and mount my Ebikes up there on a Hollywood rack. I do have to agree with Billet Bee it gets annoying but it does work. I am always fearful of where I am going to smash the bikes but the bigger issue is the bugs. Can't cover them or you block air flow to the engine.

Our new rig has a receiver on the rear and will be mounting back there with the Swagman if I can ever find one. Sold out everywhere. The only thing is on a front mount I always know they are still with me.
r3842id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 10:44 PM   #6

after i took mine off the front, i used my swagman on the rear of my fiver, I can see it perfect in my trailer camera. We have 2 heavy townie bikes and all i did for extra support is 2 of those cheap ratchet straps that you just pull tight and it locks itself, no ratcheting, no bouncing, no visibility distractions, no worries about sticking the bikes out into traffic. The last thing you want to have to worry about when your making a turn pulling your fifth wheel, is to cut it short so you don't stick your bikes in traffic, then if you cut it to short, your curbing your Trailer tires, it's a whole thing. I suggest finding a way to secure it to the rear better
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 04:16 PM   #7

Thanks for all the great advise I am going to try front I have Kuwat rack When the bikes are on the back they seem to bounce around, at least on the front I will see them.
Massanutten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 10:09 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Massanutten, I think I found the post you are looking for. Go to 3/09/21 Bike rack for 5th wheel by Road Eye Pie pg #2
Old 04-09-2021, 03:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH3Guy View Post
Massanutten, I think I found the post you are looking for. Go to 3/09/21 Bike rack for 5th wheel by Road Eye Pie pg #2
So the next person doesn't have to search for it...
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/bike...-524999-2.html
Old 04-10-2021, 01:33 PM   #10

This is the best I can do with pictures for now. 2 different trucks and the kids bikes got bigger but still have room for 4 bikes. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210410-153126_Photos.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	324519Click image for larger version

Name:	20210325_173343.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	324520
jtobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 01:42 PM   #11

I have seen this done many times - are there any drawbacks outside of lifting the bikes up there? I have been in search for a "RV Safe" bike rack specifically the Swagman Escapee but can't find one in stock - this would seem to mitigate that need.

It seems the positives would be they are up out of the way and I could cover them further protecting the bikes and the cap of the 5er. The less bugs to get off the cap paint the better. Our eBikes are 48lbs each but I lift them into the back of our F450 all of the time. hmmmm...
Old 04-11-2021, 06:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3842id View Post
So the next person doesn't have to search for it...
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/bike...-524999-2.html

Yes, that is my post, as to E-bikes, depends on your strength. Our current bikes are both aluminum framed so lighter. I can load them from the ground, if e-bikes I would lift to bed, then get in bed to load. Sure beats getting to campground without your bikes!
Rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 06:54 AM   #13

Lifting them up to put them on the rack is the biggest downfall. If you wanted to cover them it would keep the bugs off of them but you need a heavy duty cover. I tried a grill cover and that lasted about 10 miles before the handle bar poked through. I just spray the bikes off now, but they are not e bikes.
jtobbe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike rack