Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2005, 05:41 AM   #1

I was wondering if someone could help me. I am a seasonal camper and my camper is up on blocks so I cannot drive it around. I have a terrible odor coming from my black tank. When ever we flush the odor is unbearable. I have used formadahyde pucks in the tank. I have used all different types of chemicals. I have wanded the tank after being dumped. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Matthew
Ernhrts3n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2005, 05:41 AM   #2

I was wondering if someone could help me. I am a seasonal camper and my camper is up on blocks so I cannot drive it around. I have a terrible odor coming from my black tank. When ever we flush the odor is unbearable. I have used formadahyde pucks in the tank. I have used all different types of chemicals. I have wanded the tank after being dumped. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Matthew
Old 08-15-2005, 01:13 PM   #3

i would shut my tank and fill it was water and chemical and let it sit for a while and than dump it.....i would use bleach but i know that s a HUGE No NO due to it rotts the seals....can you make the trailer "lean to the valve side while he try draining it? maybe you are not getting it cleaned all the way

San Antonio, Texas
DanJenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 03:31 PM   #4

When you store it, you need to add the blue liquid chemical AND about 3 gallons of water.

Ours stunk to high heaven till I started doing this every time I emptied. ours would only sit 2 or 3 weeks.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 05:28 PM   #5

You should be hearing an echo---water,water,water. Usually this condition develops from a lack of water in the tank, allowing the "contents" to dry-up. Try filling the tank about 3/4 full of water, add about 3 tablespoons of Rid-X and allow to sit for as long as possible to allow the bacteria to work, breaking up solids and cleaning the tank interior. If you suspect TP build-up is a problem, use the product now sold(WalMart is one place) that guarantees to dissolve all types of TP.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 02:43 AM   #6

My tank gets dumped on a Monday and I don't return until Friday afternoon. So, then I should go back on Monday night and put the chemicals in with water so that it has a better chance of not drying out and smelling? I never had this problem with my old trailer (maybe because it had a smaller holding tank). If I use the rid-x, then I shouldn't use any chemicals, is this correct? Thanks in advance.

Matthew
Old 08-16-2005, 07:02 AM   #7

I'd be leary of using Rid-X. It may eat your seals up. All you need to do is maintain it properly. It needs a good flushing now, and when it flushes clean, add about 3 gallons of water, and maybe 4 to 8 ounces of blue chemical. Problem will then go away.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:05 PM   #8

Try using a mixture of laundry detergent (liquid), water softener (Calgon works well and can be found at Wal-Mart) and a half gallon of bleach. Fill the tank with warm or hot water and let it set for a couple of hours. Flush with clean water then before using the commode again, add more water softener and laundry detergent. I buy the cheapest detergent I can find, the water softener keeps "gunk" from sticking to the tank, and the bleach helps sanitize. I have been using this method for a while now and it controls odor very well. when I am not using the tank, I still keep some detergent and water in the tank. I hope this helps... It is cheaper than the stuff you buy at Camping World.
b.thurston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 04:49 PM   #9

DON'T PUT BLEACH IN YOUR BLACK TANK. Use RidX, it is merely enzymes + bacteria. Will work in anerobic and aerobic climates to dissolve what we all put in the black tank. No way the little critters in RidX will damage the RUBBER seals. For God's sake take a little time to learn rather than posting totally inaccurate information aimed at people who are just starting out and trying to get true info. Black tanks are simply tiny septic tanks; the enzymes & bacteria(be they wet or dry upon
insertion)immediately begin to digest available waste matter and multiply exponentially. The more time available the more digestion occurs, but even a day or two will liquify all solids. Face it: S--T stinks. If you can't handle that buy a condo and drive a Focus!
Best Luck, Jim
Old 10-15-2005, 08:03 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You need to keep a minimum of about 5 gallons of water in you black tank at all times. You should also check your vent pipe and see if it is upwind or near you A/C if you are using it. You could be just sucking in the black tank odor that is going out of it. Maybe try moving the trailer or tuning it in a another direction.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:27 AM   #11

Before you go moving the the rig I would make sure the vent is clear. I had the problem last winter and it was a wasps nest. Took the cap off and there they were. Used bug spray and than ran a garden hose down to make sure it was clear all the way to the tank. No more oder. Rob
Old 10-17-2005, 03:34 PM   #12

We all go through some type of cleaning procedure for the black tank, but few if any of us really clean the gray tank. Think about what goes into your gray tank, food particules, dead skin (showers), soap scum, well you get the picture. Most sinks have a vent under the cabinet that allows the gray tank to be emptied with out draining the trap. Your trap could still be holding water but this vent is bad. The vent costs under $5.00 at any home or plumbing store. I have replaced these vents twice and eventually bought a cap and closed it off completely.
Now I have added a quickee flush/no fuss flush to my gray tank in an attempt to clean it a throughly as the black tank. Also run water into the sinks, and add some chemicals into the gray tank also.
This has helped cut down on the gray tank odors that we have experienced.
Lastly I installed a RV 360 vent, everything combined and the smell is GONE!
Hope this helps.
dawg is offline   Reply With Quote