Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2019, 01:15 AM   #1

Blocking up for permanent site

I have a 42'10" 5th wheel camper on a permanent site I plan to keep it at year round. I live in the upper peninsula of michigan where we get mega amounts of snow and I will be shoveling the roof off at least a couple times over the winter. The camper rests on a clay soil base compacted by bulldozer and a compacted gravel/crushed rock pad underneath it which was also compacted by a bulldozer so its quite solid. I have the lippert 6 point level up system with treated 2x12 blocks under each jack. What I want to do is block it up somehow so they weight is off the tires and hydraulics. I have 1 middle jack on the right side with a bad seal that leaks ATF fluid onto the foot, its not bad but I auto level weekly just for the hell of it... What materials would you use and where would you place the blocking. I have access to treated lumber and cinder blocks. Heres a couple pictures of the rv and site
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camper.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	489.7 KB
ID:	248891   Click image for larger version

Name:	camper3.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	491.2 KB
ID:	248892  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2019, 05:09 AM   #2

its designed to sit like that all the time. cant see a need to take the weight off it. blocking could put the frame in a bind or crack if not 100% correctly done.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:17 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I will be doing the same thing soon in Myrtle Beach, SC. I plan to use either blocks with wooden wedges or 12" adjustable floor jacks. I spoke to Lippert and they said ok to leave jacks down but recommend cycling them once monthly. I will level and block and do not plan to lift tires off the ground.

I will be skirting the rig thus the need to block it up.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:38 AM   #4

A few years back we stayed for a summer in a site and put the 5th wheel tires on 2x6 boards then raised the 5th wheel to release pressure on the wheels, lowered the frame on cinder blocks (wedges) to eliminate any shake in the rig. The legs where down touching the ground but not really carrying any weight.
Itinerant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:49 AM   #5

Blocking is done all the time. You just have to make sure it is level. The easy way is to get the rig level with the onboard system then build your blocks and measure from the frame to the blocks. Shim as necessary. Then manually lower the rig onto the blocks.Make sure the blocks do not interfere with the skirting you will want to install later.

I would consider taking the tires off and getting the rig closer to the ground.

Or............... Lifting it much higher to get away from the snow.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:50 PM   #6

I was thinking treated 2x12 on ground the cinder blocks with a treated 2x8 or so cap where it touches the frame. I would just level the system then measure to my bottom 2x12 to the frame and mark it at each spot then put my blocking to that exact height. Also I will be raising the tires off the ground and puttting treated lumber underneath and putting tire covers over them. And I was then going to just lightly bump the jacks all down a hair so the weight gos onto the blocking but the jacks still remain down. Does this sound like an alright plan? I wouldnt care about just leaving them on the jacks i know the system is made for it but the back is wobbly being as the last jacks are right behind the tires theres a long distance to the back from the tires.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:25 PM   #7

Sound about right. Why not just back or drive on to the boards? You might want poly shims (just like the wooden kind but plastic) they'll help filling the small gaps if any.
Itinerant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:33 PM   #8

What a waste of such a great 5th wheel, it really needs to roll down the road. Oh well you enjoy it anyway.
Tide Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinerant1 View Post
Sound about right. Why not just back or drive on to the boards? You might want poly shims (just like the wooden kind but plastic) they'll help filling the small gaps if any.

i can just use the hydraulics to lift it right off the ground and just put the boards under the tires then drop it on them much easier
Old 06-07-2019, 08:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tide Guy View Post
What a waste of such a great 5th wheel, it really needs to roll down the road. Oh well you enjoy it anyway.

well i dont get alot of time to travel im always busy im only 32 years old if i were retired i would hit the road but staying on 70 acres of private property 500 feet from lake superior is going to have to be good enough for now lol. To me its like a camp. I got my yard I get to setup however I want and decorate it, and I can get ubnoxiously drunk and play loud music until 4am and nobody can even hear but whoevers there. And I can have huge fires with 20 foot flames all night lol. The getaway...
Old 06-07-2019, 08:53 PM   #11

I can understand your point. Being retired I do have the time to ride the roads. Well enjoy the rig. Looks great.
Tide Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 07:33 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I would build a crib out off 4 by 4 pressure treated cut at 16 in. safer than cinder block they can crush. What I mean by crib is place 2 one way then 2the other way then 2 same as first then 2 same as 2 way and so on till reach height then wedge
benderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:11 AM   #13

I would retract the jacks. The inner tube of the ram that slides in an out will rust. Properly blocked you will not need them.

How will you keep the snow from piling up against the storage doors and sides of the rig.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by benderdog View Post
I would build a crib out off 4 by 4 pressure treated cut at 16 in. safer than cinder block they can crush. What I mean by crib is place 2 one way then 2the other way then 2 same as first then 2 same as 2 way and so on till reach height then wedge

Like you do when you are jacking up a building to move it I know what you mean. It would be a bit of an eyesore I think. id be putting the cinder blocks in 3-4 places and the jacks would still have some of the weight on them as well it should be fine. I could use a double row of block at each spot i have alot of blocks laying around.