Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2018, 03:08 PM   #15

So - are boondocking and dry camping the same thing to most people? We generally camp with no hookups but in actual forest service campgrounds. So we have neighbors, we pay a small fee, there are nice fire rings already there for us and sometimes a bear box. I use the words interchangeably and what I described I would call boondocking or dry camping.
kportra is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2018, 03:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kportra View Post
So - are boondocking and dry camping the same thing to most people? We generally camp with no hookups but in actual forest service campgrounds. So we have neighbors, we pay a small fee, there are nice fire rings already there for us and sometimes a bear box. I use the words interchangeably and what I described I would call boondocking or dry camping.
I would say they're the same thing. I call it not having any hookups at all.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:31 PM   #17

Boondocking is camping out in the sticks. Not the same as dry camping where you have a CG with spurs. There's usually an outhouse there at dry CG's
Boondocking is driving off the road where there's no picnic table, no water/elec/sewer no designated predetermined camping spot. There may be a pile of rocks in a circle for a fire made by previous campers.
If you can walk 100' to a store like wally world you ain't boondocking.

boon·docks
ˈbo͞onˌdäks/Submit
nounNORTH AMERICANinformal
rough, remote, or isolated country.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kportra View Post
I have camped in a forest service campgrounds , and they are quite nice. The one's I have been in have a building with shower and washroom facilities . You could call that dry camping , but I would not call it boondocking. I am led to believe that when boondocking , there is nothing around.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:25 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
I've hiked over 700 miles on the Appalachian Trail with nothing but a 50 lb pack on my back (water, food, tent, sleeping bag, clothes) and I'd say if you're sleeping in a 30+ ft RV, then you ain't camping. Oh, no black water tanks involved.
RoadEyePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:52 PM   #20

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Boondocking is camping out in the sticks. Not the same as dry camping where you have a CG with spurs. There's usually an outhouse there at dry CG's
Boondocking is driving off the road where there's no picnic table, no water/elec/sewer no designated predetermined camping spot. There may be a pile of rocks in a circle for a fire made by previous campers.
If you can walk 100' to a store like wally world you ain't boondocking.

boon·docks
ˈbo͞onˌdäks/Submit
nounNORTH AMERICANinformal
rough, remote, or isolated country.
To me, boondocking is making your own campsite. It can be done in many National Forests, you just pull off the road and try to get out of sight of the road. Camping in a campsite, un-improved or not, isn't the same. I won't get into vocabulary, but I do quietly smile to myself when people park a fully featured RV in the woods and call it roughing it. I too have hiked the Appalachian Trail and many miles into the wilderness outside Yellowstone, Adirondack backcountry, and Banff, Alberta. That's roughing it. Read about how John Muir used to go into the woods and you'll understand.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:55 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
~ Yes, over-nighting at a Walmart. (Wally-Docking)

~ Yes, parking overnight at a Cabela's

~ Yes, parking in my sis-n-laws driveway in North Pole AK. for a month. ( I'm cheating here as I get a 20 amp power source and hot showers.) I still call it boon-docking.

~ Yes, just pull off the Alcan into a gravel parking lot and call it home for the night.

~ Yes, can't locate a Walmart to over-night. Truck-stop as a last resort. (Flying J / Pilot)
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 05:16 PM   #22

99% of our camping is boondocking
You have it all, water, electric, batteries or gen set, fridge, beer
20170825_115515_HDR1 by 185 EZ, on Flickr
You would miss sites like this at campgrounds
Williams2008021_zps28627829 by 185 EZ, on Flickr
IMG_1347 by 185 EZ, on Flickr
or this

Occasionally it's nice to do this,
20170927_1658121 by 185 EZ, on Flickr
185EZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:43 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Ok, so we're talking about boondocking. Just for the record, I like any and all kinds of "camping" if it gets me outdoors.

Question: since boondocking is done in the middle of anywhere but an RV site, it's most likely not flat and level. Say you stop on a slight slop, say 8-10" drop from front to back. How much leveling can your leveling system handle? Can it level out a 10" difference? How important is it to be "level"? Given you have a sloping site, is it best to have the front or the back on the higher end?
RoadEyePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:53 PM   #24

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithnorv View Post
Ok, so we're talking about boondocking. Just for the record, I like any and all kinds of "camping" if it gets me outdoors.

Question: since boondocking is done in the middle of anywhere but an RV site, it's most likely not flat and level. Say you stop on a slight slop, say 8-10" drop from front to back. How much leveling can your leveling system handle? Can it level out a 10" difference? How important is it to be "level"? Given you have a sloping site, is it best to have the front or the back on the higher end?
The most important factor in leveling is your refrigerator if it's an RV absorption type. They don't need to be perfectly level, but any slope that you can feel in the floor or table is too much. (1.5º-2.5º) You can usually find something close to level, and blocks under the tires and or jacks can help. Just keep the rear tires in a motorhome on the ground or it might roll!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:08 PM   #25

Some good methods of human waste disposal here:

https://lnt.org/learn/principle-3
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:14 PM   #26

Boondocking?

Quote:

With enough blocks you can level it. I've been in some pretty unlevel situations in our TT but with enough wood and even some stumps for the stabilizers we managed it.

I've seen people do far far worse without issue.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:14 AM   #27

Quote:

That would be easy if the front is sloping down. If the front is sloping up then you have to worry about the tongue jack letting the front down enough. As well as when the fronts way down and if you have rear steps they're way up in the air. You have to have another step to get to your steps.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:36 AM   #28

I find it interesting that some get up in arms, due to others terminologies
"Ain't Nobody Got Time For That"
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking