Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2019, 02:25 PM   #15

I also have airbags though just the springs are enough they just seem to soften the bounce when just having springs. Also have Bilstiens on . You want to be in the middle of the slide to little air and it will hammer the hitch . Good luck . I just don’t understand how you have chucking between that hitch and a morryde pin box . You should feel zero in the way of chucking .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2019, 05:21 PM   #16

Round 2
I went and picked up the fifth wheel this afternoon. I checked the air pressure in the bags after hitching up the trailer. It was 40 psi. That was with the crossbar in the middle of the slide. I brought it up to 45 psi and started home. I immediately noticed that it was chucking and the ride was still pretty harsh. Once I got onto a highway I stopped and brought the pressure up to 50 psi. There was a noticeable difference, the ride was smoother but the chucking was still there though not as much as before. I stopped again and aired up to 55 psi and I think I found the sweet spot but the damn chucking though lighter was still there. I have a MORryde rubber pinbox and never had this much chucking with the B&W hitch. When I unhitched I noticed how much the pin had been moving, see attached picture. Anyone have any opinions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191027_183012870.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	423.6 KB
ID:	264998  
37driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 06:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37driver View Post
Round 2
I went and picked up the fifth wheel this afternoon. I checked the air pressure in the bags after hitching up the trailer. It was 40 psi. That was with the crossbar in the middle of the slide. I brought it up to 45 psi and started home. I immediately noticed that it was chucking and the ride was still pretty harsh. Once I got onto a highway I stopped and brought the pressure up to 50 psi. There was a noticeable difference, the ride was smoother but the chucking was still there though not as much as before. I stopped again and aired up to 55 psi and I think I found the sweet spot but the damn chucking though lighter was still there. I have a MORryde rubber pinbox and never had this much chucking with the B&W hitch. When I unhitched I noticed how much the pin had been moving, see attached picture. Anyone have any opinions?
That looks same as our morryde rpb.
Did you get the new shocks on truck?
Did the new hitch move the kingpin in relation to the truck rear axle forward or aft? Or up and down? If you are nose up or down will affect chucking

Are you carrying any fresh water on board?
If not try adding some. Fresh water tank is usually aft of the trailer tandems... Thinking lift a little weight off the pin and the truck springs. See if that helps

Just my 1/2cent

RoadrunnerII
Old 10-27-2019, 07:44 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadrunnerII View Post
That looks same as our morryde rpb.
Did you get the new shocks on truck?
Did the new hitch move the kingpin in relation to the truck rear axle forward or aft? Or up and down? If you are nose up or down will affect chucking

Are you carrying any fresh water on board?
If not try adding some. Fresh water tank is usually aft of the trailer tandems... Thinking lift a little weight off the pin and the truck springs. See if that helps

Just my 1/2cent

RoadrunnerII
Thanks, I'll try adding the water. The trailer appears to be level, I'll take another look at it. The shocks won't be here until Wednesday. I've never really looked at the pinbox so I didn't know if that was normal. I have another rental delivery at VIR this Thursday so we'll see if the shocks help. Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:10 PM   #19

Take a look at all the bolts hitch and kingpin while you are at it. If any are loose that is not good.
Make sure when you are hitched up the king pin has little movement front to back in the hitch saddle.
Crap happens in manufacturing. If your hitch has too much clearance on the kingpin that will make for chucking.
Since its a new hitch I would get someone to pull ahead then backup while you watch.
Something is just not right
You should have a smoother ride than us!
New shocks are just going to be icing on the cake

RoadrunnerII
Old 10-28-2019, 06:31 PM   #20

It's been a really frustrating day. I took a friend of mine with me and hooked up to the trailer. We both eyeballed the hitch while the other pulled forward a few feet and braked. The hitch head pitched forward and down and the MorRyde pinbox plate moved fully front to rear before stopping. We also saw that the top of the horizontal beam over the air bags flexed forward about a 1/4 inch. I called Aaron at Hensley and he insisted this was normal. I called MORryde and they suggested making sure the trailer was level. It was sitting 1 3/4 inches nose low. I adjusted the hitch up 1 1/2 inches and the damned thing is still chucking. On a fairly smooth interstate it chucks whenever throttle is applied and when it's decreased. I'm starting to think this particular hitch is screwed up. Not buying that the flexing is normal. I towed this thing a good bit with the Companion hitch and this pin box and never had this problem.
Old 10-28-2019, 07:47 PM   #21

Grand Design Owners Club
I think I would put the Champion back in and do a test run to make sure nothing has changed with the pin box or truck. If the chucking is gone , sounds like a problem with the new hitch.
Charlie
cfowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:59 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfowler55 View Post
I think I would put the Champion back in and do a test run to make sure nothing has changed with the pin box or truck. If the chucking is gone , sounds like a problem with the new hitch.
Charlie
I think Charlie is right
Go back and try your old hitch again. If the chucking is gone the new hitch has an issue in the air ride mechanics or is not hitching properly to the morryde kingpin.

RoadrunnerII
Old 10-28-2019, 08:03 PM   #23

I have to take it back to VIR Thursday so I'll change it out and see what the result is.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:24 PM   #24

Quote:
Round 2
When your trailer goes over bumps the trailer rotates around an axis parallel with your axles. Due to the high hitch of a fifth wheel, the forces created are both bouncing and chucking (fore/aft). As the pin pushes down it is also pushing forward. Your new air hitch is allowing more bouncing movement, therefore more chucking movement. The amount of chucking forces relative to bouncing forces is related to your hitch angle (this is why bumper tows don't chuck as their hitch angle is close to zero). Generally, long trailers have shallow hitch angles and chucking isn't as much an issue as with shorter trailers.

One way to alleviate chucking is to use a solid hitch and vehicle air bags to stifle any bouncing forces and quell chucking forces. This creates a terrible ride both from the truck and the trailer. Plus, it is hard on the gear as frame flex and welds have to dissipate the energy the trailer is still generating. The BD series of hitches have the disadvantage of having no give relative to chucking forces due to the upright bars. Usually, combined with a MORryde pin box, the combination provides a very nice tow. Based on your picture, your pin box is definitely doing its job!

Your problem makes the case for the TS3 hitch. With the high hinge design, the hitch head retracts while it is being pushed down, dissipating both bouncing and chucking forces. It is too bad Hensley doesn't make the TS3 for your puck system. It is curious that all trailers tow differently. Mine was a chucking machine and the TS3 solved it completely. You can take measures to keep your trailer from rotating as much; trailer shocks, more weight forward, and less air pressure in you trailer tires if you have the safety margin. Good luck, I know it is frustrating.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:43 AM   #25

Thanks to all of you for your time and help. I finally just threw in the towel and sent it back.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:31 PM   #26

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Man, sorry it didn't work out for you. I'm surprised. I love mine BD3 and I know I'll never have a conventional, rigid hitch ever again.
jdpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 10:04 AM   #27

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well this is shocking! I have never heard of a negative outcome with Trailersaver. I had the B&W prior to my BD5 and although it is a great solid hitch, it could not be compared to my BD5. Good luck.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:34 PM   #28

Quote:
It's been a really frustrating day. I took a friend of mine with me and hooked up to the trailer. We both eyeballed the hitch while the other pulled forward a few feet and braked. The hitch head pitched forward and down and the MorRyde pinbox plate moved fully front to rear before stopping. We also saw that the top of the horizontal beam over the air bags flexed forward about a 1/4 inch. I called Aaron at Hensley and he insisted this was normal. I called MORryde and they suggested making sure the trailer was level. It was sitting 1 3/4 inches nose low. I adjusted the hitch up 1 1/2 inches and the damned thing is still chucking. On a fairly smooth interstate it chucks whenever throttle is applied and when it's decreased. I'm starting to think this particular hitch is screwed up. Not buying that the flexing is normal. I towed this thing a good bit with the Companion hitch and this pin box and never had this problem.

Just wondering what is your pin weight percentage, anything under 20% will not hep.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, trailer