Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2020, 06:57 PM   #43

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post
Or we could combine both by debating the benefits of hydrogen in tires.

Again.

That would be nitrogen, tires with the little green caps.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2020, 07:10 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post
That would be nitrogen, tires with the little green caps.
Ha ha, yeah, it didn’t feel right when I hit the Submit Post button.
Old 01-12-2020, 03:55 PM   #45

I met a guy on the road that did not have a broken axle but the mounting hardware between the frame and leaf's.
The manufacturer admitted the problem.
He still had to fix it 3 times.
I'd have a lawyer involved if I had a problem like you.
tinman68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 04:41 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flee2thewood View Post
Being that my sister didn't give me too many details, other than describing what their back wheels looked like, as they were slanted outward, and from what the repairs shop told her, they used the "term" broken.

I admit, after posting I thought having more details would have been prudent. And when she gets back from her cruise I can get more details.

Being that it's a ToyHauler, I wouldn't think that it would have "Faux" axles and that the unit was not meant to move.

Thanks for the replies, and as I said. In a week, if she's willing to share details, I'll forward them on. This forum is so great about getting advice, and sharing experiences.
Thanks again...oh and a bad cold has kept me from jumping back on to answer questions. :(

I owned a Heartland BigHorn until I purchsed my Plazzo 33.2. All axles for Heartland are made by Lippert. I had my axles bend and have to be realigned do to the road conditions going across country twice. I took mine to a truck/trailer alignment shop. They realigned the axles using a laser alignment system. $365.00 the first time and $280.00 the second. Unless they are cracked, you do not have to replace them. If you do, you might want to replace them with Dexter's axles. They are thicker and heaver then Lippert's.
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 07:14 PM   #47

Outdoors RV Owners Club
As long as people continue to buy RV’s that have a majority of parts labeled Lippert, Chinese junk, they will fail, often unexpectedly. Buyers have to demand not only quality assembly,,but builders need to start using quality components. No wonder industry shipment are way down. Buyers are getting smarter, though slowly. While all the real quality builders closed during the recession, their quality and lasting products are in demand.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:25 PM   #48

Speaking of quality, I'm interested in a 2005 Travel Supreme, 45 feet, with a Cummins ISL 500 HP coach on a K2 Spartan chassis. Any thoughts?
Linda Bohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:38 PM   #49

If you are worried about your toyhauler having axel and spring problems. You need to trade it in on a Prevost 45ft. 500hp Volvo toyhauler. Yes , Prevost will build you one. And I guarantee you will not have to worry about overloading it, I also bet it will climb any hill you want to go up on a paved road plus with Lithium batteries and solar panels you can go Boondocking anytime you want..
Florida Rang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:03 PM   #50

Wow!!! I wish someone had told me that pretty much all toyhaulers have wheel and axle issues every year before I bought mine to full time in. I must have been very lucky. I have 4800 lbs on the pin and 15,200 lbs spread across three 7000 lb axles, am loaded right to the GVWR, and have yet to have a single tire/axle/brake issue after full timing back and forth across the country in it for the last 7 years.
Now having said that, I am probably going to wish I had kept my mouth shut and never put it in writing.
mb36912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:07 PM   #51

Yes, when you put it in writing, you are asking to be jinxed.
Linda Bohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:05 PM   #52

To the point of the OP’s question I personally did have axle, suspension, and frame issues on a 2008 Heartland Cyclone toy hauler that I purchased new. It was a 43’10” Tri-axle trailer. I had my springs and axle bend and they were 5200lb. axles with 15” 8 ply tires. They were upgraded by Heartland to 7000lb. axles with 6 hole wheel pattern but they did not upgrade the wheels and tires. I eventually did that on my own due to consistent tire failure. I also had the frame crack above each of the shackle spring mounts which I fixed myself. Is was about 3 years old by then. The frame, suspension, and several other items were severely under engineered in my opinion. I did not overload it based on the rated capacity. From what I have read in the online brochures they have heavier axles and tires but not sure of the frame. Hopefully this is the info the OP was looking for.
I traded this unit to a dealer for a used motor home and disclosed all I had done to the RV but I have a feeling it didn’t pass that info to the next owner.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:40 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post
My questions whats a faux axle? Why would they put one under any TT or 5W?? They are sent to dealers to sell not to sit on a lot and look pretty.

Are they supposed to sit and look pretty until sold then the shop puts real axles under them?
A Faux axle is installed after the Fee is paid and Fi is applied.
Redfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:42 AM   #54

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flee2thewood View Post
My sister has a 5th wheel toy hauler from Heartland, and they have had to fix a broken axle on numerous occasions. Seems like each time they take it anywhere, it ends up with an axle repair job. I think they are on their 3rd or 4th repair at this point. Most recently, drove it from CO to VA, no toys, and once here found out the back axle was broken again. Repaired here, drove back to CO, and it's broke again. Anyone else having this issue with the rear axle?

IMO a broken axle is a SAFETY issue. Your sister should file a complaint FOR EACH failure with NHTSA. She will need the VIN#.
It seems that the only way we will see better safety and quality in the RV industry is when NHTSA forces a recall which will cost the RV company more money than using better quality parts and process in the RV in the first place.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:21 AM   #55

Doesn't sound like a broken axle, but a bent one. As stated before, I too and many others have had miss-aligned axles do to the pounding they take. I also had two broken spring hanger and a one inch crack on one I-beam. My welder says he fixes several a year for the two local dealerships. Heartland says it is a Lippert problem, Lippert says they design and provide the product to the trailer manufactures specifications. So you get the round of fun and it's the other guy's problem.
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:37 AM   #56

Owned a 2010 Heartland Northrail TT that had 4400# Lippert axles under it. After 2 years both axles needed re-aligned. Probably did when I 1st bought it but the tire wear took a while to show up. anyhow the tech guy doing the bending siad the axle material was soft so he put extra camber in.
Owned our previous 5er for 6 years. After 5 years it needed an alignment. It came with Al-CO axles. Tech guy doing the alignment said when ever they put new axles on someones trailer they still do an alignment because so many come out out of alignment.
Current TT has Dexter axles but on 5000 miles on them so time will tell.

If the OP's sister really had broken axles then they be stuck on the hwy. I think the terminology is wrong.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote