Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2020, 11:54 AM   #57

Tiffin Owners Club
Exclamation Sounds like Operator Error causing all the issues

Based on what you wrote, it seems to me that the base of all the problems is your sister, they seemingly keep doing the same wrong thing over and over and over and they want to blame the Manufacturer instead of looking at what they do and how they do it to cause all the problems. They may be running over curbs, drifting and putting the tires off the road, driving too fast and not having a sway bar and they sway constantly which would account for what you say? It would be most beneficial to look at the source first and that would be the ones towing!
RV_Road_Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2020, 12:25 PM   #58

Tiffin Owners Club
Exclamation HJLowell's reply is spot on!

Reading all the comments and HJLowell's is spot on because he feels as I do that it is the operator and not the unit, there are so many things that you can do wrong that would cause her problems and since it is a repeating problem, I would venture to say it is the way they are towing it and by changing what they are doing would eliminate the issue. It pays to learn how to tow correctly even though you think that you know what to do, too many people having never towed anything before goes out and buys a unit and assume you hook it up and tow it like a small trailer that they towed years earlier.
RV_Road_Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:12 AM   #59

Faux axle

I've been around TT's. 5'ers and all sorts of trailers for many years. There is no such thing as a Faux axle being installed and once the unit is purchased, then a real axle gets installed. They don't' even use Faux axles for store displays. They have real axles in a rack when they have them.

Most if not all TT's and 5'ers are towed wheels on the road to the dealers. They may put several of the really small TT's on a flatbed to get several hauled at once, but they too will have real axles.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:18 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfishman View Post
A Faux axle is installed after the Fee is paid and Fi is applied.
Unless they fum(ble) it.
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2020, 08:31 AM   #61

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlpeloquin View Post
Doesn't sound like a broken axle, but a bent one. As stated before, I too and many others have had miss-aligned axles do to the pounding they take. I also had two broken spring hanger and a one inch crack on one I-beam. My welder says he fixes several a year for the two local dealerships. Heartland says it is a Lippert problem, Lippert says they design and provide the product to the trailer manufactures specifications. So you get the round of fun and it's the other guy's problem.

IMO ANY suspension component that actually breaks (Hubs, Springs, Shackles, attaching bolts) that could result in a loss of control could be judged a safety item and as such should be reported to NHTSA using their web-site. Doesn't make any difference who made the part. The VIN is used to trace the mfg of the part or the selection of the sub-assy. If there were sufficient number or if the seriousness of the failure was considered critical a recall could be ordered by NHTSA with FREE replacement required.
We have seen things such as wheels and hitched being recalled.

BUT we the RV owners have to care enough to bother to file a complaint, otherwise we don't have much standing to complain about the quality and durability of our stuff.

Be sure to get a few pictures of the broken components as NHTSA might ask for them.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:37 AM   #62

Fleetwood Owners Club
Broken Axles

I wrote a JOKE about “Faux axles” in post 12....

I explained it was a JOKE in post 14.....

Some of you are not reading the complete thread and still going on with this like it’s some kind of truth.... please stop.... I made it up because there was early talk of the OP never coming back! (Posts 8, 9 and 10)

Did you also know I suggested to go to Walmart for new “quality” axle installation? (JOKE post #12)

I also suggested to buy and install used tires instead of new on trailers to save money. (Also a JOKE #12)

I know some of you have posted above and played along and understood it was a joke... but obviously others haven’t.

You ever hear the saying “don’t believe everything you read on the internet....”.

This is one of those times.
We RV'd ALL of the lower 48 states and into Canada
AZ RV'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:15 AM   #63

I didn't think it was much of a joke at first.....just rolled my eyes. But I have to say, this intentional "faux pas" just keeps getting funnier and funnier.
mb36912 is offline   Reply With Quote