Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2021, 04:45 PM   #1

Build Quality Confusion

I'm soooo confused....I'm looking to pick up a 5th wheel (previous pop up guy). Browsing articles I've found the BEST 5th wheels are Coachmen Chaparral, Keystone Cougar, Jayco Eagle, etc.....the WORST 5th wheels are the Coachmen Chaparral, Keystone Cougar , Jayco Eagle,etc..... are all these articles written by competing sales reps?
I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes over brand loyalty, but the internet is FULL of contradicting info.
I'm limited to around 11,000 gross / 3,000 payload by my 1/2 ton truck and I'm leaning toward a Reflection series 150 or Durango Half ton. They seem to have a good reputation and fill most of my "wants" (but they lack a 30 X 48 shower that I'd prefer (found in the Cougars)).
I'd love input on smaller 5th wheel build quality because I'm getting really tired of staring at this screen (research).
Thanks
pak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2021, 05:12 PM   #2

We have a Durango 1500 series which they now call the half ton, so far we are satisfied with the build quality, longevity, etc. we have pulled it to Alaska, door Co WI, Texas, Colorado numerous times and lots of of short (200 mi) trips. We have upgraded suspension and tires. I think its GVWR is 10,500 , I would NEVER consider pulling it with a half ton pickup. sure, it would pull it, but not safely. loaded for camping i've scaled it at 1875 pin weight and 9875 total weight. and that is borderline for my 3/4 ton pickup
Old 03-09-2021, 05:31 AM   #3

RV Trip Wizard
Grand Design Owners Club
Some of the issue in conflicting information comes from how a person uses and maintains there Travel Trailer, it’s not all on the manufacturer. On the other hand. You may find a brand of RV’s that very little damaging information can be said about it for many years and people that buy them love them. Fast forward 10 years and they get bought out, how the TT is manufactured and its components change, now nothing good can be said about that same brand.
As for the 1500 Durango and 150 Grand Design, IMHO these units are best matched with a 3/4 ton as on paper everything says it is 1/2 towable and there are many factors which are not calculated into that formula.
The biggest one is the frontal displacement of that fiver sticking up over the cab of the truck and your truck is going to be working at or above its limits to make whole in the wind. The 1/2 ton can be beefed up $$$$’’, at the end of the day it’s still a 1/2 ton frame.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:14 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would not go anywhere near the maximum tow rating for a 1/2 ton truck. You will be better off stepping up to a 3/4 ton truck.

As for the trailer quality, all that you have mentioned are either Thor or Forest River and all are pretty much the same in poor quality control. Grand Design (owned by Winnebago) and Artic Fox are better built units.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:15 AM   #5

You have to wade through the complaints and see if they are manufacture build problems or problems with the supplies the manufacture builds with.
If a TT or 5er has a blowout you can't blame the manufacture, If a cabinet door is installed crooked then you can blame the manufacture.

And yes it's a total carp shoot when buying.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:41 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
You have to wade through the complaints and see if they are manufacture build problems or problems with the supplies the manufacture builds with.
If a TT or 5er has a blowout you can't blame the manufacture, If a cabinet door is installed crooked then you can blame the manufacture.

And yes it's a total carp shoot when buying.
It's been a while since I've shot me some carp.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:53 PM   #7

My suggestion is you go to wherever the coaches are built and do a factory tour. Oops, you can't do that any more, at least for a while. You will find differing opinions on every type and kind of coach there is. Just remember that folks that are happy tend to be enjoying their coaches and folks that are unhappy tend to scream at the top of their lungs. Something else to think about is the dealer folks are doing business with. Some are good, some are not so good, and some are absolutely terrible. I agree it's kind of a crap shoot but for about $1,000 you can hire a professional inspector and have the coach looked at for problems. When they are found (notice I didn't say if) make it part of the deal that they are fixed before you accept delivery of the coach. If the dealer won't allow it spend your money elsewhere. Just remember, coaches are not cars, there are more cars made in a day than most coach manufacturers make in a year. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:01 PM   #8

Load your truck up 'camp ready' (you/fuel/passengers/stuff in cab/stuff in bed etc)
Go to CAT Scales and get weighed

Difference between RAWR (on White Sticker/door--door jamb) and Actual weight on rear axle camp ready is amount of weight you can add...WET Pin weight of 5th wheel

Using 20% (low end) of 5th wheel GVWR will give you an idea that that 1/2 ton truck is better suited for Travel Trailers vs 5th wheels

And don't forget the 5th wheel hitch weight has to be included in that rear axle weight
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:53 AM   #9

Thank you all for the responses....it was the type of advice I was looking for.
Now I have to figure out to either keep my F150 and go with a travel trailer and wait until closer to retirement to blow the big bucks for heavier truck & 5th wheel or bite the bullet and do it now......
they do draw the lottery 4 days a week.
Old 03-14-2021, 06:55 AM   #10

Something to consider when searching out trailers. Many have their half-ton models which leads many people to believe that they can be hooked up to a typical 150/1500 or equivalent truck and happily go their way. First how does a trailer become a "half-ton" towable? By making it light!!! That means lighter frame and suspension components, lighter, (think flimsy) interior parts, smaller tanks, etc. UNDERBUILT is the way I look at it. Second the 150/1500 that can tow those trailers is a special build that rarely sits on a dealer's lot. Shop carefully and intelligently, not emotionally.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 07:07 AM   #11

in mid-size 5th one of your best choices is Artic fox.
Old 03-14-2021, 11:22 AM   #12

All good advice above!

I expect the ratings for travel trailers are similar to Amazon ratings for other consumer products. There are usually people who have had bad experiences. Sometimes it is people's expectations. Sometimes it is miss use. But most of the time it is people detailing their own bad experiences.

From my experience and frequent reports from others, I recommend you add Dutchmen Kodiak, Keystone, and Voltage travel trailers to the keep away list. That does not mean you can't have a good experience with them, it just means odds of a good experience are poor.

My Dutchmen Kodiak Cub took three years to reach the condition I expected when I bought it. My expectations relied on company advertising. The company warranty sounded good, but was basically useless. The company is the problem and this group is all managed by the same company.

Any brand can make a bad one. Some brands make many bad ones. I am especially uncomfortable with a brand who builds "on-the-run". Factory tours can reveal this. So can YouTube videos.

Also, higher quality costs more. Total cost of ownership can be higher for cheap travel trailers than for better built more expensive travel trailers.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 09:56 PM   #13

Well, I still haven't hit the lottery so I'm looking into a travel trailer. I'll move over to the travel trailer forum. Thanks for the great responses.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:05 AM   #14

I don't agree with Grand Design being good quality. We own a 2018 Model 375RES Solitude. Bought from original owner less than a year old. Have replaced main HVAC; microwave/convection oven; caulked every basement door due to poor installation and water intrusion....but not before my basement floor where water controls, furnace and water heater had to be totally replaced; plumbing under kitchen sink installed incorrectly and had to replace it all; black tank and grey tank cable assemblies installed incorrectly based on manufacturer specs....replaced black tank cable; and on and on and on. GD has been of zero help when trying to get part #'s....we aren't the original buyer.

After the pandemic is really under control and no longer politicized and vaccines have been found effective and not harmful, we're going to buy a VanLeigh, Arctic Fox or Alliance. I did the VanLeigh factory tour prior to the pandemic shut downs las year in their Burnsville MS facility. Very impressive. I have since spoken to the factory contacts I made and am confident Thor won't harm their process with their new Ownership.
tigerGUY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality