Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2020, 11:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2rv View Post
My viewpoint is slightly different. There are definite advantages to both new and used. I think you've pretty well nailed the advantages of used.

I think the choice comes down to the buyer's confidence and knowledge.
  • Are you comfortable doing the legwork to ensure that your hitch is installed properly and matched to the trailer correctly?
  • Are you comfortable inspecting a used RV?
    • Would you recognize the subtle signs of roof leaks and de lamination?
    • Are you familiar enough with all of the systems to verify each appliance is working as designed?
    • Will you have the opportunity to test each system?
      • I've posted before about my experiences with a child's wallet, a black tank that wouldn't drain properly, and a day I NEVER want to repeat.
    • Are you comfortable inspecting the mechanical aspects of the trailer?
      • Brakes
      • Axles
      • Wheel bearings
ALL RVs will have issues at some point. Buying new, from the right dealer, has some advantages. They should have a trained and knowledgeable technician to install and/or verify your hitch configuration. They should address any problems found during the warranty period.

Buying used, if you are already knowledgeable, can save you lots of money. If you aren't comfortable with self inspection, I would make any used purchase from a dealer or an individual contingent on a thorough inspection by an independent 3rd party. I'd start as soon as possible trying to identify that independent 3rd party, perhaps an independent RV repair shop that's not part of a dealership.
Very good points made in this answer.

Another point to make is buying a new "leftover" can result in a lower price and if you plan to keep the rig for more than five years, it helps with the depreciation...possibly.

And sometimes, it's about finding the rig you want and availability. As an example, when we bought our 2014 Winnebago Minnie travel trailer, there were hardly any used units available, so we opted to buy new.

And.....it depends on personal finances. When we decided to get a class A motorhome, we did not want to be in debt to the amount a new purchase would require. But for many, buying new is not a problem with their budget, and many like to have a new rig....I've enjoyed the ones we've purchased!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2020, 11:59 AM   #16
JDT

Just my opinion but used vs new is less important than finding the right floor plan. If you don't like it after you buy it, it won't matter if your the first owner or the tenth.

We are not full timers but we do one or two 4 or 5 week trips each year. We've had 6 fifth wheels thru the years and this is a few of the things we look for:

1. Decent quality build, sometimes a crap shoot.
2. Decent payload capacity, probably a minimum of 2.5k, probably more for full time.
3. Dependable tires.
4. Disc brakes, we failed on the Pinnacle but will probably do a conversion at some point.
5. Good kitchen storage for 2 or 3 weeks worth of food, a pantry is nice.
6. Convection microwave.
7. Decent oven and cook top, some units now are coming with a residential style range. Ours is an Insignia in the new Pinnacle.
8. Residential fridge, at least 18cf. We never dry camp so a residential is our preference.
9. Decent sized shower with some head room.
10. Bath room storage for towels, shampoos and cleaning supplies.
11. As large a closet as possible to meet the wife's needs. Lots of hanging space.
12. Washer/dryer, which can be added.

Good luck finding what you want/need.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:52 PM   #17

This is all great insight. I think a few people mentioned confidence, and that might be the thing that pushes me towards new. I'm handy around a house, but never having lived in an RV makes me think that I'm missing a lot of skills and knowledge that would help me avoid some major mistakes and headaches. I do like the idea of an older new model, I've seen a new 2019 that I really like and it's definitely a lot cheaper. I also think there are a few features that I really want, and it might be harder to find those in a used model (double pane windows, extra insulation, etc.)

To the person who mentioned toy hauler, I think that's the direction I'm leaning actually. I LOVE the floor plan of the Grand Design Momentum 397TH. It really seems spacious enough for my mom and I to live comfortably, and it gives her a bathroom of her own. We are going to check some out this weekend. If we love the floor plan as much as we think we will, that's when I'll start looking into the specific details and specs to see if I can find a used one that's got what we need.

While we haven't been aggressively looking for that long, we have been to a lot of RV shows over the past ten years which is when I started considering this lifestyle. So I'm hoping that will give me a broad enough perspective to pick something that works for at least the next 2-3 years.

Even if we buy and have to sell 2 years from now, as long as we don't lose over $72K on the process, we'll come out ahead of our current living situation which just feels like giving a stranger a whole heck of a lot of money every month.
jillhope7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks2 View Post
Definitely used. No question. Why? You may or many not get exactly what you want when you buy new. Because if this is your first rig, you don't know what you want.
Exactly right. We bought a 15 year old Sunnybrook for $5000 and figured out what we did and didn’t like. Then we made our investment in a nice, 3 year old trailer.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:44 PM   #19

Lots of great advice provided in these replies, and you've already got a good start on the pros/cons of each. I've bought 2 5ers. Both times I set out to buy used, but both times a new one seemed to follow me home, and both times it was the right choice. If I were looking again, I would still consider used and start there.

Once you decide on which floorplans you like, I believe if time and patience are on your side, you can find the "right" used trailer, and if so, you will know it when you do. Just check it out thoroughly; might even be good to pay an RV inspector to check it out if you're not comfortable on your own.

Recommend to frequently remind yourself of the following during the search...
1. You can always abandon the used search at any time and find a new one pretty quickly, but hard to go the other way.
2. Avoid the sales pitch, and don't put much value on buying new b/c of a warranty. Aside from covering an expensive major issue (like an AC/heatpump failure,) a warranty typically means nothing but frustration dealing with wait time for diagnosis, parts, and service when you could have paid a good local RV tech, maybe even mobile to fix much quicker at a reasonable cost if it's something you can't do yourself.
3. New units depreciate about as fast as milk spoils, so make sure that your sure it's the one you want to keep before buying new.

Happy Hunting,
RVnAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 06:22 AM   #20

I'm a buy used type but look for obsessive compulsive owners that keep maintenance records they will share.
If you are really concerned about the risk of a used RV why not get a warranty for a year to protect against a major surprise? I'm sure it would still end up lower than an older left over new.
My guess is that if a unit doesnt sell it's because it is a less desirable unit and will be less in demand when you decide to sell.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 06:36 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig36 View Post
When you buy new, you lose 35% the day you tow it off the dealers lot. If you financed it, you will additionally be a victim of the law of 78's and will be upside down if you decide you want to sell it.

When you buy a good used unit, you have options: If you want to upgrade to another unit you like better in a year or so, you can likely resell without much of a loss. Additionally, with the money you save up front, you can buy a nicer unit.

Unless you have money to burn, this is numero uno, IMHO. When those of us here advocate 'used', the proviso is that you learn as much as you can first through the forums and dealers' lots and have someone knowledgeable inspect it (or hire someone), before you sign on the dotted line. Good luck on your search.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 06:40 AM   #22

Dual or double pane windows extra insulation are the haulmarks of most of the older rigs. Remember that stuff gets heavy in a hurry. Hope you buy plenty of truck to haul the beast. youll need it full time.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:32 AM   #23

I've bought my last two trailers new and have no regrets at all. First of all, one of the biggest falsehoods circulating the net is this idea that when you buy used you let someone else, "work out the kinks." I'd say there is an equal or greater chance that someone gets sick of their lemon after a couple years and sells it. If you follow these message boards much you'll often read of this exact thing.

The key to not losing your butt is buying at the right price. A good deal is somewhere around 70% of MSRP. A great deal is down in the 60s. I've found great deals on both of mine. It can be hard though if you want a specific model and that dealer isn't willing to play ball. Buying during slow times of year can really help. For me here in Oregon that's winter. RV dealers are pretty hungry on a rainy day in November.

As for the big dirty "D" word (depreciation). I've found many RVs will sell quickly at +/- 50% of MSRP somewhere around 3-4 years old. Of course, it must be in clean/great condition. One of my biggest problems with buying used is condition. I don't know how people do so much damage in such a short amount of time but when shopping it is super common to find a 3 year old RV that smells like dirty gym socks and 7 wet dogs.

Anyway, I don't rule out used but new has worked out for me well.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 03:27 PM   #24

Used but have inspected New is awful !
Massanutten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 03:50 PM   #25

I am a little confused that if you lose $72K over two years you say that is a wash with the living expenses you have now. That amounts to $3K per month. Are you adding the monthly expenses for the RV ? There are a lot of expenses beside the cost of the RV and truck. ( a dependable truck for a 39' 5th wheel won't come cheap by the way. you are in drw territory ) Things like Fuel, insurance, truck maint. , campground rent, etc.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:29 PM   #26

If you buy used in order to get better quality then you have to go older than just a few years. Think pre-2008. The build quality in the last decade is deplorable and it becomes luck to get a good one. As I said in another post, with RVs, be rich or be handy. New or used. That said if you are looking for specific features such as dual pane windows, full body paint, you may not find that used. Otherwise I had had no qualms buying used in the past.

My current Raptor I ordered so I could get those above mentioned features plus a few others not found on dealer lots.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:59 AM   #27

Another used buyer here. Do the research. Lots & lots of research. Separate the needs from the wants

Do that & you will be down to a very short list of builders & models in no time.

We had extended travel in mind so a reputable builder, a large water capacity for dry camping & a functioning galley were top priorities. A lack of water capacity eliminated many builders right off the bat. If it did not have a minimum of 75 gal fw it was eliminated.

There is nothing wrong with an older well maintained top end builder, even if that builder no longer exists. Fancy new gook does not impress. Leveling the old fashioned way is not hard.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 02:50 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy-c View Post
I am a little confused that if you lose $72K over two years you say that is a wash with the living expenses you have now. That amounts to $3K per month. Are you adding the monthly expenses for the RV ? There are a lot of expenses beside the cost of the RV and truck. ( a dependable truck for a 39' 5th wheel won't come cheap by the way. you are in drw territory ) Things like Fuel, insurance, truck maint. , campground rent, etc.
That's only with our rent. Our other household expenses are so high (power and water here in Portland for a big house are very expensive), and we will be getting rid of one car payment + insurance and trading it for a TV car payment + insurance. After running the numbers and looking at a lot of full-timer rv budgets online we feel like we have a pretty good idea of costs. And that's only worst case scenario, if we decide to sell within the first 2 years.
jillhope7 is offline   Reply With Quote