RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2020, 01:58 PM   #15

12k-14k on gvw. Watch the rear axle weight. based on 20% your pin weights will be 2400-2800. still.some.margin there. if you find a rig where the axles are closer to mid ship on the 5th wheel it will lessen hitch weight. the further back the more hitch weight.

Hitch simple answer a trailer saver ts3 or equivilant puck hitch bd5 i think. buy one and be done for rest of the rv years. forget solid mount or gooseneck. buy it and never look back. protect your investment.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2020, 02:11 PM   #16

Something else to consider is if the trailer weights are accurate. I'd keep the weight to 10K. With a 12K trailer @ 20% pin weight you have almost no rear axle reserve. An inaccurate label will eliminate any reserve.
mjdenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 05:17 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st-tt2018 View Post
I am getting in deep now....DW wants to move to a 5th wheel and we are researching. My main concern is having a safe, good towing rig moving forward.

Constraints:
Must use current truck. No budget or desire for a new one.
-2019 ram 2500 tradesman crew cab short bed.
-Gawr rear 6390
-base axle weight rear 2795

3595 left on rear axle
3213 cargo capacity
14410 total allowable trailer tow weight

Needs:
Hitch and hitch mount options. Puck vs rail. I still use the bed at times when not towing...but not all the time.
Suggestions for hitch?

Knowing the above, what would you say the max gvwr area I should be looking at for a 5th wheel? We do not want a toy hauler. There will be some long highway towing happening, just for planning sake.

Please ask clarifying questions....I know there must be more needed, I just don't know what that is.
It looks like you have the TV you need to pull anything in the 10-12 GVW with ease. There are many manufacturers on the market building fifth wheels geared toward the Half Ton truck and yes some of them can pull it but it would be a struggle depending on where you will use it. IMO these half ton towable units make a good mach up for the three quarter ton market.
I think sometimes when people with good intentions tend to over load the OP with TMI. Of course get the unit weighed before and after you load it. Weight is everything how much stuff do really need to take along?
As for the puck system, Iím sold on the ease of use. Ive used many styles of fifth wheel setups and in many ways the puck system has proven itself.
When searching for YOUR fifth wheel remember Luxury means weight only can decide your needs.
Take look at the Andersen Ultimate Hitch designed for use with the puck system and as stated earlier Grand Design Reflection 150 series produces a fine product.
Skilletface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:09 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The biggest limiting factor on the 2500 is the payload capacity and GAWR for the rear axle. You will reach these limits well before you reach you maximum towing capacity. Pin weight of a typical loaded 5er will run around 20% of the trailer GVWR. We are about 22% on our 5er.

DO NOT use the brochure dry weight for the trailer or the pin weight. These dry weights do not include options such as air conditioners, batteries, microwave, awning, full propane tanks, etc.

I have notice several manufacturers are not providing a GVWR in their brochures. They will list a dry weight and a cargo capacity. Add these two numbers together for the GVWR on that trailer. If should closely match the GVWR sticker on the trailer.

Have fun shopping.

Ken
Old 08-08-2020, 05:46 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st-tt2018 View Post
Everything listed is for my individual truck, not a brochure.
That's the right way to do it. Good on you.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:00 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
For some reason, I seem to recall many frame issues on 5ers coming from the conversion to goosebox. Does anyone know the impacted rigs? I seem to recall the torque from it breaking welds on the upper level of trailers. Anyone know?
Quote:
Originally Posted by artman1913 View Post
Odds are you are going to be over GVWR before anything else
Upgrade your tires next tine you need em ( 3500 per tire is the upper end of E )

hitches .... a lot of options

I have the pullright superglide only one of two that is a auto sliding hitch
Do you need a sliding hitch with a shortbed ? depends on you and can you watch and make sure the trailer doesn't hit the cab.
A lot of people love the AUH but some have problems with the pinbox hitting the tail gate
Don't go with rails mounted in the bed you can get adapters that drop in the puck holes that gives you rails

If I had to over again I would look at a goosebox
Old 08-11-2020, 11:50 PM   #21

Most accurate method to figure pin weight without a scale.

Each unit is different even within the same brands. The location of the axles front to back can make a huge difference. Go to the manufactures web site take the stated pin weight and divide it by the dry weight. You will come up with a percentage. Add the cargo weight (what you plan on placing in the unit) to the dry weight and multiply by the percentage. That going to give you an estimate of your pin weight when loaded. Look at different units you will see that this percentage changes with every unit. I have seen it as low as 15% and as high as 21%. Most units except the high end units go between 16% and 19%. There are other variables like where the cargo is loaded in the unit but you can only determine that with a scale.
EX: Pin Weight 2100# Dry Weight 10500# 2100/10500= 20%
Pin Weight 2100# Dry Weight 12500# 2100/12500= 16.8%
Even though the second unit is much heavier the pin weight is much less as a percentage of the dry weight. When you add cargo weight you are going to add it at the 16.8% allowing you to handle a much larger unit. After all it is the cargo capacity that makes the difference. Hope this helps.
Lester Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 06:12 AM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester Adams View Post
Each unit is different even within the same brands. The location of the axles front to back can make a huge difference. Go to the manufactures web site take the stated pin weight and divide it by the dry weight. You will come up with a percentage. Add the cargo weight (what you plan on placing in the unit) to the dry weight and multiply by the percentage. That going to give you an estimate of your pin weight when loaded. Look at different units you will see that this percentage changes with every unit. I have seen it as low as 15% and as high as 21%. Most units except the high end units go between 16% and 19%. There are other variables like where the cargo is loaded in the unit but you can only determine that with a scale.
EX: Pin Weight 2100# Dry Weight 10500# 2100/10500= 20%
Pin Weight 2100# Dry Weight 12500# 2100/12500= 16.8%
Even though the second unit is much heavier the pin weight is much less as a percentage of the dry weight. When you add cargo weight you are going to add it at the 16.8% allowing you to handle a much larger unit. After all it is the cargo capacity that makes the difference. Hope this helps.
Thank you, never realized this little tidbit.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:15 AM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Thank you everyone (can't do the "you have been thanked through the app) but I apprexiate everyone's input. It has reinforced what i originally thought about the max weights I would consider. Thank you again.

Tags
weight