Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2016, 06:08 AM   #1

Canopy over the slide out

Recently inherited an Alumacraft 5th wheel. This is my first experience with a slide out. We're experiencing heavy rain due to a tropical depression and the slide is out. I don't see any water coming in around it, but I've noticed most slide outs have a canopy/awning over them. This one doesn't. Am I missing something? Is this unit supposed to have one?
TheOldMan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2016, 06:15 AM   #2

You can add slide toppers.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:18 AM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan76 View Post
Recently inherited an Alumacraft 5th wheel. This is my first experience with a slide out. We're experiencing heavy rain due to a tropical depression and the slide is out. I don't see any water coming in around it, but I've noticed most slide outs have a canopy/awning over them. This one doesn't. Am I missing something? Is this unit supposed to have one?
You can add a slide topper anytime. They do help keep rain off the slide but mostly help keep leaves and other debris off the slide while you are camped so you do not have to sweep the top of the slide before closing it.
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:55 AM   #4

You do not need a slide out topper to keep the inside dry- it should not leak. There are those that love slide out toppers and those that do not. We are in the do not category. They flap in the wind and I really do not want to pull in my slides so the flapping does not drive me to distraction when sleeping. And yes, people come up with all sorts of gimmicks to keep the slides from flapping but they have to be stored somewhere.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:55 AM   #5

Thank
TheOldMan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:56 AM   #6

I've had both. If I could not keep the slide room cool I would add them. Other than that they have caused me more problems than benefits. I don't have them now and have no intentions of adding them. Make sure your slide seals are in good condition and that they are turned properly. If mine wad up when extended I use the awning rod to straighten them. I also use 303 Protectant to keep them from sun rot. When I did have them I used a leaf blower prior to leaving because stuff will still get on top of the rooms. Good luck and don't be in a hurry to change anything.

2012 NuWay HitchHiker 363RSBDA, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually 6.7
Old 08-31-2016, 09:15 AM   #7

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
If you're not using it during the depression/storm, I'd run the slide(s) in just to keep it a little tighter. The less exposed area during driving rain and wind, the better.

Tags
slide, slide out