Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2017, 06:24 PM   #1

Can't decide 2 or 4 wheel drive truck

I can't decide on ordering a 2 or 4 wheel drive truck to pull a 34' 5er. I have read many posts both fore and against 2 wheel drive. We have had a 38' MH for 7 years the last 5 years full timing. It is a gas MH and we have never had a time where we needed 4 wheel drive and we have been in some sketchy places. I figure it has a combined weight of 36,000 lbs and a truck and a 5er will be about 10,000 lbs less. If we have had no problems with the MH why would I need a 4 wheel drive truck?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2017, 06:33 PM   #2

This is really a question only you an answer. All the opinions in the world don't matter at all when you're stuck in the mud somewhere. I live up in the Pacific Northwest where we get enough snow that it's an absolute no-brainer for me.

I'm kind of into overdoing things so I'm pretty sure I'd opt for the 4WD anyway. Luckily I don't have to even think about it.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:38 PM   #3

Most people never "need" a 4 wheel drive, but they sure provide a bit of extra security in a few situations. I've never wished for a 2wd, there have been plenty of times I've wished for 4 though.
Matfam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:47 PM   #4

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
I can't imagine owning a nice powerful diesel truck and not having 4 wheel drive. I have had 3 4wdpick-ups and while I have RARELY used the 4wd, I have needed to on an occasion or 2 with each truck. Every time has been with the fiver attached. I have also had to use my 4wd truck (srw at the time) to pull out a 2wd drw truck with a fiver attached that had gotten bogged down in the sand.
MPG is maybe 1mpg less with a 4wd and of course it cost more. But I sure do like the security of it in the event.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mody n Domy View Post
I can't decide on ordering a 2 or 4 wheel drive truck to pull a 34' 5er. I have read many posts both fore and against 2 wheel drive. We have had a 38' MH for 7 years the last 5 years full timing. It is a gas MH and we have never had a time where we needed 4 wheel drive and we have been in some sketchy places. I figure it has a combined weight of 36,000 lbs and a truck and a 5er will be about 10,000 lbs less. If we have had no problems with the MH why would I need a 4 wheel drive truck?
Hi Mody n Domy, Well, mtofell is correct, only you can answer the question, but I figure you want an opinion, so here is mine.

I pull a 39ft 5er with a F350 4x4, and a F250 4x4 before that. Actually pulling the RV is typically not the problem, it is backing it up. "Sometimes" there is an incline with wet ground, etc. and the rears want to spin when trying to back up the incline. When they do spin they tend to slide to the left or right getting you out of alignment with the rig. So, I flip it into 4x4 and it backs up nice a smoothly without hurting the ground anymore by spinning on it, etc. and I can stay in alignment with the rig.

Keep in mind your MH has a lot more weight coming down on the drive wheels than my F350 has coming down on its rear wheels, so when "pushing" the RV in reverse the traction is not as great, the CG (center of gravity) is shifting to the front of the truck and lightening the weight on the rear tires, and thus may spin IF you're on an incline and/or wet road/ground.

Hope this helps.
CMelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:04 PM   #6

If you stay on pavement with no ice and snow or hills with gravel scattered about, a two wheel drive is great. Who knows, one day I may own a two wheel drive truck. Its just hard for me to think about a two wheel drive truck without feel like a puzzy.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvstringpicker View Post
If you stay on pavement with no ice and snow or hills with gravel scattered about, a two wheel drive is great. Who knows, one day I may own a two wheel drive truck. Its just hard for me to think about a two wheel drive truck without feel like a puzzy.
Lol, that's funny right there, it's true, but it's also funny!
CMelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:38 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've used 4x4 trucks most of life. I would not even consider a 2x4 as TV for 5th unless I only operated on flat paved roads. In the west, the 4x4 options can save your rear end. But that's just my opinion.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:26 PM   #9

It's a no-brainer in the north, but I've had a couple of times when in a little mud at a soccer field, the rear tires on our F350 want to spin. Probably put in liw it would walk right out too, but a quick flip to 4WD and no spinning at all. Worth the extra money to me.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:52 AM   #10

I also am a 4x4 person, but I do live in the PNW.

If you are in a SRW truck I think I would be less concerned then in a DRW truck. I have never owned a set of chains for a SRW truck, ever. The first snow we had I ended up needing and buying chains for my DRW. While I don't use them very often, I wont travel without them.

The other advantage of the 4x4 is the low range. There have been a few times where being able to shift into 4x4 low to make moving the trailer in awkward spots much easier.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:14 AM   #11

Just for experience sake, I've had to rescue 2 people while camping. 1 was a 2wd van, bald tires on a muddy site. The other was a 2wd pickup and 5ver trying to back into site. Both times my 4x4 trucks had no issue getting the issues resolved.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:30 AM   #12

Carolina Campers
Is there an argument against four wheel drive other than cost?

It is a no brainer, if the budget allows, go 4x4.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:44 AM   #13

The down side to having 4wd is the cost, extra weight and reduced fuel economy - only 1-2 mpg less if that.

The up side is better resale value, safer travel through any slippery travel condition and if you get stuck, you should be able to get yourself out, so no tow bills.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:10 AM   #14
JDT

I had never owned a 4 wheel drive anything until the truck I have now. I have used it a few times so it has been nice to have. If you plan on keeping it for the long haul then get what suits your needs. If you plan to trade or sell it to update every few years or so then get the 4wd. I took a pretty good hit on my last 3500 diesel because it was a 2wd. The book value was $4k less than a comparable 4wd, more than the cost of the 4wd system, and dealers were not even that kind when I tried to trade it. I finally found a guy who didn't care and came out okay but I will not do that again. I trade about every 5 years.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote