Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2017, 08:49 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Cargo rack back of 5th wheel

I want to carry a generator (probably 6000 watt at 200 lbs.) and 2 adult bicycles on the back of my 5th wheel in the signature below.

I AM NOT GOING TO ATTACH IT TO THE FACTORY BUMPER! OK, that should calm everybody down...lol.

I'm having a trailer shop design and weld a hitch to the frame that will not even touch the bumper. Like a HD hitch on my F250...sort of. They have done this many times on 5th wheels so they are not trying to figure it out on mine.

What I need is photos of racks mounted. I haven't found one wide enough to put a gen. like a Champion and two bikes. I may have to have them make one...?

Thanks
Batten54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2017, 11:00 AM   #2

I'm somewhat looking for the same information. I've seen pictures and descriptions of cargo carriers that fit the standard 2" receiver that allow bike racks to be installed on the rear of the carrier but I don't know if they work as described.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:13 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
You should be fine with around the 250 pounds, but be careful you don't go much higher. A friend of ours built a rack to carry his quad on. Built it nice and strong, welded to the frame, not bumper, but after a couple of trips from Canada to Southern Az., the frame broke just ahead of the welded on brackets!
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:38 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
You should be fine with around the 250 pounds, but be careful you don't go much higher. A friend of ours built a rack to carry his quad on. Built it nice and strong, welded to the frame, not bumper, but after a couple of trips from Canada to Southern Az., the frame broke just ahead of the welded on brackets!
WOW! Wonder how heavy the quad was?

The Keystone rep for the Sprinter line said 500# was fine. He did advise me to have a hitch welded to the frame...not just bolted.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:02 PM   #5

JMHO: Having used a cargo rack , mounted by a single center mounted 2" bar, I wouldn't do it again . If necessary I'd use 2 ; 2" receivers , one under each frame rail and fabricate the cargo rack the same way.
The single center mount of the cargo rack , allows the rack to rock side to side ; WITH EVERY BUMP IN THE ROAD ; eventually , the rack will start to flex tearing apart the welds , or more correctly the metal next to the welds , and if not noticed the rack and contents can drop on the road.
Have a look at the factory slide out racks that are an option on some 5ers, they appear to be built to last.
Also , any weigh added behind the rear bumper on a trailer , lowers your pin weight , any pin weigh reduction below 15 % of the total loaded weight on a 5er, will effect handling , in ways you'd rather not experience.
( Don't ask how I know this. )
Old 04-22-2017, 12:04 PM   #6

Northwood factory (Arctic Fox/Fox Mountain) can provide 2" brackets in the back of 5th wheels. I think they rate it for 350lbs tongue weight (vertical).

IMHO: Crawled under there and it is pretty solidly welded to the frame.
Northwood has big heavy frames... but I think you gotta be careful
with frames on some other trailers.
Twilightzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:11 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
JMHO: Having used a cargo rack , mounted by a single center mounted 2" bar, I wouldn't do it again . If necessary I'd use 2 ; 2" receivers , one under each frame rail and fabricate the cargo rack the same way.
The single center mount of the cargo rack , allows the rack to rock side to side ; WITH EVERY BUMP IN THE ROAD ; eventually , the rack will start to flex tearing apart the welds , or more correctly the metal next to the welds , and if not noticed the rack and contents can drop on the road.
Have a look at the factory slide out racks that are an option on some 5ers, they appear to be built to last.
Also , any weigh added behind the rear bumper on a trailer , lowers your pin weight , any pin weigh reduction below 15 % of the total loaded weight on a 5er, will effect handling , in ways you'd rather not experience.
( Don't ask how I know this. )
I may just do a bicycle rack this trip. But for a rack for generator, gas can, bikes, or combo of stuff the two point attachment is what I had in mind. I saw and took photos of one at NASCAR Texas Speedway last fall. He even had a dropdown ramp to roll his Gen. up on. I think that's the long term solution...similar to the factory racks.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:15 PM   #8

>"The single center mount of the cargo rack , allows the rack to rock side to side ; WITH EVERY BUMP IN THE ROAD..."

With a centered rack... gotta be careful to get a mount that prevents flexing in the rack. There are a number of them out there as '3rd party' stuff. Here's an example.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilightzone View Post
Northwood factory (Arctic Fox/Fox Mountain) can provide 2" brackets in the back of 5th wheels. I think they rate it for 350lbs tongue weight (vertical).

IMHO: Crawled under there and it is pretty solidly welded to the frame.
Northwood has big heavy frames... but I think you gotta be careful
with frames on some other trailers.
Twilightzone ; Welcome to iRV2
First post I see .
Old 04-22-2017, 12:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilightzone View Post
With a centered rack... gotta be careful to get a mount that prevents flexing in the rack. There are a number of them out there as '3rd party' stuff. Here's an example.
Well controlling the twist ( rocking ) at the attachment to the vehicle this support doesn't help , the under side of the cargo rack, it still flexes and can fail.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:10 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batten54 View Post
WOW! Wonder how heavy the quad was?

The Keystone rep for the Sprinter line said 500# was fine. He did advise me to have a hitch welded to the frame...not just bolted.
Probably around 7-800 pounds plus accessories and weight of the rack. Adds up in a hurry to close to 1000 pounds!
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 02:46 PM   #12

This rack does very well with our power assisted folding bikes, About 60# ea. (Travel cover removed) Carrier is about 70#
https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Cargo...ola/59502.html
We opted for the optional LED lighting that ties into the trailers 7 prong harness. By the letter of the law we should have the trailers tag displayed on the rack. There are mounting holes provided.
Most of the carriers I researched are in the neighborhood of 24"x 60"
I can envision your need for a generator & two bikes being a challenge.
Perhaps with a vertical strut welded off the main mount for the bikes inverted ?
Best of luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170401_125309[1].jpg
Views:	1759
Size:	475.0 KB
ID:	159181   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170401_125322[1].jpg
Views:	213
Size:	470.8 KB
ID:	159182  

J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 03:01 PM   #13

What kind of bikes are those, the look like they'd perform well in the sand.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:03 PM   #14

>"What kind of bikes are those, the look like they'd perform well in the sand."

Radmini Bikes.

Electric folding bikes... https://www.radpowerbikes.com/pages/radmini
Dunno if they would perform well in loose/dry sand though.

Caught my eye tho.

Tags
5th wheel