RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2020, 09:03 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stano View Post
Made in China, Carlisle tires are a blow out waiting to happen! May look good, but check for weather cracks on the inside no matter how old they are!

Stano
So you just don't like them because they are made in China or have you had problems with them

Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2020, 09:08 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol9044 View Post
What are the best tires to put on a 40 ft Fifth wheel? Any help is appreciated

You won't go wrong with the Goodyear Endurance.
Joel

J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:41 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
Look on the LH FWD external side of the trailer. You'll find the vehicle certification label there. The tire size and recommended cold inflation pressures for them will be on that label. That's your starting point because that's the minimum allowable load capacity for any replacements.
Yet another misleading quote!

The certification label on the side of your RV is simply a statement by the manufacturer of what was on the vehicle at first sale. Nothing more and nothing less.
Once the first sale is complete, it has no legal connotation.

Keith
kedanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedanie View Post
Yet another misleading quote!

The certification label on the side of your RV is simply a statement by the manufacturer of what was on the vehicle at first sale. Nothing more and nothing less.
Once the first sale is complete, it has no legal connotation.

Keith
I don't see any mention of "legal" in FastEagle's post. His info looks pretty solid to me. Basically, the ID tag lists what it left the factory with and is the minimum you should run. Feel free to upgrade from there. That's also pretty much what you say in your response. It all seems to be in agreement but I don't understand what you are calling, "misleading".
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:33 PM   #19

Quote:
I don't see any mention of "legal" in FastEagle's post. His info looks pretty solid to me. Basically, the ID tag lists what it left the factory with and is the minimum you should run. Feel free to upgrade from there. That's also pretty much what you say in your response. It all seems to be in agreement but I don't understand what you are calling, "misleading".
Were way off on another tangent here ....
I'm not answering for Keith but I was around years ago when FS started his crusade on going strictly by the tire placard even tho the trailer mfg choose a tire type/size/load range that had a severe history of tire delam issues/low service mileage/etc.

His postings such as this thread where he says...:
**That's your starting point because that's the minimum allowable load capacity for any replacements.**** is stated as the only way we or any one may choose a replacement tire.

He doesn't use the term legal now but did in the past ..... but to a newb reading that type opinion leaves that impression that the placard some how trumps all legal requirements or those chosen by the trailer owner...... or a tire dealer....or even a tire mfg that gives their recommendation for a different tire.
One of our tire engineer member some time back called his opinions on tire replacement as being legalistic in nature .
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:17 AM   #20

As you know I do a lot of researching before I put together a post. When they are too long the readers tend to lose interest and just read out of context. When I first started posting about trailer tires we were operating on the 2007 tire rules. Some of those changed with the 2010 rules.

Legal is an unpopular and misleading word to use in a lot of context because it gets taken literally. However, legal is proper when quoting manufacturer responsibilities. The rules binding on the manufacturer are passed on to the consumer in the form of industry standards. Failing to follow industry standards is almost always going to be considered a safety violation. Itís sort of like speeding. You pay-up when you get caught. Whoís going to catch a tire safety violation? Youíll find out if or when one is found during a safety inspection or during a vehicle inspection from involvement in an accident.

Consumers (owners of RVs) seldom understand the real purpose of the vehicle certification process or the power it gives the ruling bodies. Itís a sworn statement by the vehicle manufacturer that the vehicle meets all MINIMUM safety standards in effect at the time the vehicle is sold. No one in the industry has the right to lower those standards set with the certification label. They were sworn to comply with minimums.

Hereís my take on tires and I canít do this without going out of context because it involves too many references, so a straight forward statement is; Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) guide the vehicle manufacturer thru all of the minimal safety requirements they MUST provide.

With tires, there is a misconception that when the minimum standard says; tires must provide a load capacity equal to the vehicle certified axles load capacity; it is often misconstrued to mean, that it gives the owner license to do just that. Or when a tire described on the certification label is ST205/75R14 any 205/75R14 can be used as a replacement.

During the vehicle manufacturers final tire selection and fitment process the FMVSS directs them to use tires that are appropriate for that vehicle and set a cold inflation pressure that will set the lowest acceptable load capacity those tires MUST provide. Thus, a minimum standard is set for that vehicle. What has and is still abused is tire identification nomenclature. Iís called; designated size. ST235/85R16 is a designated size. LT235/85R16 is a designated size. They are not interchangeable.

Brands are a personal choice. Designated tires sizes have been standardized so any brand with an equal designated size will conform to a load inflation chart for that designated size.

Itís always important to remember that the vehicle manufacturer has the sole responsibility for setting the vehicleís minimum tire standard. Tire manufacturers are just that, tire manufacturers. They provide a product that conforms to vehicle manufacturer requirements.

I wonder what percentage of readers got this far?

FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires