Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2020, 01:02 PM   #1

Carrier AirV Conversion

Has anyone done this conversion? I just installed a 15K Coleman Mach in place of the old Carrier, as the old unit wasn’t keeping up. This unit isn’t doing any better. I have taped the divider plate on both sides with good foil duct tape. Outside temperature has remained around the same (85 degrees).

Anybody have any tips or tricks that have worked well?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2020, 05:24 PM   #2

I will be following this thread.
readog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:07 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Check the air temperature across the unit using a thermometer, not an infrared gun. You want the air temperature, not the surface temperature. Get the temperature readings at the inlet and the outlet closest to the unit. The outlet should be 18 to 20 degF lower than the inlet. Nothing to do with the outside temperature.

If the heat gain into the RV is greater than the capacity of the A/C unit(s), you will not lower the RV temperature. The temperature will go up.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Check the air temperature across the unit using a thermometer, not an infrared gun. You want the air temperature, not the surface temperature. Get the temperature readings at the inlet and the outlet closest to the unit. The outlet should be 18 to 20 degF lower than the inlet. Nothing to do with the outside temperature.

If the heat gain into the RV is greater than the capacity of the A/C unit(s), you will not lower the RV temperature. The temperature will go up.

Ken
Ditto, what he said!
Old 11-10-2020, 04:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
Has anyone done this conversion? I just installed a 15K Coleman Mach in place of the old Carrier, as the old unit wasn’t keeping up. This unit isn’t doing any better. I have taped the divider plate on both sides with good foil duct tape. Outside temperature has remained around the same (85 degrees).

Anybody have any tips or tricks that have worked well?
You didnt realy give us much of a idea what the coach is ? 40' motor home with a single 15K rood unit?

So here is a few suggestions,

If the AC unit keeps you cool at night with it 85* out you need to shade your walls and windows!

Leave your awning out and the shades pulled down inside.

Don't turn off the AC , leave it set to 68* and fan on high.

Clean your return air filters and make sure you have at a min 2 return air ducts that are 10 x5" for a 15K unit

A 15K AC unit needs at a min 5 or 6 (4"round ) registers for the air to come out of the ceiling ducts , check to make sure the registers don't go into the duct to far. Often the factory leaves them 1" into the duct.

There is a company that sell a screen product that goes on the outside of the windows to cut down how much sun get to the glass . You can still see threw it but it helps keep the glass much cooler. thermo pane windows with window tinted is really a good option if someone is having a camper built .

pick a site that has trees on the sunny side of your RV

You may need a 2nd AC unit. My buddie just went threw this with a 32' Jayco eagle HT bunk house. one 15K roof unit wasn't enough. Factory option was a 2nd 13.5K roof unit and 50A electrical service. We installed a high efficiency 13.5k non ducted AC in the bed room . This solved the cooling issue but its loud so he only runs it sun up to sun set and the 15K holds temps after the sun sets. The walls and windows in his camper are very warm to the touch in direct sun. Standard 15K AC unit draws about 14 amps and his high efficiency 13.5K unit is 9.5amps so his 30amp service cord is maxed out . He runs the frig on propane during the day along with the hot water heater. Bottom line is if the factory has a option for a 2nd or 3rd AC unit you really needed it. Hot areas like Texas, Arizona , Florida in the summer you need every bit of cooling the factory offered as options and you may never see the temps inside less then 75* on 100* days outside.

good luck , hope this helps!
Old 11-12-2020, 04:04 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Perhaps a question better asked in a motorcoach forum but suggest you dark tint the windows. I use 80 percent (blocks 80 percent of UV). Put a shade over the door window and your windshield I guess. Pull off your vents and seal around inside except for the duct of course. If that doesn't do it, if you have 50A service to your coach, add a 2nd A/C as it will never get cool with a single 15K btu unit. We have 30A in our little fifth wheel so I added a 14K btu portable and exhaust out the window. I run an extension cord to the power pedestal at a park (117V/15A/20A. We can stay in the mid 70s during triple digit days. Park in the shade if possible as well.
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, conversion