Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2017, 07:36 AM   #1

Cedar Creek - Poor, Poor Quality

Good day fellow 5th Wheel Owners,
A friend of mine sent me the following YouTube video on his brand new Cedar Creek. Forest River/Cedar Creek should either "get their act together - increase quality and inspections," or go out of business since they cannot build a quality product. Note - there are 3 videos on the perils of these owners with their Cedar Creek. They also mention Camping World - Stay, stay away and do not consider buying from this company. They are less than honsest.

Dutch Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2017, 08:01 AM   #2

So far what I see are things not built by FR, only assembled by them. Also these are all things that should have been cought at PDI, so I would be blaming dealer, not FR. So, the guy overloads and,thats FR fault? Sorry, what I see is a heavily overloaded rig that the owner thinks can be used like you would a home. RVs are just that, recreational vehicles, not homes. People choose to full time in these things they really need to accept responsability for the maintenance and repairs. Add the fact this is a 2016 and likely out of warrenty? Again, most of what I saw should have been cought at PDI or at the very least within the first six months and taken back to the dealer to sort out.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:12 AM   #3

Let me first say we too have a Cedar Creek and will never own another.

We too had a serious issues with our trailer shortly after taking delivery of it.

We too found that both FR and the selling dealer were unwilling to rectify the situation despite the fact it was proven to be a defect from FR. You are nothing but a mark on the board in the sold column.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:38 PM   #4

Problems after delivery and your selling dealer did not take care of you? Sounds all too familiar in the RV industry. Personally my Creek has never been back to the dealer for warranty repairs. As far as I am concerned FR has been great. Even after more than 10 years I can call them and have parts shipped to me. My guess neither of you have ever contacted FR CC division directly have you? Call them directly, explain your problems in a professional manner ans ask, not demand help. FR has over the years taken a lot of fivers back to the factory to correct problems out of warranty. Something you wont get from Thor and a lot of others.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:54 PM   #5

I on the other hand would not hesitate to buy another Cedar Creek model. We have had excellent service from both our selling dealer and the folks at Cedar Creek. We had a couple of small issues with our trailer in the first year of ownership and these were resolved to our satisfaction. We than attended the international rally held in Elkhart IN and had a couple of items that where found by the Cedar Creek technicians at the rally, that I didn't know was wrong.

I think there our several more satisfied owners of the Cedar Creek line than the few who are out in the forums complaining. Just go and review the Forest River Fourm and all of the owners who attend the rally that are held each year. At the rally we attended in 2015 that there were over 800+ owners of Forest River products who were happy with their units.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:36 PM   #6

All these stories prove is that sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. Doesn't matter what brand. Dealers are more definitive. Some are usually bad and some are usually good.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:38 PM   #7

I have been posting the last several months how a good dealer is as important, maybe more so than what brand you buy. Pick out the dealer first, then shop the brand. You can check on line with BBB. Ask on this board if anyone has purchased from so and so dealer. Another thing I have read both good and bad reviews about Camping World so I do think there is a bit of difference from dealer to dealer. This Rigs we buy are literally thrown together by a bunch of people for better words, more worried about getting home, tending to crops etc. than if their work meets quality standards. Then you have almost all of the components supplied by companies outsourcing to 3rd world countries where quality is not a priority. You will have issues. You will have things that don't work right and if you have a dealer not wanting to work thru the issues or can't rectify the problems because of inexperienced service people you will have what is being described. There wouldn't be a camper out there that most of us could afford if the assembly process was slowed down and Q'C'd constantly or if products being brought in from over seas were more rigidly checked for defects.
gnirwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:57 PM   #8

BBB is not reality in my opinion. However, there are several other sites such as yelp that can be helpful. I agree that the dealer will make or break your RV experience and is something to be taken seriously
Old 03-21-2017, 07:37 PM   #9

yes, your probably right about BBB. I am ready to enter my 1st full year of camping in my new 5th wheel (we purchased late last summer) and just pray to the camping God's that more things were built right than not. but I do have a great dealer...we shall see how things go. I am very sympathetic to those that have to go through what the O.P.'s friend is dealing with.
gnirwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:32 PM   #10

I don't mean to be brutal here but this guy needs to get as far away from that trailer as possible. If he is that frustrated with a few minor items that he should just fix himself then his entire period of ownership is gonna be frustrating. The only real problem I saw was the inverter. It failed because someone over filled the hydraulic tank. I'm pretty sure that if he reads through the mounds of documents he got he will find one that says to fill to the top or near the top WHEN EVERYTHING HYDRAULIC IS IN OR UP. Now if the dealer did it then the dealer should have replaced it and they did. The batteries should also have been covered but if you have a 50,000 dollar trailer and a 50,000 dollar truck and you can't afford to replace four batteries you might have priority issues. Anyway, that is a weekend at the lake trailer not a full time rig, like cardinal, montana and a lot of other trailers. Truth is there are only a couple full time 5ers being made now and they run north of 100.000 bucks. I would never pay that for a trailer but that is what they cost. And they also have problems. I've been on a bunch of these forum sites for a long time and one thing that is true is that everyone who buys a new trailer or even a motor home has a long list of stuff that doesn't work right and they have a hard time getting them fixed. My advice to the guy in the video is to stay away from trailers or boats, My other advice for everyone is to buy a used unit from someone who knows what they are doing. Let someone else deal with all the problems and take that first few years of free fall depreciation.
stanleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:32 AM   #11

stanleyz, well said. I read on a forum a long time ago that " You need to be either rich or handy" to own an RV. If you're rich then plan on possible long waits to get things fixed that, if you were handy could do on your own. It seems like the less handy or maybe the more picky are the biggest complainers. Of all 3 trailers I've owned only one needed warranty work. It was a simple 1 hr fix for a failed PEX fitting. The other two trailers never needed a trip back for work that I couldn't do myself. Simple QC type items.
RV's are not built like a house. Most everything is cheap. In a home you have better appliances, materials and construction. Most all the work gets inspected by a city inspector. Electricians are licensed. Workers are paid for the most part by the hr.
Expecting home style quality is never going to happen. RV's are probably the worst form of mass production as far as issues go. Nothing else we buy has that many problems. You can buy just about any auto and except for a glitch here and there everything works for many. many years. I think too many people expect RV's to be like everything else they buy. People say "it's a rolling earthquake going down the road". True but many have issues and have almost zero miles on them.
Lowering expectations is a must for happy RV ownership. should we be happy with the cheap out that the RV industry sells? No But knowing it won't change anytime soon will alleviate a lot of angst.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:12 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've gotta agree with many posters on here; this guy should not be living in an RV. Rather than adjust the striker plate so that the storage latch will work, he builds a plywood inner door? He thinks that the fridge outlet is powered from the inverter so that the fridge will work "when they have generator or hookups"? He continues to use the sewer valves even though they are stiffening up and failing, rather than climbing underneath to figure out how to reroute the cables so they don't bind? Obviously he doesn't own (or know how to use) a simple multimeter, which would have told him that the converter was overcharging the batteries. And just where is he currently set up that an RV tech has to order and overnight a PVC part? There's no hardware stores within driving distance? Wow...
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality