Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2017, 02:30 PM   #1

Cedar Creek Silverback versus Arctic Fox

Is a 291 ik Cedar Creek okay to full time in ? I notice those that are seem to have 36 plus. I know size does matter in RV's lol . I want to try to keep as small as possible for towing ease, getting in and out of parks etc. The one concern we have is the TV set up across the back. I would prefer along the side with the 2 swivel rockers facing it. Does any one have a 291 IK and does this work for them. Also it does have the ability to hook up washer dryer combo. We go round and round on this Bought a house spending less time that looking for a 5th wheel lol. We have been pointed in the Arctic Fox way and I must say I like the 28-5 Island Kitchen .What is your thoughts on the AF versus Cedar Creek Silverback. Thanks for your help and our heads are spinning. Don
balticblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2017, 06:33 PM   #2

I haven't really looked at the Cedar Creek, but I have looked at the Artic Fox a lot. The Artic Fox has a very well made frame with gussets at key points above the spring hangers. I like the power cord reel they have and most of their frames are deeper than the competition.

I have also been considering a Solitude by Grand Design. While I am perfectly happy with the Artic Fox, the DW likes the Solitude 300GK. This 5er is 35' bumper to hitch but appears to be very well made and is warrantied for full timing. It also has a 3 year structural warranty. The insulation is very good, but dual pane windows are an option where they are standard on the Artic Fox. I really like the Artic Fox 32-5M, but the 28-5C is a nice new floor plan. I just like the ability to have a separate recliner and couch to spread out.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:52 AM   #3

thanks nuffsaid, we also have looked at the Grand Design, but the Reflection 303 not the Solitude. Like the GD A lot. Dealer close to us carries the AF as well as the Cedar Silverback and the price is the same for the 291 IK and the AF 27.5. Not sure about the rear kitchen no island and no fireplace wife wants both. This is why the AF 28.5 appeals to us. Not too many negative comments re AF. We have looked at Jayco ht, Open Range, and Rockwood signature but concerns about full timing in these brands. Round and round we go. As mentioned less time to buy a $500,000 house than a $50,000 RV . Lol Don thanks for your input
Old 03-24-2017, 06:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by balticblue View Post
thanks nuffsaid, we also have looked at the Grand Design, but the Reflection 303 not the Solitude. Like the GD A lot. Dealer close to us carries the AF as well as the Cedar Silverback and the price is the same for the 291 IK and the AF 27.5. Not sure about the rear kitchen no island and no fireplace wife wants both. This is why the AF 28.5 appeals to us. Not too many negative comments re AF. We have looked at Jayco ht, Open Range, and Rockwood signature but concerns about full timing in these brands. Round and round we go. As mentioned less time to buy a $500,000 house than a $50,000 RV . Lol Don thanks for your input
I've done exhaustive research adnausium and I own a 33re cedar creek. The cedar creek is a middle of the road unit. The arctic fox is THE WAY TO GO....no comparison in quality. Our next fiver will be an AF for sure. Let me know how you like it.

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:27 PM   #5

Based solely on the mfgs--AF over Cedar Creek any day.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 07:10 PM   #6

I have the AF 27-5L with the rear kitchen; love the kitchen. We thought we would miss not having a fireplace, but we really don't. The island kitchen seemed somewhat confining and I didn't like not being able to get to the refrigerator with slides in. You can do an overnighter in a 27-5L with slides in and still use the bathroom, bedroom, watch TV and have access to the refrigerator. The only thing you can't get to is the pantry. As others have said, the AF is a solid unit. It's not the prettiest rig, but it will outlast most that are out there. I had an AF 990 camper prior to my fifth wheel, and it was a very solid unit as well.
Johndaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 07:12 PM   #7

Agreed

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:47 PM   #8

thanks everyone well we will take CC off the list and see how much the dealer wants for the AF 28-5 equipped how we want it. This is where I wish we were talking US dollars and not Cdn LOL I still have a soft spot for the Jayco Eagle based on a couple of friends but as noted in the specs the AF is quite a bit heavier which primarily is the construction, because most 5th wheels use the same stove fridge micro toilet beds etc. Don
Old 03-25-2017, 10:06 AM   #9

That's why different campers are made, one size doesn't fit all. I have a Cedar Creek and if I was going to get a bigger Creek I would get the Cedar Creek 36CKTS but it's just my opinion. I can't really trade now, my Creek was brought in 2015. I have added more upgrades and fixing to add one more. I have a residential refrigerator that DW loves and a 48in tv, I also have Goodyear G614 tires. I have added a stacked washer/dryer plus a Trav'ler automatic satellite antenna. When I get home next week I plan to have someone install disc brakes on the Creek. But hey everyone likes different stuff on campers. Enjoy your new camper and take lots of pictures to post
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote