Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2022, 06:41 AM   #29

I want to again point out one thing that is concerning.
Asking staff at the DMV may be misleading. I was told by a "manager" at our local DMV that I did not need an endorsement to tow my 12,000 pound GVWR fifth wheel. I actually had to show him in the handbook (they provide) that he was incorrect. He said "oh yes you do need an endorsement"
It is obviously very important to see the law in writing prior to visiting a DMV office. I could easily still be towing my fifth wheel illegally had I listened to the DMV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CB097DC8-9D74-4515-8AD7-53FD472B5959.png
Views:	27
Size:	2.34 MB
ID:	381120  
millsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2022, 06:08 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsrv View Post
I want to again point out one thing that is concerning.
Asking staff at the DMV may be misleading. I was told by a "manager" at our local DMV that I did not need an endorsement to tow my 12,000 pound GVWR fifth wheel. I actually had to show him in the handbook (they provide) that he was incorrect. He said "oh yes you do need an endorsement"
It is obviously very important to see the law in writing prior to visiting a DMV office. I could easily still be towing my fifth wheel illegally had I listened to the DMV.

It is an unusual request at the DMV, and when I went I knew I was in trouble when I got the "deer in the headlight" look. It was easy enough to show that indeed there was such an endorsement (not one person at the office knew about it), and it took about 20 minutes and two calls to Sacramento to figure out what test, and the name of it for the testing computer.

Want to also emphasize, that if you have had your California license for over a year, they required you to retake the written tests for all the licenses you currently have. I missed that line prior to going, and talk about returning the favor of the "deer in the headlight" look.
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 10:55 AM   #31

When I got our previous 20+K fiver I went out and got a Class A CDL, although my state only requires a non-commercial Class A or B as the situation may be.

Years later we had an accident in our 30,000+# Class A motorhome. I was covered, and the issue did not come up. Don't know what would have happened had I not had the license. When damages go into 6 figures the insurance companies get very picky........
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 04:26 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post

Years later we had an accident in our 30,000+# Class A motorhome. ......
And if there is a fatality, knowing and being in compliance with regulations is one less issue to deal with.

The worst MH accident that I have read about was 5 deaths when it over turned on the interstate. A 56k box truck had been converted to a RV. Twenty five people were riding in it going from a racing event in Texas to home in Minnesota.

The driver was 17 and that was legal because it was an RV.

The state I bought my RV when a retired and the state retired to have no additional requirement but I have considered if there was merit to those requirements.
Old 11-20-2022, 02:47 PM   #33

Send a message via Skype™ to RaySue
In BC, Canada you need a heavy trailer endorsement of any trailer over 10,000 lb.
RaySue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 02:49 PM   #34

Does the drivers license apply to the Class C series of RVs? I am planning on purchasing a Class C next year and want to be prepared. Thank you for posting this information. I have always found this site to provide a myriad of helpful information!
Nurse Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 02:52 PM   #35

Fortunately Florida standard license covers ANY RV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14ACE035-E2C1-4A15-8A7B-B4AF3F31A48E.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	381286  
Old 11-20-2022, 02:55 PM   #36

Drivers license

I just hope that everyone make sure they have the correct license for what they are driving seeing the LAWYER out there are looking to take everything you own if you’re in an accident and someone gets hurt bad!!! Just saying
gdw2884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 02:56 PM   #37

Back in 2007 Hemet DMV couldn’t figure out how to do this so I ended up with a Non-commercial license.
Wbwimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 03:06 PM   #38

Ed,
Live in New Mexico. Minor correction for motorhomes. If it is over 26,001 lb. You do not need the commercial license, instead it is a Class E non commercial license with an endorsement. I had an appointment to go in and get the endorsement which really only requires having a regular class D license and signing a Vehicle Certification form but when we took possession of our MH the manufacturer listed it as 25,999 lb. 2 pounds under the requirement!

Class E Non commercial license vehicles 26,001 or greater:
“Issued only to individuals who are exempt from the requirements of the New Mexico Commercial Driver’s License Act, including drivers of:
Recreational vehicles – vehicles licensed and used as recreational vehicles;”
SantaFeSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 03:24 PM   #39

Wisconsin: CDL required over 45 feet

That's for 1 vehicle. 70' combined. So a 45' motorhome and toad should be legal. In the northern part of the state we don't have inspections, which is great...
LifeSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 03:33 PM   #40

I think your interpretation is misguided, that’s if you use your drivers license for commercial purpose, however you should check your state for RV restrictions such as California residents have certain restrictions when driving an RV as a privet vehicle

Zzotte
Old 11-20-2022, 03:33 PM   #41

Jayco Owners Club
Thank you. That is very helpful. I live in Arizona so I guess we don’t need a special license.
SLAJMARTIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 03:37 PM   #42

I'll second that! I discovered the same thing about my Nevada driver's license. We were in Phoenix at the time and were planning a trip to Illinois, so I thought we could stop in South Dakota on our way there and get my license. We already had a PMB and had all our vehicles and fifth wheel registered there, so it seemed to be the way to go. Then someone on a forum pointed out to me that, until I did that, I would be driving with an invalid license. Not only would that be a legal violation, but my insurance company could deny the claim if I had an accident. That very day, I immediately booked a flight to Rapid City, South Dakota. I flew out a week later and stayed in a motel that--wonder of wonders--shared a parking lot with the DMV. The next day, I walked over to the DMV, got my driver's license within 10 minutes and also became a resident. Whew!
BikesAndGuns is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver