Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2022, 04:09 PM   #43

I had been driving my class a diesel pusher for over a year before I realized that I did not have the proper endorsement on my license. Pennsylvania required a non-commercial Class B endorsement to drive any MH with GVW over 26,000 lbs. I enlisted the help of an instructor who went over my coach with me in detail and put me through the wringer driving through cones and narrow streets. I passed tI enlisted the help of an instructor who went over my coach with me in detail and put me through the wringer driving through cones and narrow streets. I passed the drivers test with flying colors. In retrospect, I’m very glad for the experience as I believe it has made me a better driver. I would encourage all big rig RV drivers to check to see that they are legal in their state. It’s a simple thing to comply with and I believe you’ll feel happy knowing that things are in order should anything unforeseen happen.
2021 Tiffin Phaeton
2014 Wrangler Toad
Goodro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2022, 04:17 PM   #44

Other surprises

In Canada several years ago I drove a concrete mixer, so I got class three with airbrakes. Surprised to find out that many class A RV operators do not have an air brakes endorsement even though their motorhome has air brakes. There are a lot of states that demand airbrake endorsement on your drivers license so take a check.
RevRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 04:18 PM   #45

Look Here, Best Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post
States That Require A Commercial Driver’s License

• Arkansas: CDL required for vehicle over 26,000 lb
  • Connecticut: CDL (Class B) required for single vehicle over 26,000 lb; CDL (Class A) required for multiple vehicles with combined weight over 26,000 lb
  • Hawaii: CDL (Class B) required for single vehicle over 26,000 lb; CDL (Class A) required for multiple vehicles with combined weight over 26,000 lb
  • Kansas: CDL (Class B) required for single vehicle over 26,000 lb; CDL (Class A) required for multiple vehicles with combined weight over 26,000 lb
  • New Mexico: CDL (Class B) required for single vehicle over 26,000 lb; CDL (Class A) required for multiple vehicles with combined weight over 26,000 lb
  • Washington, D.C.: CDL (Class B) required for single vehicle over 26,000 lb; CDL (Class A) required for multiple vehicles with combined weight over 26,000 lb
  • Wisconsin: CDL required over 45 feet
States That Require A Non-Commercial Special Driver’s License

• California: Class B license required over 26,000 lb or over 40 feet; Class A license required for towing over 10,000 lbs
  • Maryland: Class B license required over 26,000 lb
  • Michigan: Recreational Double “R” Endorsement required to tow a fifth wheel plus a trailer (it’s unlikely that you’ll ever need this)
  • North Carolina: Class B license required for single vehicle over 26,000 lb; Class A license required for multiple vehicles with combined weight over 26,000 lb
  • Nevada: Class B license required for single vehicle over 26,000 lb; Class A license required for multiple vehicles with combined weight over 26,000 lb; “J” Endorsement required to tow a vehicle over 10,000 lb (if the combined weight is less than 26,000 lb)
  • New York: Recreational Vehicle or “R” endorsement required for vehicles over 26,000 lb
  • Pennsylvania: Class B license required for single vehicle over 26,000 lb; equired for multiple vehicles with combined weight over 26,000 lb
  • South Carolina: Class E license required for single vehicle over 26,000 lb; Class F license required for multiple vehicles with combined weight over 26,000 lb
  • Texas: Class B license required for single vehicle over 26,000 lb; Class A license required for multiple vehicles with combined weight over 26,000 lb
  • Wyoming: Class B license required for vehicle over 26,000 lb and towing under 10,000 lb; Class A license required for vehicle over 26,000 lb and towing over 10,000 lb
States That Do Not Require A Special Driver’s License

The following states do not require a special driver’s license to drive an RV. Where possible, we have provided links to the relevant state laws where the exemption for recreational vehicles can be found. Remember: When in doubt, contact your local DMV.Alabama (Ala. Code § 32-6-49.7)Montana (§ 61-1-101, MCA.)Alaska (AS § 28.90.990)Nebraska (Neb. Rev. Stat. § 60-465)Arizona (Ark. Code § 28-3102)New Hampshire (N.H. § Saf-C 1801.02)Colorado (Colo. Rev. Stat. § 42-2-402)New Jersey (N.J. Rev. Stat § 39:3-10.11)Delaware (Del. Admin. Code tit. 2 § 2213)North Dakota (N.D.C.C. § 39-06.2-06)Florida (Fla. Stat. § 332.53)Ohio (Ohio Rev. Code § 4506.3)Georgia (OCGA § 40-5-142)Oklahoma (47 O.S. § 1-107.4)Idaho (I.C. § 49-302)Oregon (Or. Rev. Stat § 801.208)Illinois (625 ILCS § 5/6-500)Rhode Island (31 R.I. Gen. Laws § 10.3-16)Indiana (CDL Manual)South Dakota (S.D. Codified Laws § 32-9-3)Iowa (Iowa Code §321.176A)Tennessee (T.C.A § 55-50-102)Kentucky (KRS § 281A-050 and CDL Manual)Utah (Utah Code § 53-3-102)Louisiana ( LSA-RS § 32:408)Vermont (23 V.S.A § 39-4103)Maine (29A M.R.S § 1252 and CDL manual)Virginia (Code § 46.2-341.4)Massachusetts (DMV.org)Washington (RCW 46 25-050)Minnesota (Minn. Stat. § 169.011 or driver’s manual)West Virginia (W. Va. Code § 17E-1)Mississippi (Miss. Code § 63-1-203)Missouri (MO Rev Stat § 302.775)

Thank you for taking the time to research this information. I'm happy to see that my Ohio license is valid for any size/weight of trailer or motorhome. I currently have a motorhome over 26,000 lbs which in some states would require a special license. Thankfully all states accept my Ohio license (or any other valid out of state license) with the rules that are valid in your home state for weight or towing limitations.

Bill
2019 NADP 3343
BillW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 04:26 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Diesel View Post
Does the drivers license apply to the Class C series of RVs? I am planning on purchasing a Class C next year and want to be prepared. Thank you for posting this information. I have always found this site to provide a myriad of helpful information!
If the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) is over 26,000 pounds you need to check the requirements for YOUR licensing state. Also, look into the GCVWR (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating) if you are planning on pulling a toad or trailer.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 04:28 PM   #47

CA License GVWR

Yep. When renewing my DL, the DMV employee informed me the Class
notice on the back would include the vehicle of GVWR of 26,000 or less, as their record was cross referenced with the MH registration.....govmt!
Neptune66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 04:41 PM   #48

My state does not limit what RV I operate but restrictions kick in for enclosed and flatbed trailers over 10k lb rated.
Old 11-20-2022, 04:52 PM   #49

Those rules are not entirely accurate for North Carolina at least and I was told the same in California when we lived there and I had RV’s (and had an accident with my fiver when folks slammed their brakes in front of me at a red light). From what I have always been told the fine print at the DMV states that recreational vehicles are exempt from the normal class A/B/C requirements so any RV is effectively exempt from those rules (whether it’s weight rules or length rules). It is certainly hard to find the information and basically impossible to figure out on the NC DMV how to even apply for a non commercial class A or B license. But they do talk about that here:

https://www.ncbold.com/license/44326

Most importantly it specifically exempts all personal use in the exemption section. Which if you read it means the entire non commercial class A and B parts are kinda stupid since if you are not doing anything for money, it’s all personal and the exemption section effectively invalidates the whole thing (which is maybe why you can’t apply online anywhere I can find for a non commercial class A or B endorsement):

Exemptions
Vehicles for personal use not for hire, military vehicles, Emergency Vehicle, farm vehicles (that meet all exemption requirements), Operated by farmer or employees for the exclusive use of farm, used for the transport of agricultural products, supplies or equipment to and from the farm, not used for hire, and used within 150 miles of the farmer's farm.

So pretty sure based on that reading and all the research I have done before it’s not needed in NC. Lots of interesting stuff in this older thread also:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...nc-183604.html
bossman2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 05:19 PM   #50

Driver’s license

Maryland didn’t have a clue about drivers license requirements for class A over 26,001 either including air brake endorsement. The lawyers will take everything you own. Research and get legal.
USNRET85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 05:42 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelSolo View Post
I got that endorsement about 10 years ago. It was a struggle to get the DMV to know what to do for me to get it. I had to break out the drivers manuals, the website pages, etc. They were trying to give me the non-commercial class A and even got a "just get a commercial class A" from one person. Finally they called Sacramento and figured out what to do and how to apply it to me record. Quick written test and all good.

I was hauling my rock crawler on a personal use 24ft 14k gooseneck at the time and wanted to at least be able to try to get out of a ticket at the time if I got pulled over. If I can pull a 15k high walled 5er trailer, I can surely pull a wide open deck on a gooseneck
Motor Vehicle Dept. employees are pretty good, but they don't always know the fine points, much less RV "things". New Mexico requires a driver to have a CDL-E (Exempt) if the vehicle exceeds 26,000 lbs. Not onerous requirements but not well advertised, but most 35+" class A's meet this criteria. If you don't follow this reg, your insurance may leave you high and dry on a.claim!
dives2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 05:56 PM   #52

PA

In PA if combined truck and RV is over 24,000 pounds a Class A non-commercial license is required. After 50+ years of driving I had to get a learners permit for $5. Had to be accompanied to the behind the wheel test by someone with a class A or CDL license and drive the truck and RV to the license center for the test. Check your state requirements.
1MadSci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 06:33 PM   #53

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by millsrv View Post
I thought I had done all my research and made good decisions on purchasing our truck and RV.

Turns out based on experience thus far I did with one huge exception.

After almost two years of towing I recently discovered that my Class C drivers license was not correct and legal to tow our rig with.

Thank you for sharing.

We lived in Pennsylvania, and now New York. According to PA (Non-commercial Class A and B Fact sheet): "CLASS A (minimum age 18):

(Is) Required to operate any combination of vehicles with a Gross Combination
Weight Rating (GCWR) of 26,001 pounds or more, where the vehicle(s) being towed have a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Example: A truck, with a GCWR of 28,000 pounds towing a vehicle or trailer with a GVWR of 11,000 pounds.The driver of the vehicle must have a Class A driver’s license to operate this vehicle."

In our case, our RAM 3500 has a GCWR of 14,000, and our 5th wheel is 16,000 pounds. The combined weight is 30,000 pounds, thus the need for the non-commercial class A.

What I found interesting was that many DOT officials, as well as many of the traffic police that I spoke to, were NOT aware of the requirement.

While I know many RV'ers do not know or have such a license, One of our concerns was that if we were ever to have an accident (heaven forbid), even if it were not our fault, was that the insurance company was not going to honor our policy had I not had the right license. Now that is a frightening thought.
enigma2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 07:05 PM   #54

Florida now not required valid in all states
ccpd401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 07:14 PM   #55

We lived in Oregon for 35 years. No special license required for any size RV. We now live in Nevada. This summer we started shopping for a motorhome. Looked at all different GVWR weights. Made an offer on a used one, but thankfully the offer was not accepted. A few days later a friend from Texas was shopping with us and asked if we had a non-commercial class license. We said something to the effect of "we don't need no stinkin special license." Then we went home and did some research! Turns out if the motorhome GVWR is over 26,000 lbs we need a Class B non-commercial license. That would require both a written and drive test. We decided to skip the DMV hassle and buy something under 26,000 lbs. Glad our friend was shopping with us before we made a purchase. Bonnie
DougnBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 07:37 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Diesel View Post
Does the drivers license apply to the Class C series of RVs? I am planning on purchasing a Class C next year and want to be prepared. Thank you for posting this information. I have always found this site to provide a myriad of helpful information!
Class C motor homes are usually well under the 26,000lb maximum (Texas) that can be driven with a standard driver's license. You will need to see what your state requires for the weight class of your RV. Texas class B RV allows you to drive a vehicle over 26,001 pounds plus a towed vehicle under 10,000 lbs.
gwb2020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver