Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2007, 06:34 PM   #1

Has anyone used the bottled cleaners to clean the sensors in the holding tank, and if so which ones work the best.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2007, 06:34 PM   #2

Has anyone used the bottled cleaners to clean the sensors in the holding tank, and if so which ones work the best.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:16 AM   #3

Do a search for the "geo" method. Basically it involves dumping in about 1/4 cup of original Dawn dish soap, filling with water and driving to your destination. Drain and you should be good to go. In the black tank they also suggest adding a bag of ice cubes.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:18 AM   #4

The GEO method works great! My sensors haven't worked for a couple of years. I completely filled out black tank with a hose right into the toilet, put in about a cup of fabric softener, about a cup of bleach, and about a 1/2 cup of detergent. Drove about 70 miles to a nearby campground where we sometimes stay. As soon as I arrived, I dumped the black tank and presto! The sensor was cleaned and works! I will use this method from now on! Try it!
carl1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:44 AM   #5

Bettle, never heard of what you are asking but I use a similar method like Don and Carl.
I also installed a wash out from Camping World for about $22. This has helped the most. When I am hooked to full hook up, I use my gray hose to this and wash the tank well. Since I insatalled this, 80% of the time my sensors work.
I do not use chemicals except lubricant about twice a year. I use Surf washing powder. It has a pleasant scent and cleans the tank well. I also add three or four water softner pellets as soft water cleans better and at Sam's a big bag was cheap.
I always try to add 3 or so gallons of water after dumping. This is also easier if you have the wash out as you can do this from the outside.
I understand ice and soap work but have not had to use ice in my last two years.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:03 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by E Z Livin:
Bettle, never heard of what you are asking but I use a similar method like Don and Carl. I use Surf washing powder. It has a pleasant scent and cleans the tank well. I also add three or four water softner pellets as soft water cleans better and at Sam's a big bag was cheap. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what the GEO Method is all about..using soap, water softener & dumping full tanks.
Here' a link to it: GEO METHOD

'05 Fleetwood Mallard 180CK
ThunderRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:05 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Our black water tank sensors have not worked since the first year. I tried cleaning then with the bag of ice trick etc. Now we just gage the level by our usage. You can tell after a while by the number of days and the type of camping you are doing. The longest we have gone without dumping is 8 days, but we were careful to use the bathhouse during the day and the rig only at night.
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:56 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 450Donn:
Do a search for the "geo" method. Basically it involves dumping in about 1/4 cup of original Dawn dish soap, filling with water and driving to your destination. Drain and you should be good to go. In the black tank they also suggest adding a bag of ice cubes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

DO NOT use Dawn dish soap, it is too high sudsing, the GEO method calls for Laundry detergent. Use it, it does work. Adding a couple bags of ice to the toilet and then driving around a bit will help scrub the sides of the tank and clean the sensors.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:08 AM   #9

Ok, I have a "dumb" question! Do you put the "geo" method mixture in both the gray & black tanks? Our sensors quit too and I want to try this on our next trip out. Thanks!
madashby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:10 AM   #10

YES, use it in everything except the fresh water tank.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:23 PM   #11

The ice cubes worked wonders for me (about 8 miles of driving did the trick), and the GEO method is the way to go for me.
I don't bother with soap in the gray tank, it gets enough already.
Tom in Salem, MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:19 PM   #12

I've had black tank sensor problems over the last two months. I used the Flush King method this past weekend and the sensor is working fine now. Good to know though that there's other methods out there!
Rockwood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:34 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
This worked for me.

Gauge Cleaner

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote