Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2017, 04:44 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckV1 View Post

When we looked at new trailers this past year I tested a few salesmen by
kneeing down under a few trailers, only found one that went under a unit
when I did. He stated that "no one ever looks under these trailers", he
I believe was in his early 30es, I laughed an said there's more to under
one than on top
Here is a thread which demonstrates a VERY good reason to check under the trailer BEFORE purchasing it.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f254/fres...al-248143.html

To most people, out of sight means out of mind.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2017, 07:38 AM   #30

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-Writer View Post
I went to the Denver RV show last night. Besides a large crowd, I was disappointed with the vendors (actually the lack of). There were no vendors showcasing any of the things needed for good RV experiences in my opinion. Progressive surge protectors absent, oxygenics absent, road master/blue ox absent, no TPMS vendors, no real battery or solar vendors etc...

I really didn't want to walk through a bunch of coaches (well about 30 total from what I could tell) or 5ers/TT's and a lot of teardrop rigs. I wanted to see innovation in the after market gizmo's - weak!

Stick with Amazon I guess

I SO agree! Good quality vendors are really missing the boat at the bigger RV shows. There are tons of people there in the market only for various accessories while window shopping.

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:59 AM   #31

Mid Atlantic Campers
We went to the Richmond,VA show awhile back and we were disappointed too. A real area that has been left out at shows.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:32 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Also it is not just the cheap ones that have build quality issues, my wife and I were at an RV show last month, looking in all the nice new motohomes. One diesel pusher we were looking in had a price tag of over $300,000 and the bathroom door latch that did not line up. Think about it, if they can't catch a bathroom door that will not stay shut, what else slips through quality control.
So true. The wife and I were at a our local podunk RV show and there were some motor homes in the $150K range. We walked in a few and couldn't believe the shoddy construction. I walked out of one and told the wife it was nothing more than a cheap $25K MSRP TT on a $125K chassis. Sad. I can't imagine the noise going down the road from all the squeaks and rattles that will develop.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:04 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog2you View Post
We went to the Richmond,VA show awhile back and we were disappointed too. A real area that has been left out at shows.
We went to the Portland RV show last weekend and were also disappointed in the number of vendors represented. There was Mor-Ryde, but didn't see PacBrake this time, some dealers had some hitches. No tire reps or dealers with tire options. Seems like in many ways missing the boat.

I am sure cost of being there plays into it, and expecting the RV dealers to provide representation of their products.
Rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:44 PM   #34

I bought a coachmen chaparral 31rls xlite I'm impressed with the build quality and the storage.32ft of usable living.
barr0208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:25 PM   #35

Talking about build quality, we bought a 07 Dutchman Grand Junction back in January. Funny part is, this unit has better built cabinets and plumbing than most of the new units being rolled off the lines now.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:55 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagfo View Post
We went to the Portland RV show last weekend and were also disappointed in the number of vendors represented. There was Mor-Ryde, but didn't see PacBrake this time, some dealers had some hitches. No tire reps or dealers with tire options. Seems like in many ways missing the boat.

I am sure cost of being there plays into it, and expecting the RV dealers to provide representation of their products.
I went to the same show and it seemed like less dealers than in years past. I think Blue Dog use to be there and they weren't this year. I was on kind of limited time and got a pretty good look but could have spent a couple more hours for sure.

I thought is was an overall pretty good show. It's just nice to have so many units in the same place and indoors... and w/o super aggressive sales people like when on a lot.

It is totally amazing how many completely uneducated buyers there are wandering around. They just take every word of a salesman as gospel. Even an honest salesman doesn't know everything about every model like a purchaser who has done their research should. Every car, truck or RV I've bought in the last 15 years I've known way more than the salesman. And that's not meant to talk down the salesman. I'm looking at one thing and he has about 100 to sell. I don't expect him to know what I do after researching.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:35 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
It is totally amazing how many completely uneducated buyers there are wandering around. They just take every word of a salesman as gospel. Even an honest salesman doesn't know everything about every model like a purchaser who has done their research should. Every car, truck or RV I've bought in the last 15 years I've known way more than the salesman. And that's not meant to talk down the salesman. I'm looking at one thing and he has about 100 to sell. I don't expect him to know what I do after researching.
One of the first questions I ask a salesman (or woman) when they start telling me how great this or that RV is would be "Do you currently own an RV? And how many and of what type have you owned in the past?" If the answer is 0 or a low number, I tend to take everything they say with a grain of salt about the size of Stone Mountain!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:31 AM   #38

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NITEHAWK View Post
And my 28 year old Foretravel Class A bathroom door closes with a gentle push of my pinky finger!
Quality endures!!!
We are right there with you Nitehawk,
Really surprised at the lack of quality materials & sturdy construction in nearly all of the $300 to $500k (new)offerings. And did you look under the slides when extended?
Most were open to the elements with little to no insulation & the slide mechanisms were exposed as well....
We'll just keep our 15 yr old coach for another decade or longer.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote