Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2017, 01:56 PM   #1

Clueless at RV show

Went to the Ohio RV Supershow yesterday. Large crowds in 8 degree temps showed how much interest there is in RV'ing. Being someone who recently purchased a new r.v. I was there just browsing and and casually listening to comments from people who were like me a few years ago, getting sales pitches and looking at the bling trying to decide what to buy. At first, I tried to offer some advice but quickly learned most people don't want any. I mostly looked at 50,000 dollar and up 5th wheels and never heard one person ask technical questions (frame size, tire ratings, type of pin box, can I full time in this to name a few) that I was asking and many that post here ask. Bling seemed to be most important. No wonder so many complain about their purchases months later. One particular guy comes to mind. Him and his wife were telling another couple that the 5th wheel they were in, a 39 footer, was the one they were going to spend 45 plus grand on. When my wife suggested a different brand they might check out with higher end features around same price he snapped that" he was done looking and this was a quality unit" albeit the plastic sinks, plastic coated particle board cabinet sides, 10" frame, std pin box etc. And not rated full time. It did have fancy rope lighting inside and a large outside entertainment package.
gnirwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2017, 02:16 PM   #2

Totally agree with your "Clueless" statement. Been to enough RV shows over the years and it just amazes me what some think are important build features. It's also just as bad listening to the sales people tell buyers that their 3/4 ton will have no problems towing the 40' 5th wheel there currently in. It's as much fun to just go and listen to the other people as it is to look at some new models.
I'm not sure what the percentage of new buyers is today, but a few years ago while watching a Grand Design promo video one of the owners mentioned that 30% of buyers are 1st time buyers. I'm also sure that there are those that currently own an RV that still don't know what they're looking for in terms of quality. If they haven't had any major issues with their present RV then they have no reason to look for better quality.
They may have a good quality RV but don't know why, so they buy a 2nd of lesser quality and wonder what happened.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:30 PM   #3

All depends who is looking. When we shopped for our DP this is what the DW saw:

This is what I saw:

Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:31 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, I don't bother offering info/advice at dealers or shows any more. People don't want to hear it!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:52 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I went to the Denver RV show last night. Besides a large crowd, I was disappointed with the vendors (actually the lack of). There were no vendors showcasing any of the things needed for good RV experiences in my opinion. Progressive surge protectors absent, oxygenics absent, road master/blue ox absent, no TPMS vendors, no real battery or solar vendors etc...

I really didn't want to walk through a bunch of coaches (well about 30 total from what I could tell) or 5ers/TT's and a lot of teardrop rigs. I wanted to see innovation in the after market gizmo's - weak!

Stick with Amazon I guess
Old 01-08-2017, 02:57 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm going to the Dulles, VA RV Expo next weekend. I like looking at the new rigs even though I can't afford one. The primary reason I go is to get discount coupons to campgrounds and the tchotchkes. The half price tickets via Good Sam mark it worthwhile.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:01 PM   #7

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Yep, I don't bother offering info/advice at dealers or shows any more. People don't want to hear it!
and, I'll add, most folks don't know what they don't yet know... which would make a big difference. I probably would have fallen into the same scenario if I had been approached while shopping for our first, or second, or even the third...sometimes you just don't know that you don't yet know enough to know what you need to know. If you know what I mean : )
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:44 PM   #8

Wife and I are going to the Tampa show next week. Only to get educated on what we should be buying. Still not smart enough to know what we don't know. Hoping people don't mind me asking a lot of questions.

Tool Man

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Snap-On Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:42 AM   #9

Snap -O Man you really do need to ask a lot of questions but to be honest with you, the advice you get sometimes may not be the best. I just purchased my 3rd camper at age 63. I grew up with parents camping as well as my wife's parents. My in laws finished camping in their early 80's. So I was able to "lean on their experiences" as well as witnessing things on the road at different camp grounds. I think if I had to go by the advice of salespeople at RV shows I would be on here posting negative reviews like so many others. I really think there are a lot of cheaply built units out there but they are built for casual use and their price reflects this. If you see a new 39 footer showing a lot of inside Bling for 40,000 or less and you plan on spending a lot of time in it run, don't walk away...look for a nice well built used for same price.
gnirwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:50 AM   #10

If you are seriously interested in a specific brand or model, go through some large campgrounds and see if you can find a similar model. May be a year or two older if you are shopping new, but those owners are "seasoned" and can give you a lot of good info on their buying experience, the quality of the build, what they like and don't like, customer service etc. Most people we've run into are more than willing to talk about their coach or fiver, or TT. If you are looking to get an inside guided tour expect some rejections, or the occasional come back in "two hours" or "after lunch" as my significant other will kill me if I take anyone through our coach before we get a chance to tidy up! Heck, all they can say is no!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:06 AM   #11

One person's trash is another person's treasure. Giving unsolicited advice rarely ends well for the advisor. With no knowledge of how the prospective buyers plan to use the unit it would be hard to give specific recommendations. I find it telling that so many find the rejection of their wisdom insulting.
RichH
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:21 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Usually it's the salespeople that don't want to hear it. We were at the first Good Sam rally in Phoenix, went to the Entegra area and a salesman tried to tell me that Entegra was the only RV manufacturer that used hung wall construction as it was too expensive. Told him the Newmar has used it for years and as did Entegra's predecessor, Travel Supreme, which was a started by ex Newmar employees. He didn't really take that too well!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:32 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Slightly off-topic, does anyone check Consumer Reports on RVs anymore? Do they even cover RVs these days? (I haven't seen one in years.) If they do, one would think that potential buyers would check it first and narrow down the better rated RVs and then check them out at RV shows.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:56 AM   #14
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I don't offer advice at shows. Most people have a mind set and will believe the dealers. Some dealers are ethical and great to work wioth, but so many are there just to make the sale.
It a shame buyers do a lot of searching then let their egos get in the way, and won't listen. So I keep my mouth shut.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote