Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2018, 12:43 PM   #1

Common Repairs I Should Expect?

My wife and I are doing some research as we prepare to buy our first RV and I'm going to be completely honest - we're terrified. Everything we've learned so far leads us to believe we'll have endless repairs and bad customer service.

That's why we're leaning toward a 5th wheel and an F350. The truck will be bulletproof and if the 5er needs repair we can just drop it off.

I'm also hoping 5er's tend to have less problems than MH's?

But in your experience, what kind of repairs should I expect from a 5-8 year old 5er? I just want to go into this experience with my eyes wide open and I want to know how much I should budget. Feel free to link to another thread!

Thanks so much!
benandjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2018, 01:14 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club

If you're able to go the 5'er route I think you'll be able to find a really nice one 5 years old or so.
If you already know how to use a volt-meter and basic tools than you will be able to fix most of the things yourself. I would say the slides/roof would be the items I'd be most concerned with while buying. It can all be a little overwhelming if you let it. If you start out knowing that all you can do is try and purchase a unit that is well taken care of. After that it's out of your hands. Work on items that keep you from camping. If you have time you work on making your Camper as nice as time allows.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:16 PM   #3

Know the feeling. We bought used so I can't comment on customer service as our trailer has never been into a shop. Repairs are one thing and maintenance and upgrades are others. I find I don't do a whole lot in terms of repairs on our 10 year old unit but I do invest plenty of time with maintenance. I like to fuss with the 5er so i devote some time to upgrades which is self imposed.

Hopefully, you will chose a trailer in the 5 year old range that has been well maintained with all the initial warranty problems sorted out. You will most likely need new tires at the outset. Getting your hitch set up correctly can be a challenge so your trailer will tow level. If your intended truck is new then it will sit tall. Measure your prospective trailer's front overhang to make sure it will fit the truck with bed rail clearance. If not, lifting mods for the trailer could get expensive and will frustrate you at the outset.

If you are handy and don't mind doing routine maintenance yourself then the fifth wheel won't be an issue. There in't anything too complicated with them, kind of like owning a house. If not handy, an RV can get expensive.

From my experience, it has been worth it. We worked our way up to a fifth wheel and we are going to stay with our unit. Good luck.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:54 PM   #4

Obviously, our '05 Jayco is way older than you are looking at. We purchased it in '16. Replaced tires (they were date coded '04) and wheels. Faucet in the bathroom needed replaced when the water system was charged. Easy fix going to the hardware while on vacation.

Other than that, no issues whatsoever. Need to go through the wheel bearings. Will look at the brakes when doing the bearings. Wouldn't hurt to touch-up some sealant. And I'd like to add a front AC unit so we don't freeze-out anyone staying in the lower area.

Ours was owned by an older couple that used it for two to three months a year. Otherwise it was stored in a barn and was in great condition. I looked at the roof, looked for any water damage and generally looked at it like a car I was going to buy. Just make sure you have plenty of towing capacity.

Good luck and welcome!

2005 Jayco Designer 31RKS
5001craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:57 PM   #5

Did you guys get inspections? I was planning on getting one.

I wasn't interest in 5ers at first. But when I read that you can do a u-turn with a 5er I knew they were for me.

Frankly, I want a Class A. But they seem like maintenance nightmares.
benandjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:34 PM   #6

We did not get an inspection. That said, we bought from a dealer. When we picked it up the service tech went through ever facet of the rig. Turned on every light and made everything work. He would stop if we had questions. They even made sure when we hitched-up we knew what we were looking at when backing-up in a turn (we would make contact with the short bed). Changed that with a long bed on the present truck. Salesman was pushy and seemed a little slippery but other than that we had a good experience. Don't see us taking it back for service. I prefer to work on my own stuff if there's even a remote possibility that I can fix it.

2005 Jayco Designer 31RKS
5001craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by benandjen View Post
and if the 5er needs repair we can just drop it off.
Thanks so much!

That right there is where the nightmare begins.

That is where the stories of "our rig sat in the repair yard for 3 months before they looked at it and for 4 more months until it was fixed." come from.

"now the batteries are dead, food in the fridge rotten and it looks like someone has been living in it."

Even if you plan on having a shop do the work you have to be very diligent on many things.

When will you actually look at it?

I will bring it in the day before and take it home after until parts arrive.

Then I will bring it back WHEN YOU ARE GOING TO WORK ON IT!
Then I will inspect the repairs before I pay for them. Then I will take it back home.

Most people do not realize the actual time working on the rig is a few days while it sits on their lot getting damaged for 6 months.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:33 PM   #8

My advice on repairs if you cant do them is to get a mobile repair guy to come work on it at your place. He will want to get it fixed quick as possible because he wants to feed his family. Big box could care less if it sits for months because they got money coming in other places.
MorganT69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:14 PM   #9

It will be best if any owner of an RV learn how to fix the myriad of small items that will break or not work. Just need a few basic tools to debug electric, and fix shoddy work from the factory.

Example - my auto level was mounted to a spongy thin piece of luan. I removed the control unit and bought and cut a much thicker piece of wood and remounted the control unit on the solid piece of wood.

If you drop off your trailer for minor fixes the RV shop will have your rig for weeks or longer.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
It will be best if any owner of an RV learn how to fix the myriad of small items that will break or not work. Just need a few basic tools to debug electric, and fix shoddy work from the factory.

Example - my auto level was mounted to a spongy thin piece of luan. I removed the control unit and bought and cut a much thicker piece of wood and remounted the control unit on the solid piece of wood.

If you drop off your trailer for minor fixes the RV shop will have your rig for weeks or longer.
x2. Google and YouTube will be your best friend, along with forums.
RV's aren't complicated.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:31 PM   #11

Caulking seam seals is something that needs to be done when needed.This is not a repair but critical maintenance.
42willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:35 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Did you guys get inspections? I was planning on getting one......
IMO... everyone tells you to get an inspection but almost no one actually gets an inspection. The problem is that every inspection is going to find a multitude of problems. How many times will you pay for the inspection before you find the right rig? Even then the inspection isn't going to guarantee that you have a problem free rig.
If you're going for a 5'er I think you'll be ok just inspecting the roof and slides.
Forums are a little like the news...... It's mostly the bad stuff that's reported. Many, many people are using there campers with just normal problems.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
IMO... everyone tells you to get an inspection but almost no one actually gets an inspection. The problem is that every inspection is going to find a multitude of problems. How many times will you pay for the inspection before you find the right rig? Even then the inspection isn't going to guarantee that you have a problem free rig.
If you're going for a 5'er I think you'll be ok just inspecting the roof and slides.
Forums are a little like the news...... It's mostly the bad stuff that's reported. Many, many people are using there campers with just normal problems.
You are being too simplistic.

Sure RV problems are well overblown. And owners take rigs in for minor items like loose trim that could easily be fixed by them .

However roof and slides does not cover even the few major systems. Plumbing/holding tanks and 12v &120v electrical are huge expensive items that commonly fail.

I consider the minimum inspection should be those four items. Roof, Slides, plumbing, electrical.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:47 PM   #14
KJD

Quote:
Did you guys get inspections? I was planning on getting one.

I wasn't interest in 5ers at first. But when I read that you can do a u-turn with a 5er I knew they were for me.

Frankly, I want a Class A. But they seem like maintenance nightmares.
Why is be able to do a U-turn such a plus for you getting a 5th wheel?
And as the maintenance nightmares on a Class A?? They are not any different then doing maintenance on a "bulletproof" diesel that you say you are going to get to pull the 5th wheel. My diesel truck is EXPENSIVE to do the maintance that it requires to be realiable.. My Class A motorhome was just the same too. So it you really want a Class A then don't say they are maintenance nightmares because really they are not.... Expensive yes I will give you that but so is the maintenance on any diesel truck big enough to handle todays 5th wheels............
KJD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, repair, repairs