Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2017, 07:30 AM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Complaint Filed with NHTSA - Lippert front Levelers -- leaking

Yesterday I filed a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration about the defective LIPPERT front levelers on my unit and DRV units in general. My situation was that the levelers were leaking down while going down the road causing a real concern for our safety while driving and safety in general.

I would encourage anyone with similar situations where the front Levelers are leaking down -- on the road or not -- to go to the NHTSA website and report your problem. Here is the site information:

The link is www.https://www.nhtsa.gov/

Then click on the box --- report a problem.

Anyone with leveler problems should jump on board.

Thanks

Don
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2017, 08:39 AM   #2

I'm curious about what you expect to accomplish. What do you expect them to do about it?
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:34 AM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
I'm curious about what you expect to accomplish. What do you expect them to do about it?

How about get them recalled and get them fixed.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:41 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have you tried to get Lippert to fix them and they refused or what?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:45 AM   #5

So, you dont want to take them off and either repair them or hand them off to a hydraulic shop to fix. Im confused. How old is this unit? Have you talked to DRV and or Lippert?
Old 12-12-2017, 10:22 AM   #6

2016 Mobile Suites.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:29 AM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Sorry for the confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
So, you dont want to take them off and either repair them or hand them off to a hydraulic shop to fix. Im confused. How old is this unit? Have you talked to DRV and or Lippert?

I don't want to confuse anyone. I have contacted Lippert and they refuse to fix the front levelers -- which is a known problem with DRV owners.
No I do not want to take them off and fix them myself when it is their problem and is a definite safety issue.

thanks

Don

2016 38RSSA Chestnut Dunes, FB Paint, induction cook top, solar, 4 batteries, 3" Riser, WiFi Ranger, Cheap Heat, 4150 Pin
2017 F450 Lariat, CC, LB, 6.7, Camper/Snow Plow Pkg., Chrome Pkg., Retrax Bed Cover, TS3 Air Hitch, spray bedliner, bed lights, 55 gal. aux. tank, 200 psi air system
Old 12-12-2017, 10:53 AM   #8

So what's the immediate plan?....Either park it, or find a dealer that'll fix it?
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:48 PM   #9

You're willing to allow your unit to be unusable until a government agency tries to resolve your problem? That thing is going to be sitting for a very long time. Seems like a long way to go to prove a point. As others have mentioned seems it would be better if you just got them fixed. Wishing you the best of luck
Old 12-12-2017, 02:59 PM   #10

Don & Pat, You are doing the right thing. Might take awhile but the important issue is that they are a potential accident (waiting to happen) to you or an unsuspecting owner/operator. Franky, there should be a 'lock' that prevents them from 'easing down' and not relying on the hydraulic system to hold them up.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:14 PM   #11

Although reporting it may be a good thing and eventually it may do some good, how have you documented the safety aspect. Did you have an incident? Was anyone injured? How many injuries or wrecks have their been nationwide? In your opinion it is a safety issue but that has to be documented. DRV's opinion may be that it is not a safety issue mandating a government recall as the legs would just fold back if the strike the road surface. Even if a recall is eventually issued it will be years down the road.
fpresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:25 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The thing to do would be repair the issue, keep copies of everything, then proceed with the legal aspect of this. The OP is rightly concerned that this could become something larger. If Lippert won't step up,and the trailer builder won't, your left with few options other than lawsuit.
Putting the cart before the horse does not solve the immediate issue.
Best of everything for a good outcome.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:45 PM   #13

I filed 2 NHTSA reports on prior Winnie / Workhorse re brake issues before WH acknowledged the problem and agreed to the recall.
I took care of the repair but kept complete documentatipn, receipts, etc.
It took roughly 2 yrs to finally get WH to reimburse me for my out of pocket costs.
I would not want to be waiting for a response before getting my MH back on the road and safe.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:27 PM   #14

Have you contacted Trailer Life Magazine? They do pursue warranty claims.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, led, levelers, lippert