Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2017, 10:52 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicRT View Post
This is now my Number 1 rule. Had a near miss a couple of months ago. Was unhooking on completely flat ground at a storage lot. Why chock the wheels?! Pulled the lever to release the jaws and the trailer began moving back VERY slowly. Nothing one can do at that point but watch the inevitable Luckily, it moved only about 4-inches, stopped, and didn't come fully off the hitch. I was a very, very lucky boy that day.
I did that as well, only I was just being stupid, I got lucky as well, I still had my tailgate up, the 5th rolled back and hit the tailgate (no damage), I still had about an 1.5 inches sitting on the 5th wheel hitch, talk about one that made my you know what pucker up. all I could do was watch it roll.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2017, 11:27 AM   #16

[QUOTE=Skip426;3545216]Don't see any info on your tow vehicle ; expect it's a two wheel drive ; being able to inch the truck around in any conditions , was the primary reason I always had a 4X4 as a tow vehicle , low range can help you out of most situations.

BTW; having the front landing legs on the plastic pads , probably saved you from bending, or breaking them off their mounts.

Truck is a 2016 Silverado 2500 HD 4x4. At the time, I saw no reason to put it in 4 wheel drive. However, next time I will rethink this.
Nick1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:32 PM   #17

I think everyone agrees that there is little likelihood of hitch damage. The only thing I see missed in this conversation is the backing procedure. When presented with such a situation, you shouldn't be using the accelerator pedal to control movement. Keep your left for on the brake while increasing the engine rpms and slowly release brake pressure to climb out of the rut. It will be less likely that you will suddenly break free.
beipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:08 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Carolina Campers
I feel for you and glad there wasn't any damage that you know of. I don't want to ruffle any feathers but this is one of the reasons I went to the Anderson Ultimate Hitch. No chance of this happening or of the trailer coming down on the truck.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by roothoss1282 View Post
I went to the Anderson Ultimate Hitch. No chance of this happening or of the trailer coming down on the truck.
I helped a friend convert to the Anderson Ultimate , and I can see some advantages , my only concern is the adapter to the 5ers kingpin. JMHO ; there's a lot of twisting potential between the ball and pin to be trusted to some oversize set screws. Don't know why they wouldn't just drill the plate and use bolts to secure the adapter ? Ease of install I guess. I'd re-torque those set screws often.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:27 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
I did that as well, only I was just being stupid, I got lucky as well, I still had my tailgate up, the 5th rolled back and hit the tailgate (no damage), I still had about an 1.5 inches sitting on the 5th wheel hitch, talk about one that made my you know what pucker up. all I could do was watch it roll.
I'm missing something here. Your landing legs are down when hitching or unhitching. It is a bit unsettling when the trailer moves during these maneuvers, but I don't see how there's any chance of damage to truck bed unless you have legs on LOTS of blocks.

I don't use pads or blocks under my landing gear unless the ground is really soft, and then they are 2x8 blocks.

The first-on-first-off chock rule is a must.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:06 AM   #21

Well, 'unsettling' is one way to put it when you see 18,000 pounds unexpectedly rolling away from you with no control whatsoever I suppose the only potential damage (since the front jacks were down) would have been to bend the jacks. The trailer would not have come down on the truck and my tailgate was down. In my case, it was a bit of a sandy area and I think the trailer tires must have rolled into a slight depression after I released the king pin. Lesson learned.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:41 AM   #22

I'd check the front landing gear for bending buddies. Sliding 12" under load may have bent them forward a bit. Raising and lowering the fiver on the landing gear several times should reveal any problem if there is one.
Mine got slammed sideways about 6-8" and the lower half of the legs were warped and replaced. Good luck. Hope there's no damage.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 04:29 PM   #23

Welcome to the forum.
Thank goodness no one was hurt and nothing was damaged.
Perhaps re-evaluate your chock situation. Many of the chocks I see are not appropriate for anything but the smallest lightest campers. I often see jacks on elevated narrow blocks with no chocks... I'm currently parked next to a Teton Homes perched on 8" high plastic stack-able blocks, no chocks. We're on level crumbled asphalt gravel but, in an earthquake zone. Call me crazy but I have 4 of the largest Harbor Freight model chocks.
Study the models used by truckers, airports and fire dept. get as many as required to secure the trailer in both directions. Unlike a Semi-trailer when parked you're RV trailer brakes are not applied.
On un-even, slopped, or loose terrain test the chocks by setting them, then put the TV in neutral with no brakes applied. If the chocks won't hold the entire rig steady, DO NOT Disconnect.
*First thing down last thing pulled.

Be well.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:31 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by davendeb View Post
I'd check the front landing gear for bending buddies. Sliding 12" under load may have bent them forward a bit. Raising and lowering the fiver on the landing gear several times should reveal any problem if there is one.
Mine got slammed sideways about 6-8" and the lower half of the legs were warped and replaced. Good luck. Hope there's no damage.
Edit...Not sure where "bending buddies" came from. Meant to say "bending."
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:39 AM   #25

Mid Atlantic Campers
Not really necessary but I pull my emergency brake away pin a couple of times a year while hooking up. Just to make sure it's working. Chocks are your best friend.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:19 PM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I helped a friend convert to the Anderson Ultimate , and I can see some advantages , my only concern is the adapter to the 5ers kingpin. JMHO ; there's a lot of twisting potential between the ball and pin to be trusted to some oversize set screws. Don't know why they wouldn't just drill the plate and use bolts to secure the adapter ? Ease of install I guess. I'd re-torque those set screws often.
Yep I no what you mean, I was a little worried about that myself. I have checked it many times and could never get any tighter. I have tried finding out negatives to this and there just isn't any. It really is a great setup..

Tags
5th wheel