Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2017, 02:59 PM   #1

Connecting 5th wheel to truck

While hooking my 5th wheel to my truck, my truck tires were in a rut. As I gave it some throttle to get out of the rut, my hitch hit the king pin with such force that it move the trailer back about 12 inches. I immediately disconnected and inspected the hitch and king pin. I did not see any damage. The ride home was without incident. Everything seemed normal. My question is, are these trailers and hitches designed to take this type of blow on occasions, or, could there be any hidden damage that I may have caused? Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you
Nick1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2017, 03:05 PM   #2

Not understanding what happened? How did the hitch hit the pin without riding up into the jaws? And the trailer moved back a foot and did not fall on the bed?
I think you are fine, would be more concerned about the legs sliding backwards on the ground, if I picture this correctly.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:10 PM   #3

This kind of banging around can be tolerated by the hitches.. you should watch an untrained drive trying to connect a 53 ft trailer to a class 8 tractor.... what a hoot...

I have an 8x8 that is cut to precisely go between the two tires with 3/8 clearance against each tire.... when I disconnect I have this in place... I've had my 5er try and roll away... in the same breath... you have two choices when connection... I use the 8x8, as its still in place from disconnecting... and I often, if I think there might be a problem... I'm connect the trailer to the truck... I'll clamp down the trailer brakes when backing and allow the trailer brakes to attempt to keep the RV from moving...
Old 04-11-2017, 03:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Not understanding what happened? How did the hitch hit the pin without riding up into the jaws? And the trailer moved back a foot and did not fall on the bed?
I think you are fine, would be more concerned about the legs sliding backwards on the ground, if I picture this correctly.
The king pin hit the hitch in the jaws. Also, the front legs slid off of the plastic pieces that they were sitting on
Old 04-11-2017, 04:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick1234 View Post
The king pin hit the hitch in the jaws. Also, the front legs slid off of the plastic pieces that they were sitting on
There was just another recent post where they were warning about that and how it can cause the trailer to fall on the bed rails of the truck when this exact thing happens. Sorry man. That sucks
Old 04-11-2017, 04:20 PM   #6

WHEEL CHOCKS

1st ON

LAST OFF
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:38 PM   #7

The way I am understanding it, the pin was lined up with the jaws. You were lucky that it wasn't misaligned, that would have caused the trailer to fall on the bed of the truck, that can get expensive, ask me how I know. In answer to your question, yes the hitch & the pin box should be able to handle the jolt. It also sounds like you didn't have the trailer wheels chocked, they should be until the the hitching is done.
John
Old 04-11-2017, 04:42 PM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
Glad nothing was damaged. Usually the landing gear is the first thing to get damaged. Kingpin and hitch are pretty tough. I suggest a close look at all moving parts and bolts on the landing gear. Since you didn't say you had a problem raising them after the incident it would appear no damage was done.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by montara24d View Post
The way I am understanding it, the pin was lined up with the jaws. You were lucky that it wasn't misaligned, that would have caused the trailer to fall on the bed of the truck, that can get expensive, ask me how I know. In answer to your question, yes the hitch & the pin box should be able to handle the jolt. It also sounds like you didn't have the trailer wheels chocked, they should be until the the hitching is done.
John
I actually had the tires chocked. It was raining so the chocks just sunk in the mud
Old 04-11-2017, 05:02 PM   #10

After many years of experience performing drop and hook semi trailer and tractor truck operations, DW one day dropped our 5'vr onto the back of our P/U.

No damage was done except to her pride, and her comfort level of performing that task was shot.

Your situation was a little different as there were two options you should consider using in the future.

Old-Biscuit hit the nail on the head with his suggestion of using chocks, first on last off.

To that i'd like to add, always hook up your electrical cord, and use your trailer brakes as you back under your king pin.

I get it that using the brake may be more difficult for some, so it's a (if you can) suggestion. But chocks are mandatory for your safety, and to help you prevent damage to your property.

If you're an old trucker, you'll remember the old 747 brake system on the older semi trailers. Well remember they always had to be chocked to keep them from rolling off while attempting a hook up.

Newer Semi trailers have spring brakes to serve as parking brakes, and the trailer can't roll away as you slide under it.

Our 5'vers don't work this way, the electric brake system has no parking brake the help us, so we must use wheel chocks.

Check you landing gear legs for bends, and the pins we use for adjusting the height also for bends and make sure they will still go all the way through to the outside and lock.

Check the mounting bolts for you fifth wheel rails. If you see any signs of movement, replace them as soon as possible.

Other than that, the way you described the incident I'm sure you have nothing to worry about as far as damage.

Sorry for rambling, safe travels.
DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:03 PM   #11

Thank you for all the replies. I feel a lot better now.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick1234 View Post
I actually had the tires chocked. It was raining so the chocks just sunk in the mud
Truck tires in RUT
Raining so wheel chocks sunk in MUD
5th wheel front legs slide off plastic and MOVED 12" back

Just how MUCH throttle did you give it to whack king pin with enough force to cause 5vr front legs to slide off plastic, move 12" and press wheel chocks down into the mud

Might want to invest in some wheel chocks for BOTH sides AND some x-chocks that go between the wheels

And as suggested.....hook up 5vr umbilical cord and using brake controller MANUAL lever apply trailer brakes so that IF wheel move trailer brakes will enage
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
WHEEL CHOCKS

1st ON

LAST OFF
This is now my Number 1 rule. Had a near miss a couple of months ago. Was unhooking on completely flat ground at a storage lot. Why chock the wheels?! Pulled the lever to release the jaws and the trailer began moving back VERY slowly. Nothing one can do at that point but watch the inevitable Luckily, it moved only about 4-inches, stopped, and didn't come fully off the hitch. I was a very, very lucky boy that day.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:09 PM   #14

Don't see any info on your tow vehicle ; expect it's a two wheel drive ; being able to inch the truck around in any conditions , was the primary reason I always had a 4X4 as a tow vehicle , low range can help you out of most situations.

BTW; having the front landing legs on the plastic pads , probably saved you from bending, or breaking them off their mounts.

Tags
5th wheel