Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2015, 10:14 AM   #1

Considering buying

We live in the pacific northwest, and would like to live in our rv year round. Which brand is best? Which will be warmest in the winter? What kinds of things should we be on the lookout for? I appreciate all of your feedback! Thanks!
ScottnBrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2015, 10:24 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your plans.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:34 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club

I am choosing Newmar brand.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:54 AM   #4

New or used? What dollars? What size?
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:20 PM   #5

Northwood is manufactured in Oregon you might look at those since they are in your area. We live full time and travel in ours and are quite happy. Most people on the forum have larger and more luxurious ones. We wanted one big enough to live simply and small enough to travel easily. We have an arctic Fox. Silver platinum edition. 29-5T. Seems that all RV's (5 wheels) have some flaws and break in issues but we have encountered very good customer service when needed.

JKN
2014 Arctic Fox 29-5T
5 Wheel. full time
jkn1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:22 PM   #6

BTW if I had it to do over again, I would have preferred a used one and bought my own furniture. Or a new one and bought my own recliners and vouch.

JKN
2014 Arctic Fox 29-5T
5 Wheel. full time
jkn1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:35 PM   #7

Hello - we are in year three in a Dynamax Trilogy 3850D...very residential, modern, sleek and comfortable...not cheap, however...
pismocouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:21 PM   #8

Most manufacturers built entry level, mid level then upper level 5th wheels. There are a few models above even these upper level 5ers. The very top three are all custom builders. They are in no particular order 'SpaceCraft, New Horizons, Continental Coach'. These are very heavy well built rigs that require the F-450/550, Ram 3500 with all the towing options or better yet a Freightliner Sport Chassis type Mid Duty Truck (MDT).

Then probably next are Excel (just went out of business) DRV, Lifestyle, Luxe. The Augusta Luxe is the latest to the up scale mix.

Then to me the Dynamax Trilogy, Holiday Rambler Presidential are probably next.

Then there are over a dozen other manufacturers that build more 'run of the mill' 5th wheels. 5th wheels names like Montana, Infinity, Pinnacle, Cardinal, StoneRidge, Brookstone, Bayhill/Alfa Gold, Landmark, Columbus, Solitude, Redwood.

You have to do your homework to figure out which one of these 5th wheels are better then the other. All are probably ok to full time in.

Things I would look for are 7,000 axles (8,000lb axles are better) 'G' or 'H' rated tires (not 'E' rated) a thick 12" I-Beam Frame (stacked box frame is better) flush mount dual pane windows, and one that advertises good insulation.

Good luck.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote