Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2018, 09:25 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Considering going back to 5th wheel from motorhome, looking for feedback on 2 brands?

Last year we went from a 38' 5th wheel toy hauler of 10 years to a 35' super c motorhome due to now having a Jeep. Turns out I don't really Jeep like I used to and the rest of the group that was supposed to be getting 4x4s, hasn't. I'm still not sold on the motorhome setup, particularly because I'm apparently hypersensitive to the all noises that motorhomes make while driving and it drives me looney. It also rides quite poorly. This in turn annoys the wife and makes the trips a bit less enjoyable for us both.

Anyway, I still have my truck and hitch setup so we are considering going back to a 5th wheel so that all the noises are behind us in a different vehicle, albeit not a toy hauler. In our searchings, we've pretty much narrowed down to 2 models; Grand Design Reflection 337RLS and Keystone Cougar 311RES (not half ton). Each seems to have it's pros and cons but they seem relatively comparable with the Reflection seeming to be slightly less cheap 'feeling'. I'm hoping I can get some real world feedback from owners on these 2 brands to help us reach a better decision. This is not something I'm making a snap decision about (unlike the motorhome, long story) and would really like to have as much info to help me/us make up our minds.

Much thanks in advance!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2018, 10:06 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
oh man that's a tough one...

Isn't the keystone cougar made in the pacific northwest? I know the Reflection is made in indiana... and I've just swore off indiana builds... but the reflections really do look nice, and I was looking at them hard.

I ended up purchasing an outdoors rv 5th, might not be your flavor, but with all of my research I'm pleased there.

But I do know that keystone makes one 5th out that way (pacific NW), and I'd be interested to know if in fact it is the cougar, and what difference that might make in the build quality because so.

Deeper research needed.

You can also try over at the grand design owners forum.. lots of koolaid there.

But here's the thing. I watch PPL like a hawk.. and I don't see many reflections for sale there, but i DO see a ton of solitudes.. and it always makes me wonder why....

I know they have had a lot of axle issues in the recent year models, that swayed me off the solitude, but I do not know that the same issue carried down to the reflection..
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:28 PM   #3

Have you looked at KZ?
https://www.kz-rv.com/products/duran...s/D325RLT.html
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:43 AM   #4

You might consider the "new" tax codes if planning to write it off.
Looks like TT's and 5'ers no longer qualify as 2nd homes.
trenchmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:43 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trenchmonkey View Post
You might consider the "new" tax codes if planning to write it off.
Looks like TT's and 5'ers no longer qualify as 2nd homes.
off topic.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCaminoManT View Post
Last year we went from a 38' 5th wheel toy hauler of 10 years to a 35' super c motorhome due to now having a Jeep. Turns out I don't really Jeep like I used to and the rest of the group that was supposed to be getting 4x4s, hasn't. I'm still not sold on the motorhome setup, particularly because I'm apparently hypersensitive to the all noises that motorhomes make while driving and it drives me looney. It also rides quite poorly. This in turn annoys the wife and makes the trips a bit less enjoyable for us both.

Anyway, I still have my truck and hitch setup so we are considering going back to a 5th wheel so that all the noises are behind us in a different vehicle, albeit not a toy hauler. In our searchings, we've pretty much narrowed down to 2 models; Grand Design Reflection 337RLS and Keystone Cougar 311RES (not half ton). Each seems to have it's pros and cons but they seem relatively comparable with the Reflection seeming to be slightly less cheap 'feeling'. I'm hoping I can get some real world feedback from owners on these 2 brands to help us reach a better decision. This is not something I'm making a snap decision about (unlike the motorhome, long story) and would really like to have as much info to help me/us make up our minds.

Much thanks in advance!
Have you compared....
Depth of the I beam frame - front - middle - back
Number of cross members in the frame
Type of slide mechanisms
Gauge of alum used for the wall framing
Wood or metal roof trusses -wood has less heat transfer
Axle size - capacity
Tire size - capacity
Wheel - capacity
Spring shackle thickness 3/16" - 1/4" - 3/8"
Number of leafs in the springs
Wall thickness
Number of and length of outriggers that extend from the frame to support the outside walls.
Luan used in the outside walls 3/32" -1/8" - 3/16"
How thick is the outside wall panel....Gel coat or fiberglass?
Converter - WAFCO or PD...amperage?
A stand alone 12V dist panel or incorporated into the converter
Gauge of wiring from batteries to 12V panel - slide motors - stab jacks
Number of breakers in the AC panel..fridge on a separate breaker
Transfer switch i.e. shore power - generator
Stab jack system
Actual amount of insulation (not Reflexite) foam or fiberglass insulation in the
walls floors - roof - back wall - front cap
Amount of wood trim that is MDO vs. real wood
How thick are the drawer and cabinet bottoms
Shower stall - molded or laminate
Water pump amperage -more amps = more flow
Tank flush
Luan used in the outside walls 3/32" -1/8" - 3/16"
How thick is the outside wall panel....Gel coat or fiberglass?
Are the tank heated and the size of duct?
Molded back cap or laminated
Single - double glazed windows
Is there an insulated (how much) tank compartment ?
Furnace size
Number of heating registers and location...not close the the air intake
Roof EPDM or TPO
Compartment door thickness
Compartment latch type
Dump valves sizes

Should be enough to keep busy for a few minutes

Depending on the amount of use not all is relevant but gathering the info will give you an idea of which direction to go.
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:30 AM   #7

Hey Alloy, Wow! I thought I was over the top when comparing specs but I'm not in the same league as you. Impressive list.
CecilD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:46 AM   #8

As I've mentioned several times.. Anyone interested in buying either New or Used RV of Any Type would do themselves and their wallets well by checking out rvreviews.net I purchased both their Motorhome and Fifth Wheel Editions of this great comprehensive research tool.

Personally, and based on my recent Fifth Wheel research, Grand Design comes out on top when compared to Keystone, and I'm not saying that Keystone is not a good product, just that GD's ratings and results are better when compared to Keystone.

rvreviews.net has done the majority of the work for you, and they update their publications on an annual basis always giving results for the Last 10 Years on all major manufacturers. Finally, I "am not" connected to OR compensated by rvreviews.net however I probably should be...I'm just a very satisfied customer as to the "value" of their publications.

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilD View Post
Hey Alloy, Wow! I thought I was over the top when comparing specs but I'm not in the same league as you. Impressive list.
Thanks....list was getting long so I stopped typing
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 04:59 PM   #10

Grand Design also has a facebook page that is "patrolled" by their reps. When they find someone having a problem they get involved to assist in what ways they can or if they can. Lots of reviews by current owners that have used the product for many years. You need to make your own choice as to what suits you the best. They have had problems in the past with wheel bearing that were modified by the mfg but have been willing to change them out. Axels are 7k which some change to 8k. Many also change to Disc Brakes but all of these items can be said for just about any mfg today. I am looking at use rather than new. Have a "certified" inspection done on any rig you buy. Hope this helps.
WayRob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:17 PM   #11

GD uses Lippert frames/axles, just like everybody else. All the bearing seal leak issues are directly related to Lippert, and most manufacturers that use Lippert (pretty much every brand in the US) have had axle seal leak issues.

"koolaid"...

Just LOL> @ Plasma

OP,

I'd walk through both models several times, and pick the one with the floor plan you like the most.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:52 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowpokeSlim View Post
"koolaid"...

Just LOL> @ Plasma

OP,

Old 01-13-2018, 04:58 PM   #13

Instead of stepping back, move forward:

https://www.renegaderv.com/renegade-...iner-motorhome

Or find one slightly used.

Happy Hunting!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowpokeSlim View Post
GD uses Lippert frames/axles, just like everybody else. All the bearing seal leak issues are directly related to Lippert, and most manufacturers that use Lippert (pretty much every brand in the US) have had axle seal leak issues.

OP,

I'd walk through both models several times, and pick the one with the floor plan you like the most.

GD switched to Dexter axles this past fall. FYI

X2 - pick the floor plan the DW likes best.

Tags
5th wheel, motorhome