Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2020, 04:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchick View Post
i guess it depends on the make / model of the residential refrigerator. ours has a data plate on it that says it can draw 8.5 amps (120 volts).
Yup, with the ice maker on, heating to drop ice and all of the doors open with the lights on and the compressor starting up.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2020, 04:33 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Heartland RV Club
Jayco Owners Club
I'm not sure on the draw of our residential fridge. But, it's a 20 cu ft. French door Whirlpool. Looking at same size one ,on BestBuy website, says 20 amps.

We don't take delivery until Thursday.

I believe each of the two AC units are 15k BTU.

So... I need to add up how many watts (or amps?) each unit consumes.

One AC unit ___
Elec Fridge ___
55" TV ___
Microwave ___
Fireplace is 1500 watts, I think

The lights, I think, will probably be 12v? Or, 110v coming from the inverter. Not sure.

If we're running off the generator, would the inverter continue to supply any power from the batteries?
Old 01-20-2020, 05:01 PM   #17

I found a 19.7 c.f. Whirlpool French door fridge.

According to the energy guide, it will consume 1700 watts per 24 hour day, or 71 watts per hour.

About 1.7 amps per hour.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2020-01-20-18-55-02.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	272799
Old 01-20-2020, 05:09 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Heartland RV Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I found a 19.7 c.f. Whirlpool French door fridge.

According to the energy guide, it will consume 1700 watts per 24 hour day, or 71 watts per hour.

About 1.7 amps per hour.

Attachment 272799
OK, so...

One AC unit ___
Elec Fridge 2 amps (how many watts is that?)
55" TV ___
Microwave ___

The 20 cf Whirlpool that I found on Best Buy states ANNUAL usage is 563 kilowatt hours. And, it states that it is a 20 amp fridge. I have no idea how that translates to draw on a generator, though.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
I'm not sure on the draw of our residential fridge. But, it's a 20 cu ft. French door Whirlpool. Looking at same size one ,on BestBuy website, says 20 amps.

We don't take delivery until Thursday.

I believe each of the two AC units are 15k BTU.

So... I need to add up how many watts (or amps?) each unit consumes.

One AC unit ___
Elec Fridge ___
55" TV ___
Microwave ___

The lights, I think, will probably be 12v? Or, 110v coming from the inverter. Not sure.

If we're running off the generator, would the inverter continue to supply any power from the batteries?
Well, you won't be running all 5 of those items at once with 3600 watts. Yes, basically add all th watt values together. You never want to exceed 80% of max rating for constant use. It's pretty obvious you're not wanting to use the fireplace at the same time as the A/C, and their current (watt) draw will be very similar. The fridge is the puzzler for me. Nice RV by the way!
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 05:12 PM   #20

but the refrigerator does not run on average usage. it is on some and off some. and yes it probably has ice maker, defrost, etc. so the important number is peak usage. you wouldn't want the refrigerator compressor start up, which you cannot control, to overload the generator and cause it to trip.

also don't forget to add in a load from the converter to recharge the batteries. electric water heater? keurig? hair dryer?

you have a very nice and potentially power hungry unit. yes, you can run it successfully on 30 amps (3600 watts). you'll have to manage what you use. but the 5500 watt generator makes it much easier.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 05:14 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
Hmm, 108 watts is really really low, sounds almost impossible. It could be using a scroll type compressor like our huge LG fridge has, but then it'd be running that 108 watts almost non-stop. Those don't draw much but are designed for linear power usage and operation. 108 watts constant is a lot.

As others posted, I'm also curious to know the make and model of fridge. On a residential fridge you should easily find the make and model tag on the inside or at the hinge area.
My boat fridge had artist free Avanti 7.4 c.f.

Here is it's energy guide.

945 watts per day. Average 40 watts per hour.

Its was a standard old fashion compressor model, so it draws about 120 watts for 20 minutes every hour, or 1 amp when running. It failed 2 years ago.

It now has a same size self defrost model. Don't remember the brand name but it uses a bit less energy. Boat is 200 miles from me and in storage.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2020-01-20-18-22-02.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	272800
Old 01-20-2020, 05:41 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Heartland RV Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchick View Post
but the refrigerator does not run on average usage. it is on some and off some. and yes it probably has ice maker, defrost, etc. so the important number is peak usage. you wouldn't want the refrigerator compressor start up, which you cannot control, to overload the generator and cause it to trip.

also don't forget to add in a load from the converter to recharge the batteries. electric water heater? keurig? hair dryer?

you have a very nice and potentially power hungry unit. yes, you can run it successfully on 30 amps (3600 watts). you'll have to manage what you use. but the 5500 watt generator makes it much easier.
Yes. If we're running the generator in travel, powering one AC unit, to keep the coach cooler at arrival... and the fridge kicks on during that time, I guess it could trip the gen without us knowing it - until hours later.

You're right... the Onan 5500 makes a lot of sense with this coach, but I was just thinking about whether I could get along ok with the Onan 3600.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:53 PM   #23

Quote:
Yes. If we're running the generator in travel, powering one AC unit, to keep the coach cooler at arrival... and the fridge kicks on during that time, I guess it could trip the gen without us knowing it - until hours later.

You're right... the Onan 5500 makes a lot of sense with this coach, but I was just thinking about whether I could get along ok with the Onan 3600.
Buy the bigger generator if that suits you, just be aware that one AC will draw less then 20 amps, more like 16 amps. The breaker for it is only 20 amps.
That leave you 10 + amps for the fridge.

5500 watt generators have 2 outputs, one 20 amp and the other 30 amp. Be sure to configure your loads for each leg.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:07 PM   #24

i'm not trying to tell you how to proceed. but i just noticed that your profile lists scottsdale as your location. we aren't too far away from you and we have been to several arizona locations in the warmer months. trust me, we had both ac's going. most of the time we are on 50 amp park shore power so all is well. but if something went wrong i would not want to throttle back to only one a/c when it is approaching 100 outside. just my thought. the key to this whole thing is to enjoy! it really is a pretty trailer! hope you enjoy it.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:09 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Heartland RV Club
Jayco Owners Club
twin boat and bigchick... thanks to you both for helping me think through this choice. I think either option would work, but there are also drawbacks to each option!

I know that in the hot summer months, all across the south, and up the north east, we will likely need both ACs running. Fine and dandy in a park with 50amp. But without shore power, we would probably be quite thankful to have the 50 amp generator. More money and more weight vs. not having enough cooling - I need to pick the lesser of those two evils.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:31 PM   #26

Quote:
50 amp.

You made the right decision going with a 50 amp generator for 5th wheel with two A/C unit. Nice rig
readog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:35 PM   #27

Freightliner Owners Club
gen

Ok we agree on 5000 watts or more...
what about the portable ones, they are a lot cheeper
they make PL ones.
can i run the exhaust out side?
just run the line to the gen ?

Old 01-23-2020, 09:41 AM   #28

Maybe I missed it but how big is the propane tank? Gennys tend to use quite a bit. Propane can be a real hassle if you have to refill daily or every other.
SteveJ. is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, onan