Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2020, 09:50 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch99 View Post
Ok we agree on 5000 watts or more...
what about the portable ones, they are a lot cheeper
they make PL ones.
can i run the exhaust out side?
just run the line to the gen ?

If it were me and there was a generator prep kit available, I would be going with a permanent installation. Less chance of theft, less lugging around of heavy objects. You have some that will remote start with a fob or key/switch, built in transfer switch.

Sure, you could save a grand or more with a cheapie Home Depot genny but then, you could have saved it with a cheaper 5thh wheel as well. Why go cheap on such a nice rig?

If I were you it'd be a 5500w permanent install. If you intend to use it only occasionally, go for propane. If it's for more intensive and regular use, gas, or even diesel in some cases.

If you do go for gas/diesel don't let the thing sit unused for 6-12 months on end without proper inspections and maintenance. Propane is more forgivng of that, no fuel gunking or algae growth in the tank or carb.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2020, 06:40 PM   #30

My 2 cents are that I have 2 Honda 2200s in the bed of my truck. They can run everything in my 39’ Cardinal and 1 AC. I leave them locked in the bed of my truck and run a cord you can’t hear the run. Total cost 2k and I keep them in my garage if power ever goes out at home.
CapeMayDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 01:42 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Heartland RV Club
Jayco Owners Club
5500 Onan permanently installed is the way we're going to go. Coach is prewired for it, with a power button awaiting inside the coach in the control panel.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:19 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
5500 Onan permanently installed is the way we're going to go. Coach is prewired for it, with a power button awaiting inside the coach in the control panel.
I think you'll love the convenience of that setup. 5500W should power just about anything you'd need. I'm also of the opinion 2 A/C units at the same time is overkill unless you have a shoddy,poorly insulated trailer (which I really doubt yours is) or you like camping in an oven.

For myself, I dislike lugging anything around that isn't needed. We even started using the RV like it was meant to be used. We leave with a full fresh water tank, generally never connect sewer hoses except for the tank dumps, fill fresh water as needed and rarely hook up to power sources. It makes camping way more enjoyable IMO.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 06:37 AM   #33

way to go!!!!! you'll like it when you have to use it. remember to exercise the onan each month.

our trailer is in a storage area without electrical power available. when we go over to do things like vacuum we just press a button and the generator starts up and provides power. very easy. we have also used it when the park had power problems.

keep documentation of the install as onan has a 2 year warranty on all parts, 3 years on major parts.

but most important, enjoy!
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, onan