Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2022, 01:22 PM   #15

I have seen oil bath bearings on Semi trailers seize also . I really don’t see the benefit . I have had the same bearings in my axles for over 50,000 . As previously mentioned just use a good quality grease . As for the grease coming out your rear seal if over pumped it can go onto your brake linings and destroy them . It has happened to many people . Easy to see how it can happen .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2022, 10:32 AM   #16

oil bath hubs

I tried to convert to Kodiak oil bath hubs when we had disc brakes installed 2 years ago. Could not get them to not leak. Very strange since I've had boat trailers with oil bath hubs that didn't leak at all. We had the brake install done by professional installers along with some suspension upgrades and they tried 3 times to get the oil seals to seat -- they all leaked within a block of driving. Dexter 5200# tandem axles on a 2018 Grand Design 303. We went back to grease hubs for peace of mind.
akgourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 04:35 PM   #17

KZ RV Club
FWIW, when we were shopping for a new GN trailer, 2 different salesmen suggested we stick with greasable axles instead of oil bath. We don't use our GN very often and both these guys said that the seals will tend to leak if you're not using the trailer relatively frequently. We ended up with a triple axle with 7000 lb axles instead of the 8k tandem duals that my dad wanted. If you're sitting for weeks, or months, at at time, that would be a concern, IMO. If you're moving every week or two, then it becomes a non-issue, again, IMO.

Lyle
Old 01-28-2022, 03:54 PM   #18

Forest River Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Oil Bath

Based on all of the replies, I think I will just stay with the grease. Thanks for everyone's input. It is much appreciated.
crich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion