Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2012, 12:09 PM   #1

Converter Replacement

I have an 05 Raptor that the converter went out on. I need to replace it and I want to know if there are better brands to go with, and what I should look for besides the 3 levels. I know it is the converter because we checked it withthe meter and it was only putting out 4.56 volts. The one that I took out is an WFCO 55 AMP. I will probly put one in that is 60-70 AMP. Any and All info about replacements will be great.

P.S.- The one I took out is a model #8855.
The world is your see, but YOU must find your own oysters!
fastbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #2

We have an '08 Keystone Challenger. Two weeks ago I had to replace the OEM converter. Went through Amazon and purchased a Progressive Dynamics PD9260CV Inteli-Power 9200 series 60amp Converter/charger with built-in Charge Wizard. It came with a remote tell-tale. I am very happy with this up-grade. Total cost with shipping was $172.30.
Dick Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #3

Thanx for the info. I was thinking about that one, but just wanted to make sure that nobody was having any problems with it before I buy.
Can I ask, what made you pick that one?

I like it because of the reverce cycling that it does to remove calsification from the plates. Or am I thinking of another system?

Anyway thanks,
Jared
Old 02-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #4

I have a 05 Challenger that I had to replace my converter in 07. I went with the Progressive Dynamic 9100 55amp with charge wizard and have been very happy with it. It is very easy to install. My old converter I always heard the fan running and on this one I have not heard it yet.In my opinion this would be a good choice to pick. Keystone had mine mounted under the bathroom floor and I moved the new one to the compartment floor and that is why I probably don't hear the fan running.
jeffreyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On paper WFFCO is a good unit. Made in China.

I prefer Progressive Dynamics 9200, Xantrex True Charge, IOTA with IQ4.

PDI (Progressive Dynamics) is a US firm if I recall correctly.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Take a look at the specs for your batteries. I run Trojan T-105 and they desire are 14.8 volt absorb charge voltage. The Iota with IQ4 is the only one I found in that range that will deliver 14.8. The others were 14.4 or 14.6.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:30 PM   #7

Fastbal, I went with the PD because of 1) Price, 2) It has 4 stages, 3) I like the remote tell-tale, and the various comments I found on this and one other site (escapees.com).
Dick Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #8

Thankyou for all the info. I think I will be buying the one from Progressive. It seems to be the one that everyone likes.
THanks.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:31 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Here's another Progressive Dynamics satisfied customer! I just installed another one in our "New to us" fifth wheel on Saturday. The OEM converter was still working, but I'd rather keep the brand new battery in tip top shape..

I left the OEM converter in the unit, should there ever be a problem with the PD9260C.. Although, I have never heard of anyone having problems with one of these units...

The first PD9260C I installed, was two years ago and in our last fiver.. Had I left the OEM converter in place that time, that PD converter would have moved to the fiver we just bought!
EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter, replacement