Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2021, 08:30 AM   #1

Corners cut for 20-21 models?

I know the last year or so I have read certain things had shortages and there was talk of manufacturers cutting corners. Anyone know how common that was and what brands/items were most common. The only one I remember specifically seeing was insulation. Seems like there were a couple other things I read about but don't remember them.
0rion is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2021, 09:29 AM   #2

https://www.rvtravel.com/pathetic-qu...oducing-1017b/
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 10:58 AM   #3

Not only do you get poor quality but you are forced to pay the current high price!
Fogbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 12:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post

Dealers are no better

POT meet KETTLE
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 12:07 PM   #5

"....The industry is projecting it will produce nearly 580,000 rigs by the end of 2021, and set a new record in 2022 with more than 600,000 new factory shipments."... How do you produce that kind of numbers with shortages?
Old 09-13-2021, 12:19 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Almost 600,000 new RVís, WOW! Does anyone know how many new RV sites were built in 2021?
2-Nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 12:21 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-Nickels View Post
Almost 600,000 new RVís, WOW! Does anyone know how many new RV sites were built in 2021?
Doesn't really matter in the long run. 90% of them will be sitting in a yard somewhere after the novelty wears off.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 12:23 PM   #8

Just a WAG, but I assume not any where near 500,000.
2020 Chevy Tahoe, etrailer XHD 10500 tow bar, Demco SMI AirForce 1.
seeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 12:41 PM   #9

We went and looked at some new wolfpacks today. We're in the early stages of shopping just to see what works for us at our price point. My wife actually has the eye for detail as good as anyone I know. She was pointing out loose moldings, staples shot through the bottom of cabinets, etc etc. Not sure what someone in our position is supposed to do. Buy an 18-19 I suppose even though those prices are on par with new campers. We really wanted new but may be rethinking that. I want to look at a rogue 371 at some point but doesn't seem like I should expect much more....same price point and both forest river.
0rion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 06:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Dealers are no better

POT meet KETTLE
My immediate thought. They are finally unable to hide the problem anymore and now the blame game has started for real.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
My immediate thought. They are finally unable to hide the problem anymore and now the blame game has started for real.
And what are dealers going to do about it?
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:33 AM   #12

Coastal Campers
We take possession of our very first Fifth Wheel - a 2022 Alliance Paradigm 310RL - on Thursday, 9/15/2021. The rig got here last week and I did an Aircraft QA Inspection on it (Old Navy Aviation Maintenance Chief habit!) with and without the GM. Overall it was not as bad as I had thought it would be from all I've seen and read the past several months:

INSIDE
* Wallboard joint tape was peeling up on edges inside the rig in several places.
* Walls had not been wiped down at factory to get rid of residue from putty used to fill staple holes in wallboards.
* Storage under bed - staples in outboard wall needed fixed.
* Rig needs cleaned top to bottom due to lots of manufacturing debris on floor, under furniture, inside drawers and cabinets.
**WARRANY ISSUE for ALLIANCE - Microwave control pad has deep gouges and scratches in it. Dealer to initiate warranty claim on it

OUTSIDE
*Passenger side propane door needs replaced due to bottom lock being jammed and door appears to be bent. WARRANY ISSUE for ALLIANCE
* Driver and Passenger side propane door framing - Bottom lips on both where seal is inside is also bent outward - when they put propane bottle in at dealer. WARRANY ISSUE for ALLIANCE
* Entry door steps needed locking mechanism adjusted so that the steps actually locked in place when raised.

We will do the normal dog-and-pony show with dealership on Thursday prior to signing anything. The one where they go through everything and show us how to operate everything. I'm sure we'll find more stuff....just the way it goes I guess.

Looking forward to getting this rig out and camping AFTER I get my F350 from Ford...another long and aggravating situation!!!!
Bhidalgo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:36 AM   #13
JDT

Dealers deserve all the blame that can be placed on them but they are between a rock and a hard place. They need to sell units to stay in business and they need to keep their service department busy but I would think warranty work is less profitable and generates most of the negativity toward them. My dealer is the best we have ever used but getting an appointment for a propane regulator recall is months out because of a shortage of parts.

Our 20 model was built in December 19/January 20 and I have found very little to complain about. I think we got in just under the wire. Some of the Pinnacles built after the virus got in full swing came in without a molded rear cap which is supposed to be standard. I doubt if there was any credit in the pricing.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 11:41 AM   #14

Coastal Campers
One thing the GM at the dealer I am working with told me - off the cuff - is that Alliance RV has been trucking in workers from Chicago on a daily basis to get work done at their plant. Something like $1.5K a day in wages is what they are paying these individuals. I can see where that would be a huge issue impacting the quality of workmanship, if that is happening and the pre-COVID workforce is maxed out on work capacity.

I think what we are all experiencing since 2020 is a sign of the times with everything these days. Gone are the days of just walking into a store, a dealership, or ordering something online and having it available to purchase. Heck, it took me 4 times, with 4 different online retailers, over a 2 month period recently to finally get the iGEN 4500 generator I wanted for our rig. My 2022 F350 is held up -AGAIN - after over 12 weeks on the special order list mainly due to chips.

I think we are all in for a LONG couple of years regardless of what we buy. I'm not about to start complaining because at the moment I do not see there being any type of quick fix for any of it. As long as I'm still vertical and breathing I'm happy...sorta...LOL
Bhidalgo is online now   Reply With Quote