Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2018, 07:59 PM   #1

Question Correct My Sewer Logic

We are currently on our second trip and this campsite has full hook ups.

I have everything connected as you would expect, but no valves open just yet.

My thought process: I can open the grey and galley valves the whole time, but wait until the end of the trip for the black tank. My thinking is; flushing poo one flush at a time will just leave bits in the hose, and possibly not make it down at all. So I figured I would empty it and flush it at the end.

Am I going about this wrong? Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2018, 08:02 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Fairly close. The only thing I would do is close the grey water valve a day or so before dumping the black tank. That way you can dump the black tank, then the grey. That flushes the black tank "leavings" out of the hose and fittings. Also you shouldn't dump either tank till they're 3/4 full, that helps pull the solids out of the tanks.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:02 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
That is a well accepted method that most of us use.
Dump when leaving or full.
Black first then rinse with the grey dump.
Then rinse if you can or want to.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:03 PM   #4

Sounds good, close your grey tanks 1 day before leaving and use them to flush out your sewage pipe.
mikewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:11 PM   #5

Hi
Your thinking is close.
1. Make sure black tank has water in it before you start loading it. Couple of gallons at least. Always ensure you have more water than solids. If solids are too dry they will not drain out.
2. Make sure you have lots of gray water to flush out your sewer hose after you dump black tank.
3. Dump black tank when close to full. If not full add water until it is. More water means faster water flow and better cleaning out
4. Always dump black first then gray
5. If you need to empty Gray's more often make sure you save enough at time of black dumping to flush out your slinky hose.

This is how we do it.

I have seen campers with tower of stinky power in black tank from lack of water.
You don't want to ever deal with this issue!

RoadrunnerII
Old 04-06-2018, 08:21 PM   #6

RV Waste tanks are shallow and have a 'lip' where the dump line exists the tanks

Therefore if dump valves are left open the liquids will trickle out as they are placed into the tanks....grey/galley/black

Black tank....
Ever look down into a Pit Toilet?
Big pyramid mound of poop that builds up and all liquid as run off the sides..
So do NOT leave that dump valve open or you will have that poop pyramid

Grey tank....
Body oils, sloughed skin, soap scum etc can also build up when not FLUSHED out

Galley........
Food stuff, oils/greases, soap scum etc can build up when not LFUSHED out

Think of it as a fast flowing river vs a slow trickling creek
That Fast Flowing/High Volume River can move boulders
That Slow Flowing/trickling--low volume creek can't even nudge a pebble out of the way

RV Waste "Holding" Tanks------hold the stuff, wait until full/almost full (add some water if needed) then OPEN the dump valves and let the WHOOSH affect carry the stuff down and out.
Black tank first then Galley then Grey
Add couple gallons of water back into tanks so it can slosh around, keep bottom of tank wet so any stuff left behind doesn't stick and dry out.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:25 PM   #7

Wow! So many great and fast replies!

Thank you so much!

(Poo pyramid)
Old 04-06-2018, 08:42 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Do not leave gray/galley tank open unless you have a good sized dip in your waste hose making an artificial P-trap or you can get sewer flies in the gray tank which can and will come in the trailer.

Personally I only open the gray valve when I think it is more than half full. Mine is 40 gallons so there is plenty of room for a shower or 2 before even getting close to full.

I also fill the black tank 25% full with water immediately after dumping. Never had a problem doing it that way. Folks who try to conserve water have more trouble there. Lots of water is the key to success. No chemicals needed either. It takes days to weeks for septic tank bacteria to colonize in large enough numbers to digest waste and you will be dumping long before that happens.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:40 PM   #9

^^^
That's the proper procedure. You don't want to leave ANY valves open. It may not smell like poop, but grey water will smell. Empty grey when it's close to being full, but like everybody else says, you want plenty of grey to flush the black when ready, even if you have to add more water to the grey.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:54 AM   #10

Gray kind of depends. Some folks with high water usage wait until the day before. The rest of us leave both valves closed so that the gray is full when we dump. We just don't use enough gray water in one day to do the job.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:10 AM   #11

...nothermark has it right, leave them shut....I don't want my coach sewer system left open/exposed to anyone else's poo system 24/7. Who knows what is down there--and the potential for sewer gas!! Nuf said--know what I mean???????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:37 AM   #12

With my wife and her W/D, I would be dumping the gray water tank twice a day, so we leave our's open. I don't think you could mess up the gray tank which ever method you use. There are a lot of ways to deal with the black tank, it's a robust system that most people are scared to deal with and they don't understand it. I leave our black tank open for the last 5 1/2 years which I admit is a not the normal procedure method, but it works for me. No flies, no smell, and no thinking about when to dump.
If you try the open valve method, limit the use of toilet paper into the tank. TP is just another solid in the tank and if the TP does dry out it will be stuck the to tank bottom. Reminds me of a school bathroom where kids would splat wet TP to the ceiling, it was hard to scrape off.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:11 AM   #13

I never leave the grey or black open for the simple reason that if you get a dry trap in one of your sinks or shower then the sewer gasses could creep up into your RV. Same with the black tank. If your toilet goes dry for any reason then it's an open line to the sewer.
Pew. It fairly simple to just dump when needed.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:44 AM   #14
YC1

If you add an outlet valve device that blocks everything you can dump black, close the outlet valve and open gray to allow it to flow into the black until they level. Then close gray and open outlet again. This will give you a couple of quick flushes of the black tank.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote