Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2017, 12:15 PM   #1

Cost to lift fifth wheel

So, my Cedar Creek is pretty low slung - to the point that it's limiting where I can go, even with fairly small angles,depending on the specific terrain. As a result, I scraped the back of it and did some cosmetic damage to the rear fiberglass cap.

I'd like to lift the trailer a few inches. It already has the Moryde independent suspension, and I'll be calling them for a price. Other than that, what kind of cost would I be looking at elsewhere, or should I even consider doing it elsewhere?
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2017, 12:41 PM   #2

I'd buy there stuff and do it myself
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:11 PM   #3

With the Mor/ryde IS, I would let them do the lift. Those axles are totally different. It is also possible that the rubber shear mounts have sagged some contributing to your problem.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:13 PM   #4

Alko axles are basicly the same thing.......both bolt to frame...and work the same.....Alko's are under mine
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Alko axles are basicly the same thing.......both bolt to frame...and work the same.....Alko's are under mine
Except torsion axles have the rubber in compression and Mor/ryde is in shear. They can settle. Also there are multiple mounting holes for the rubber mounts. So it may be possible to lift the trailer using other holes. But it is not an EZ change.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:35 PM   #6

If you have a hyd leveling jack system that will lift the trailer off the ground and depending on how high the shear blocks are now it is easy for someone that is hands on to adjust the shear blocks.

If you need more than that the adjustment allows then the Morryde IS mounting brackets need to be cut (Zipcut) off brackets and a 2" or greater chunk of steel needs to be inserted (welded) between the frame and the IS.

If the frame is tube rather than I beam you don't want a backyard Joe cutting away at the frame.
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:26 AM   #7

Yeah, why are these new trailers so low slung? I ripped a jack off my Keystone Hideout, remounted them forward and bent one after that. I've looked at casters for the back and will likely do that.

I did a bunch of research and it seems anything you do has to be custom fabrication work. Kind of surprising there's not an easy fix for those of us with 5th wheels that might see a gravel road or uneven gas station driveway apron once in a while.

I'm thinking it would be a couple thousand dollars to do it right. And that also means finding someone that knows their way around RVs. I'd be afraid to just let some guy with a welder that thinks he knows what he's doing take a whack at it.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
Yeah, why are these new trailers so low slung? I ripped a jack off my Keystone Hideout, remounted them forward and bent one after that. I've looked at casters for the back and will likely do that.

I did a bunch of research and it seems anything you do has to be custom fabrication work. Kind of surprising there's not an easy fix for those of us with 5th wheels that might see a gravel road or uneven gas station driveway apron once in a while.

I'm thinking it would be a couple thousand dollars to do it right. And that also means finding someone that knows their way around RVs. I'd be afraid to just let some guy with a welder that thinks he knows what he's doing take a whack at it.
Flipping axles works for most people even Alko but Morryde cannot be flipped.

When buying casters keep in mind that one caster may need to support up to 1/2 the GWV of the trailer.

Bumper on ours has 22" of ground clearance. I used 2" thick UHMW plastic for scuff blocks.
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:13 PM   #9

Many of us have had 2" or 3" risers installed between the IS suspension components and the frame members. We had this done from the factory which was approx. $300 option. Others have gone back to MorRyde and had this done for approx. $1500.
They also lower the leveling jacks, assess brake lines etc. The stairs may require some additional attention. You'll also need to insure you are in a good position with the overall height of the rig, being under 13'6" .
There are also skid roller options for the rear of the frame but of course they consume some clearance also depending on mounting configurations. I like the "I used 2" thick UHMW plastic for scuff blocks." idea.
Best of luck.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:42 PM   #10

Had the Correct Track II installed on our rig. A 40' 5th wheel . Cost $ 2000.00, worth every penny. Raised the rig 2". Now at 13'-5". Pulls great. Would do it again if need be.
Tide Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:54 PM   #11

I don't have independent suspension but needed to lift my 5th as well. Local trailer shop charged me $750 to add a two inch sub frame and additional cross members on that portion. Looks like quality work welds etc but time will tell on that i suppose.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:04 AM   #12

Mor Ryde quoted a rough quote of $2k to weld in a subframe to lift it. I checked out the shear bushings and found that they won't cut it for me. On a positive note, when looking, I found one that was bad, and they are shipping me a new one under warranty.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
Mor Ryde quoted a rough quote of $2k to weld in a subframe to lift it. I checked out the shear bushings and found that they won't cut it for me. On a positive note, when looking, I found one that was bad, and they are shipping me a new one under warranty.
I'd expect them to rough quote a tad higher than lower due to unforeseen problems. Curious if they asked, you have E/H disk brakes?
I'm looking for clarification on what you found? Curious about these shear bushings?
So as you were looking to see if there was any vertical adjustment left in your rubber torsion spring mounting holes, typically used by the factory for leveling adjustment(s). You noticed one of your torsion springs was damaged and MorRyde is providing one? Was it fore or aft axle? Door or off door?
Thanks.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:08 PM   #14

Before I crawled under there to look, I had noticed the trailer leaning to the drivers side. I believe it was getting worse over the last two days of our trip to Alaska, but....what're you gonna do in the middle of nowhere?

One of the shear bushing was completely separated from the metal plate that they're bonded to, hanging about an inch and a half lower than the rest. I can't remember for sure at the moment, but I think it was the front one.

Mor Ryde has been good about the replacement - not only is it covered, they're express shipping it to me so that I can get back on the road. I think I'm also gonna buy one for a spare so that I have it on hand in case of future failure.