Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2019, 10:31 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadEyePie View Post
Got back yesterday and re-weighed after filling up the tanks.

Steer Axle 5220 lbs (before 5000 lbs)
Drive Axle 8640 lbs (before 8500 lbs)

Trailer Axles 12580 lbs (before 12760 lbs)
Gross Wt. 26440 lbs (before 26260 lbs)

Trailer Axle weight dropped 180 lbs because this second weighing, the fresh water tank was empty, which also shifted more weight to the truck. As stated, my fresh water tank is behind the RV axles and had about 20+ gallons of water on the first weigh ticket.

Gross weight went up 180 lbs because this time me, my wife and the dog (who gained 10 lbs) were in the truck. I believe in the first weigh ticket my weight was include as I was standing on the scales outside of the truck, but the wife and dog were not on the scales. Also on the second weight, I had about 20 lbs of firewood in the bed that wasn't there before.

Pretty similar weights. I'm still good on all the axle wt. ratings but now I'm 825 lbs over GVWR for the truck 13025.

I'm getting a pin weight around 4620 which is 25% - 26% that part seems higher. I guess I could get rid of the 5500 generator and drop the front weight of the RV by 300-400 lbs. Or I could run with the FW tank full as the axle wt of the RV can take more, but then I'm pulling more with the truck.

Yeah - the low GVWR of the GM twins is a bummer, and is the primary downside compared to the other manufacturers in my eyes (Ford and RAM have 14000lbs GVWR's) As long as your under your axle weights, I think your fine.

We always ran with a full fresh water tank (its a subject of much debate here on the forum). The truck certainly won't notice the extra 3% added pull weight but a reduction in pin weight might give you some piece of mind. Generators are not super common in the 5th wheel world, and yes, you figure is an extra 300lbs+ right on the pin so that helps explain the heavy pin weight. One of the reasons I didn't put one in, but I really wish we had had it - very convenient.

Did you weight the rig empty before you started adding stuff? Might be worth doing - I know we added about 3000+lbs of stuff when we were full timing. Much less weight now that we are "weekenders". Also - remember you will only get heavier the longer you go. You can try moving some items around inside to help as well. We moved a lot of heavy items from under the bed to the rear parameter storage for example - my DW was carrying around 100lbs of dumbbells...under the bed, right on top of the pin...those got sent to the back.
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2019, 10:44 PM   #44

Quote:

Trailer Axle weight dropped 180 lbs because this second weighing, the fresh water tank was empty, which also shifted more weight to the truck. As stated, my fresh water tank is behind the RV axles and had about 20+ gallons of water on the first weigh ticket.

Gross weight went up 180 lbs because this time me, my wife and the dog (who gained 10 lbs) were in the truck. I believe in the first weigh ticket my weight was include as I was standing on the scales outside of the truck, but the wife and dog were not on the scales. Also on the second weight, I had about 20 lbs of firewood in the bed that wasn't there before.

Pretty similar weights. I'm still good on all the axle wt. ratings but now I'm 825 lbs over GVWR for the truck 13025.

I'm getting a pin weight around 4620 which is 25% - 26% that part seems higher. I guess I could get rid of the 5500 generator and drop the front weight of the RV by 300-400 lbs. Or I could run with the FW tank full as the axle wt of the RV can take more, but then I'm pulling more with the truck.
At the risk of repeating myself, I'm pretty sure your entire issue would be resolved if you raised up the front end of your RV. I'm not sure how that works with a regular 5th wheel hitch because I have had an Andersen Ultimate from the beginning which makes it easy to raise or lower the front end within a range of 6 inches or so.
BikesAndGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:49 AM   #45

OK, you are over on GVWR. How does it tow? I'd probably stress the GVWR more by running with full water to lighten pin load. I'd be more concerned with stopping ability. Disc brakes?
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 05:01 PM   #46

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtCamper View Post
OK, you are over on GVWR. How does it tow? I'd probably stress the GVWR more by running with full water to lighten pin load. I'd be more concerned with stopping ability. Disc brakes?
It tows great. Plenty of towing power and the trailer mode / exhaust brakes work great as well. RV has 8K axles, disc brakes and H rated Goodyear tires. I've not felt braking or control down hill has been an issue. Running with full FW tank should help the pin weight but may push the RV closer to the 18,000 lbs GVWR. I can lighten the load in the bed some by maybe 100 lbs. I'll work on it. Next time out, I'll weigh with FW tank full.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:38 AM   #47

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikesandGuns View Post
At the risk of repeating myself, I'm pretty sure your entire issue would be resolved if you raised up the front end of your RV. I'm not sure how that works with a regular 5th wheel hitch because I have had an Andersen Ultimate from the beginning which makes it easy to raise or lower the front end within a range of 6 inches or so.
I don't think I can raise it more than 1" to 1.5". Doesn't seem that will make much difference in the hitch weight. I've already raised the hitch 1.5". Don't think there's much more I can do here.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:09 AM   #48

Quote:
It tows great. Plenty of towing power and the trailer mode / exhaust brakes work great as well. RV has 8K axles, disc brakes and H rated Goodyear tires. I've not felt braking or control down hill has been an issue. Running with full FW tank should help the pin weight but may push the RV closer to the 18,000 lbs GVWR. I can lighten the load in the bed some by maybe 100 lbs. I'll work on it. Next time out, I'll weigh with FW tank full.
I have almost an identical truck as your's a 2018 Chevy 3500 DRW 4x4 LTZ. All of my numbers are OK on all the numbers except for the truck's GVWR which I was slightly over when fully loaded with everything I could haul added for a weight test. You have plenty of capacity on your axles, you should have more weight on your front axel when loaded so I would check to be sure you have your hitch set to be over the rear axle not behind them.

These truck's are amazing. I had to do an almost immediate stop last week while towing my 5th wheel RV on I-85 due to some guy just stopping in the passing lane. While I hope to never have to do that again, I was amazed at how well the truck stopped with the over 26,000 combined weight of the truck and RV.
Maxduramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 11:08 PM   #49

Hitch Height

Quote:
I don't think I can raise it more than 1" to 1.5". Doesn't seem that will make much difference in the hitch weight. I've already raised the hitch 1.5". Don't think there's much more I can do here.
So, I guess you have the standard 5th wheel hitch. Have you ever considered the Andersen ultimate? It weighs less than 40 lbs and is easy to remove from the truck bed. And you have about a 6" height adjustment.

In any case, nice talking to you and good luck in your travels!
BikesAndGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 11:48 PM   #50

Quote:

Next thing you need to check is in VA are you required to have a non CDL Class A license because you are over 26,000 Lbs GCWR.

PA just changed their law or clarified it so that I need a Non CDL Class A license, I am over 26,000 Lbs.

Check to see what the requirements are in VA so you are legal.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:01 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc12 View Post
Next thing you need to check is in VA are you required to have a non CDL Class A license because you are over 26,000 Lbs GCWR.

PA just changed their law or clarified it so that I need a Non CDL Class A license, I am over 26,000 Lbs.

Check to see what the requirements are in VA so you are legal.
If that is the case I would tell no one I am 266lbs over 26k.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:17 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
If that is the case I would tell no one I am 266lbs over 26k.
It does not work that way.

If you get stopped and weighed or you are in an accident you are in trouble if you do not have the correct licensen.
Statements like yours is inappropriate and very poor advice to someone who is looking for help.
Doc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:58 AM   #53

Tiffin Owners Club
Doc12, Your response prompted me to investigate to see if I needed a CDL. In VA, a CDL does apply to vehicles over 26,001 lbs with some exceptions. I appreciate the advice but I don't think it applies in VA. The following is from the Virginia Supplement to the CDL Manual.

Commercial driver’s license requirements don’t apply to: ……. vehicles operated by persons only for personal use, such as recreational vehicles and rental moving vans.

Also Mobilmike has offered a lot of helpful advise since I started a year ago not having any knowledge or experience with RVs. I have appreciated the fact that he and many others were willing to take the time to help me.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:35 AM   #54

Commercial Member

Exceeding GVWR. You may be able to pull but the safety concern is stopping distance. This one of the main reasons for a GVWR limit.
Also where are you when you look at GCWR ?
You won't know how much of a problem till you have an emergency stop because a car in front of you does a sudden stop and you end up with your front bumper in their back seat. Just hope no kids were in their back seat.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:14 AM   #55

I may be wrong but I believe the OP has a Trailer Saver Hitch. Hes beyond the obsolete solid mount hitches. So not much raising room there. The question is whether his pin box is telescoping or can be moved down to raise the nose of the 5ver up. Putting water in the fresh water tank will alleviate the pin weight a little. Either way with the pin weight as heavy as it is will take some weight off the steering axle. The pin weight is like a giant lever that far back at the rear of the truck.

What pin box is on your Beacon can you extend it to raise the nose. IF the roto flex pin box looking online looks like it has a few different set of bolt holes to move the pin box down and raise the nose up. In this link under customer photo first one on left is what im referring to

https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel.../LC328330.html
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 01:01 PM   #56

Wow, here I am thinking any modern DRW truck will have the capacity to tow any 5th wheel built by companies other than Space Craft, New Horizon, Forks RV.

This DRW truck is on the edge with no extra capacity. The new 2020 trucks I hope will make my previous thought more true. That a DRW truck will have the capacity to tow any 5th wheel except from the manufacturers mentioned.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight