Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2018, 07:34 AM   #1

Crack in sidewall at bedroom slide

I just discovered a crack on the side of our ‘17 Alpine 3301GR. It is at the lower left corner of the bedroom slide looking at it on the outside. Of course, the 1-year warranty expired a couple of weeks ago. The camper has not moved since last October 15th. We live in it full time. We don’t remember the crack being there in the past. We both believe we have looked at the area while doing regular inspections through the winter, but maybe we missed it. I guess it is a stress crack but what is the cause? What do the experts here think it is? What you see on it is some sealer I put on it to keep out water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crack in side wall.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	194296  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2018, 09:15 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would contact the dealer...and maybe the Mfr., and ask it be fixed, even tho the warranty expired a couple of weeks ago. Good customer relations should handle this.

Think a small hole drilled at the ends of the crack...should stop further cracking. Others will chime in with better fix.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:59 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The multiple cracks at the left end of that crack suggest it is an impact fracture rather than a stress crack so I will guess that it is not a warranty issue.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:08 AM   #4

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
The multiple cracks at the left end of that crack suggest it is an impact fracture rather than a stress crack so I will guess that it is not a warranty issue.
See if there is something on the inside that is loose or moving...or....a brace or something associated with the slide mechanism that is excess pressure against the wall???
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:56 AM   #5

Sidewall 'stud' has become detached from lower horizontal member.

Sidewall forward of bedroom slide will have to be removed to gain access to frame member(s) for repairs.

A 'good' rv mfg would correct this issue w/o hassles. ....course it is Keystone RV
Service/Parts/Warranty Inquiry
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:14 AM   #6

Is there any chance you were full-timing in cold weather? Entrapped moisture could freeze/swell and create that kind of crack?

Keep us posted please.

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:45 PM   #7

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
The seam trim piece directly next to the crack and under the slide is there to help alleviate cracks due to pin box flex. However, I would have to agree with others that is looks to be something else like an impact. Look more closely at the cracks and see if you can tell if the area looks impeded like it absorbed and impact or if it is protruding which would indicate something internal pushed it out. Good luck.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:11 PM   #8

Great comments folks! I put a straight edge perpendicular to the crack and it does seem the crack is a high spot. Looking at the inside, it looks like the crack is running along the top edge of the raised floor, maybe along the top of the horizontal framework? A broken/missing weld that allows the slide to push the wall out? A to the comment about the possibility of water getting in there and freezing, I think that is a possibility too. As I mentioned in my original post, the camper has not moved since October and we have not moved the slides either. We are reasonably sure the crack was not there a month ago, but we may have missed it. I am not sure how to proceed now.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:29 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I would contact your dealer and/or Keystone and talk it over with them. It does seem likely that it could be from the framing inside pushing on it. Maybe email a picture to your dealer and see what they think.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 02:27 PM   #10

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
I'll add that a buddy of mine had a Columbus fifth wheel that developed a crack right under the corner of the bedroom slide where you seam trim piece is located. Columbus did not have a seam in that area.
The unit was under warranty so they inspected it for frame/pin box issues and determined there were none.
So they cut out a section of the fiberglass sidewall and determined that a cross member of the frame was a tad too long and was pushing on the sidewall and cracked it.
The warranty guys ground it down and patched the area and actually did a good job.
It could be something like that, too.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:40 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Badda Book; Badda Boom. To quote a recent motel commercial.

Definitely looks to be a stress induced failure. Hope you can get it repaired by the builder. Problem is getting it there and waiting weeks for parts/repairs. Been there, done that. Do most of my own repairs now.

Best wishes for a good outcome.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:54 PM   #12

Have you tried having the wife run the slide in with you on the outside with your hand on/around the crack while it’s closing/closed for movement? This might let you know if there’s something broke inside the wall.
Good luck safe travels
2015 GMC Denali 3500 SRW CC SWB
Stever53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 01:39 AM   #13

It's definitely a stress fracture, in my opinion. That said, it could be benign. I've frequently seen that sort of cracking in the paint on caps at the wing tips of light aircraft. They're fiberglass and flex a lot and most paint products are not as flexible as the material they're on.

However, you won't know for sure until you can see what's under the paint. If the material under the paint is fiberglass, take care of how you remove the paint. The majority of liquid paint stripping products will soak into the fiberglass and react with the epoxy.

If you want some good ideas for inspecting it yourself, this is a good resource: AC 43.13-1B. It's the fallback guide used in my line of work when an aircraft doesn't have a manufacturer issued maintenance manual.
AKFlyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:00 AM   #14

May also want to check with your insurance company. They may cover the repair.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide